Page 1 of 2
Best Buy Blows?

I concur.

We've definitely heard some horror stories about Best Buy, but it looks like a DC woman named Raelyn Campbell has had enough: she's opening up a big can of America Sauce on the retailer in the form of a $54m lawsuit after it lost her laptop during warranty service. Campbell says she bought a laptop and $300 extended warranty from Best Buy in 2006, and took the machine in for service when the power switch broke last May.

Told repairs would take two to six weeks, she set off on a business trip, only to find that her laptop had gone missing when she returned in August. Fast forward through several more weeks of run-around and delays, and the best the Buy would offer for losing a $1,100 machine with all her data on it was a $900 gift card.

After being informed of the potential for identity theft, Campbell filed the multimillion-dollar suit, which prompted Best Buy to up its offer to a whopping $2,100 plus a $500 gift card. Campbell says she's not dropping the case until she finds out what happened to her machine -- and she wants ol' Blue to train its employees on privacy issues and revamp its warranty policy. Honestly? We'd say she has a better chance of getting the $54 million.

That sucks. Are you guys fond of BB?
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by fob12
for the lulz!

Bravo for a great first post.
she won't win 54 million dollars, that's absurd. If she lowered her price a bit I think she might be able to win... I mean an enormous corporation like Best Buy will turn out some pretty awesome lawyers to keep 54 million dollars.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
best buy is so damn overpriced with everything they sell. im glad there getting f u c k e d.
I love America and its retarded lawsuits. Let us sue everyone for anything that goes wrong. Seriously, now. I hope this lady loses and not because I like Best Buy but because this kind of thing is petty and completely ridiculous.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
54 million .. bit greedy lol
i mean ok fair enough BB fooked up big time but 54mil ?
id say she could get 1 or 2 mill
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
in my opinion, best buy should have offered her the full cost of the laptop at it's original retail value, but seriously... $54 million?
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

She is an idiot. Not that Best Buy is great or anything... but she is going WAY too far.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I remember this case where a guy sued a mom and pop business dry cleaners for losing his favorite pants for like a couple million.
They later found his pants but they had to go out of business because of all the costs of getting a lawyer and ****.

These people suck.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
same kindsa thing happend with my desktop but in a uk store called comet were trying to get suff out of them lol
Quote by i have to pee
I love America and its retarded lawsuits. Let us sue everyone for anything that goes wrong. Seriously, now. I hope this lady loses and not because I like Best Buy but because this kind of thing is petty and completely ridiculous.

I think personally she should just take the settlement. That story is pretty vague though. If she was on a business trip and lost her laptop with all of her information for her work, she might have lost her job. Like the article said she's also at risk for Identity theft, and on top of that the laptop cost $1100.

Reason for a law suit? I think so, but only if she did lose her job... if not, then she should just take the 2100 dollar settlement.

Overall, I agree with you that lawsuits are way out of proportion.

Click me, or I'll die.

I suppose shes somewhat right to sue since they were dickin her around, but suing for that much just makes you look like a jackass.
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
I suppose shes somewhat right to sue since they were dickin her around, but suing for that much just makes you look like a jackass.

If there were no real consequences to her, suing for anything more then the value of the laptop makes her look like a jackass.

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by sock_demon
Then again, why would you settle for 54 million? Why not 55 million?

Or hell, how bout 55 billion since we're making up random amounts. Seriously, this woman is mad.
I think she's doing the right thing. Obviously 54m is too much, she wanted it that way. She's trying to teach Best Buy a lesson, or at least get some publicity out on its ****tyness, so bravo.
Quote by RATM forever
I think she's doing the right thing. Obviously 54m is too much, she wanted it that way. She's trying to teach Best Buy a lesson, or at least get some publicity out on its ****tyness, so bravo.

there's that but also think about it this way. a $500,000 settlement seems like pocket change compared to what's at stake.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I hope this lady gets hit by a bus. Suing a company because it lost your goods for way more than the price of your goods is stupid. She is being greedy, plain and simple. If I had my laptop repaired and they lost it, I would take the company to court to get enough money to buy a new laptop not a new house, car, job (because she won't work anymore if she wins), life, pretty much new everything. I hope BestBuy takes it to court and she gets made to look like an ass. She will waste all this money on a lawyer and get nothing more than the price of a new laptop.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
She can shove $53,998,000 of that money up her goddamn ass.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Article
she's opening up a big can of America Sauce

Awesome.
<Han> I love Hitler
She's gonna lose more money paying for a friggin lawyer, dumb bitch.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Wow, well I guess they don't call it "Land of the free" for no reason.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by nehpets5555
54 million .. bit greedy lol
i mean ok fair enough BB fooked up big time but 54mil ?
id say she could get 1 or 2 mill

First, the TS should've posted the whole article or used a better source.

She said herself that she doesn't expect to collect even a substantial percentage of that money. She just wanted to bring attention to the problem. You don't think it's egregious that Best Buy lost her laptop, with all of her personal information, risking identity theft besides the loss of personal property, and lied to her for 6 months? Companies like this, that are flagrantly negligent (and also violate the law, in some instance - Washington, DC has a law that requires companies to tell people when they lose their personal information) only respond to this type of pressure. Them giving her $1000 bucks or whatever to go away without having to address the underlying problem is unforgivable.
Quote by i have to pee
I hope this lady gets hit by a bus. Suing a company because it lost your goods for way more than the price of your goods is stupid. She is being greedy, plain and simple. If I had my laptop repaired and they lost it, I would take the company to court to get enough money to buy a new laptop not a new house, car, job (because she won't work anymore if she wins), life, pretty much new everything. I hope BestBuy takes it to court and she gets made to look like an ass. She will waste all this money on a lawyer and get nothing more than the price of a new laptop.

Again, please get the whole story before you decide to wish death upon someone for something that has absolutely nothing to do with you.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by i have to pee

You have to account in all the lost work stored on the laptop, the fact that her identity is currently at risk of being stolen and that she was put under the risk of losing her job.
Good. Everyone come see me at Circuit City!!! hahaha
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
sure its alot of money but best buy is worth billions so who knows what they will do
I think some of YOU GUYS are taking this way out of proportion. Like a few others have pointed out, she's just suing for 54mil but not expecting that. That will just bring attention to the problem AND even if she gets 1% of what she's suing for that's still $540,000. She's at risk of 1) losing her job (if it was a work laptop), 2) Identity theft, 3) And loss of personal property (maybe she lost loads of irreplacable personal data). I'd be pretty pissed if some careless employee lost my property that I trusted to them only to get the runaround for weeks and be treated like I don't matter. Plus not only that but they didn't even offer her the cost of what the laptop cost her in the first place! Best Buy is notorious for treating people like crap when Best Buy screws up; add in the fact that they make billions of dollars a year and there you go.

@ the person above that mentioned the guy suing because of the laundry place losing his pants: I think it was actually a judge that was suing them. I'm not sure of the whole story but I'm pretty sure the case got thrown out. I'm not sure of the aftermath though.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Dirk Gently
First, the TS should've posted the whole article or used a better source.

Yeah, it's my fault. I'm at work and was in a rush.

Thanks for clarifying to everyone.
Hahaaahahaha....way too funny. I wonder which law firm decided on the $54 million pricetag of her losses.

Maybe she should just go to Bestbuy and fall down just to shore up the suit. She should also pay a Bestbuy employee to laugh at her after the fact to increase the punitive damages of the fall.

The American judicial process never ceases to amaze/disgust me.

Edit: Hopefully the presiding Judge will award her the original counter-offer by bestbuy and call her and her legal team a bunch of bloodsuckers.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Feb 12, 2008,
both best buy and future shop do a good job of sucking. They claim they're the most current in technology and such, but all they have are the general components. In computers for instance, they carry maybe a couple of mediocre video cards, or for games, they have such a small stock in all of the time. I don't like either. I prefer the intimacy of a small business, as compared to the commission-based selling mentality of store "experts". Most of these so called experts don't even know what a BIOS chip is! Corporations selling to unknowing consumers things that they don't need, or merchandise that isn't compatible, just pisses me off.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
I remember getting a video card about 5 years ago from Ncix for $140. (Ati Radeon 8500)

The same one at Future Shop was $400 two months later. Yes Future Shop does their fair share of sucking/screwing the unsuspecting consumer.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by diablomastabarb
both best buy and future shop do a good job of sucking. They claim they're the most current in technology and such, but all they have are the general components. In computers for instance, they carry maybe a couple of mediocre video cards, or for games, they have such a small stock in all of the time. I don't like either. I prefer the intimacy of a small business, as compared to the commission-based selling mentality of store "experts". Most of these so called experts don't even know what a BIOS chip is! Corporations selling to unknowing consumers things that they don't need, or merchandise that isn't compatible, just pisses me off.

One time I was in a Best Buy and there was a Mexican guy I overheard talking to a sales associate. The Mexican guy was complaining about his computer saying, "Low page memory," so the Best Buy employee immediately responded with, "You need 2GB more RAM. And also the page file means you need a video card with more memory. Let's go over to video cards..." Needless to say I kinda felt bad for the clueless consumer.

Also, after I had just bought my PS3 I was in Best Buy and decided to look at HDMI cables and the 6ft ones Best Buy had they wanted $120 for. So I went on to Amazon and (no joke) got an HDMI cable for $0.23 (with $4.00 shipping). I was like, "Wow, gg Best Buy you charge 522x what Amazon does for a cable."

Fry's Electronics isn't quite as bad and they have a pretty good selection but they still overcharge compared to Newegg. Newegg is hands down the best major company I have ever dealt with. They always have amazing shipping (free 3 day on lots of stuff and I usually always get it in 2 days), they have a no-hassle return policy, and are just a very friendly company overall.

Newegg
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Feb 12, 2008,
wow.

talk about excessive.

people are a little crazy. i mean, ok, maybe she should sue them for all of what happened, but not for that amount of money.

honestly if i was a judge, and someone brought a case like this to me, id just laugh.
Page 1 of 2