I posted this on the UG chat yesterday, but i'd like to get more opinions on this.

I've always been a fan of the Iceman 400, and I was somewhat heartbroken when a few months ago I found out that Ibanez discontinued it.

Fast forward to yesterday, I walk into a music store looking for a Dean Z in my town and to my surprise the Iceman 400 was right there. I tried it out and it felt great. The store is selling it at 570$ CAD, so with tax and everything it should be around 660$ CAD.

A Canadian dollar is about the same as the American.

Now I've got several worries:

1) I'd need to spend 2 week's worth of salary to get it. I planned on getting a Dean Z which was about 200$ - 300$, but now with this I'm reevaluating my choices.

2) I'm not all that good at guitar. I wouldn't even consider buying an Iceman yet, but seeing as how I may never get a chance to do so in the future, I'm very confused.

3) The new Ibanez ICT700 came out. I really don't like the inverted headstock on it, and it'll be a few hundred dollars pricier, if I buy it.

Now I have three questions to ask you guys:

1) If ever I do stop guitar, do you think I can sell the IC400 for close to the same value I bought it for?

2) Do you think 570$ (660$ with tax) is a fair price for an IC400?

3) Is the ICT700 so much better than the IC400 that it justifies the extra $, and is enough to get me over hating the headstock? :p

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'd also like to know how I should go about buying it. I'm not that experienced with this sort of stuff.

Should I just assume the guy is throwing in a case with the guitar and ask something like: "Does the guitar come with a hard or soft case?"

It's a pretty set music store, so it's not like it's a pawn shop.

Any other tips would be appreciated.
Last edited by Cicerox at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Cicerox
2) I'm not all that good at guitar. I wouldn't even consider buying an Iceman yet, but seeing as how I may never get a chance to do so in the future, I'm very confused.

Irrelevant. If it's what you really want, go for it, lack of talent be damned. Besides, if you get the guitar you've always dreamed about, it might make you want to practice more, and become more skilled. Just for that reason, I'd say go for it
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
1) If you're good at hustling, you might. Those are easy guitars to sell.

2) In Canada, hells yeah.

3) In my opinion. not better at all. The 400 is a Korean guitar, and the ICT is a level-below Indonesian. They'll fade in price significantly faster too.

Get the guitar you want. Holding an instrument you like in your hands is key to being interested in playing.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies. I really appreciated. I think I've pretty much made my choice.

Could you guys just guide me on how to get it? What to look for?

Should I assume the case is included? I never bought a guitar at a store before.
IMO the ICT is too far removed from the original Iceman shape what with the "metal" reversed headstock...the IC400 is where it's at!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm pretty sure they won't include a case.

The Iceman doesn't fit into normal Ibanez molded cases and doesn't come with a case from the factory, so you'd need a third party case - and that's asking too much. A nice shop would throw in a gigbag, but it's up to them. It should come in a box, that's for sure. By the way, which store are you planning to buy from?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Steve's Music Store in Montreal. Thanks for the info though.

Had any experiences with them? I know they have one in Toronto.
Last edited by Cicerox at Feb 12, 2008,
I went to steve's back in Montral once, They are trustworthy, but in this case that's not a factor. TS I suggest that you get the guitar, you won't regret it.
Steve's folks over here are a nice cheery bunch. Ask them if they would throw in one of them Steve's branded gigbags when you buy. Since you're set on buying the guitar, they might as well.
Quote by pifty
Steve's folks over here are a nice cheery bunch. Ask them if they would throw in one of them Steve's branded gigbags when you buy. Since you're set on buying the guitar, they might as well.

Will the Iceman fit in? When I bought my LTD, they didn't have anything that would fit, or so they said
It might fit. The EX doesn't fit because it's wide and pointy at the back, and overally too long for any standard bag. Iceman is normal length, so as long as the horn fits, it should all fit.