View poll results: Which thrash metal amp
Peavy Valveking 112
16 37%
Randall RG75 -NOT the one with digital effects
11 26%
Other- Please state which one.
16 37%
Voters: 43.
Which would be the best amp for my thrash metal cravings? And up to $500 at the very tops. If you chose other, please state which one. Currently I have a Spider 3 15 with a RP-80 multi effect pedal (gross!). I have a ESP LTD F-250 guitar (and loving it). And once I get the amp, Ill get some EMG 81-85.

Sometimes I have clean intros, so clean is a factor.
Im in a band and I gig, so make that a factor too.

PS- If you think that these amps will almost work, but just need an extra kick, feel free to list any effects that would make it good.

I hope to start gigging, so make it loud.
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
!THRASH METAL REVOULTION!
Last edited by skydemon666 at Feb 13, 2008,
Other. If you can go used, and aren't overly concerned with cleans, a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo is for you.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
B-52. The LG series is good, got mine for $500. Has really good cleans too. Made EMG's sound like they weren't even active.

But with the distortion...thing feckin rips
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by DrNick
Other. If you can go used, and aren't overly concerned with cleans, a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo is for you.

Unless you mean the EVH model that isnt even by peavey, I dont know what your saying. Could you give me the site that its on?
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
VALVEKING hands down. the cleans... *drools*
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I got the same guitar, and the Vox I have is fricken amazing.

Try getting an X2n in the bridge for ultra distortion, and a good clean neck pickup for whatever intros.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
If you want cleans, go with the EMG 60 in the neck, not the 85.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by skydemon666
Unless you mean the EVH model that isnt even by peavey, I dont know what your saying. Could you give me the site that its on?

Peavey 5150 or 6505....yes they're the van halen models. what on earth did you think he was reffering to?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
used jcm u can get on craigslist.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by skydemon666

He means the EVH model that IS by Peavey - they renamed it the 6505 after the Van Halen endorsement ended but it's still the same amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by shredhead22
Peavey 5150 or 6505....yes they're the van halen models. what on earth did you think he was reffering to?

This

Quote by steven seagull
He means the EVH model that IS by Peavey - they renamed it the 6505 after the Van Halen endorsement ended but it's still the same amp.

Thanks for the clarifaction

Anyways I cant afford it. Under $500 please.
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Last edited by skydemon666 at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by skydemon666

This

No, that's the Fender model.

The Peavey 5150 is no longer made, but they're all over eBay.

BTW, you're looking in the wrong places for thrash tone.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
No, that's the Fender model.

The Peavey 5150 is no longer made, but they're all over eBay.

BTW, you're looking in the wrong places for thrash tone.

Ok... could you tell me where to find it- note* I cant afford a Mesa Boogie
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Quote by skydemon666
Ok... could you tell me where to find it- note* I cant afford a Mesa Boogie

I wouldn't recommend you a Boogie anyways.

IMO, with high output active pickups, and a super high gain amp, you're just begging for a sterile, lifeless tone.

Now, look at one of the best thrash tones ever (IMO), which is James' rhythm tone on Kill 'Em All. He just used a regular old Marshall Super Lead, an Epiphone Flying V with a Duncan Invader, and a Pro Co Rat distortion pedal. His tone is absolutely massive, ballsy, and vicious.

See where I'm going with this?
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
I wouldn't recommend you a Boogie anyways.

IMO, with high output active pickups, and a super high gain amp, you're just begging for a sterile, lifeless tone.

Now, look at one of the best thrash tones ever (IMO), which is James' rhythm tone on Kill 'Em All. He just used a regular old Marshall Super Lead, an Epiphone Flying V with a Duncan Invader, and a Pro Co Rat distortion pedal. His tone is absolutely massive, ballsy, and vicious.

See where I'm going with this?

I see, but after Kill Em All, when they swithced to EMG's, they're sound wasnt scooped (I cant stand scooped sounds)

Previously, I was going to get the Valveking and set it to clean, and plug in a Metal Muff, but several people told me to stray away from pedals- some including guitar techs.

I wasnt planning to crank the gain up all the way or anything. On my current set up Im just a pinch over half. Im not into undistinguish able guitar notes.

Anyways, thanks for reading, helping, and your advise. Have anymore?
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Quote by skydemon666
I see, but after Kill Em All, when they swithced to EMG's, they're sound wasnt scooped (I cant stand scooped sounds)

Previously, I was going to get the Valveking and set it to clean, and plug in a Metal Muff, but several people told me to stray away from pedals- some including guitar techs.

I wasnt planning to crank the gain up all the way or anything. On my current set up Im just a pinch over half. Im not into undistinguish able guitar notes.

Anyways, thanks for reading, helping, and your advise. Have anymore?

Well, maybe you don't like Metallica's old tone. Bad example, I guess. But Metallica weren't the only ones who used Marshall - but Marshalls were THE thrash/metal amps in the 80's. Slayer, Possessed, Metallica, Testament, Anthrax, Venom, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Morbid Angel, Death, etc., the list is endless. For extreme metal, British voiced amps are the way to go.

Don't listen to people who tell you to avoid pedals. A pedal will do just fine, provided you don't run it into the distortion channel of your amp. Piling distortion will make your tone into a muddy wreck, but you'll be just fine plugging a distortion into the front of the amp and running the clean channel (maybe even with a little overdrive).

Seriously - if you don't believe me, then go to a guitar store and see for yourself. You might be surprised.
Now it's 1984
Quote by skydemon666

Anyways I cant afford it. Under $500 please.

are you willing to go used or does it have to be new?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Well, maybe you don't like Metallica's old tone. Bad example, I guess. But Metallica weren't the only ones who used Marshall - but Marshalls were THE thrash/metal amps in the 80's. Slayer, Possessed, Metallica, Testament, Anthrax, Venom, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Morbid Angel, Death, etc., the list is endless. For extreme metal, British voiced amps are the way to go.

Don't listen to people who tell you to avoid pedals. A pedal will do just fine, provided you don't run it into the distortion channel of your amp. Piling distortion will make your tone into a muddy wreck, but you'll be just fine plugging a distortion into the front of the amp and running the clean channel (maybe even with a little overdrive).

Seriously - if you don't believe me, then go to a guitar store and see for yourself. You might be surprised.

Nah man Im cool with a Marshall. In fact, its pretty much my dream to own one. However for broke people like me, the only option is the MG series which do indeed suck. I thought you were arguing against the 81-85s. I know what you mean, my friends custom built box sounds great on the cleanest fender twin sound he has if you tweak it right.

Ill look into British voiced amps. Thanks.

Quote by shredhead22
are you willing to go used or does it have to be new?

Id much rather have it new when im shelling out for something that I care about. Like im fine buying a used peice of crap paintball gun, cause I dont really care about it. You know what Im saying?
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Last edited by skydemon666 at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by skydemon666
Nah man Im cool with a Marshall. In fact, its pretty much my dream to own one. However for broke people like me, the only option is the MG series which do indeed suck. I thought you were arguing against the 81-85s. I know what you mean, my friends custom built box sounds great on the cleanest fender twin sound he has if you tweak it right.

Ill look into British voiced amps. Thanks.

Naw, if you like EMG's, then go for it, by all means.

However, you're not limited to MG's. There is hope!

Check out the Peavey Windsor - it's basically a hot rodded JCM 800 clone. All valve, 120 watts, etc., and if I'm not mistaken, the head is either $300 or $400, and can be had for even less on eBay. Very, very British.

Pair that up with a good cabinet (a 2x12" should do), and you're set, man. You probably won't even need a distortion box for the Windsor.

Your friend has the right idea. A good OD or distortion into a valve amp's clean channel is the way to go. You can go from death metal, all the way to RHCP cleans with the stomp of a switch.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Naw, if you like EMG's, then go for it, by all means.

However, you're not limited to MG's. There is hope!

Check out the Peavey Windsor - it's basically a hot rodded JCM 800 clone. All valve, 120 watts, etc., and if I'm not mistaken, the head is either $300 or $400, and can be had for even less on eBay. Very, very British.

Pair that up with a good cabinet (a 2x12" should do), and you're set, man. You probably won't even need a distortion box for the Windsor.

Your friend has the right idea. A good OD or distortion into a valve amp's clean channel is the way to go. You can go from death metal, all the way to RHCP cleans with the stomp of a switch.

I was just about to mension the Windsor, but you beat me to it. Ill intensivlly check it out. Thanks!
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Quote by DrNick

SHUTUP.

My 6505 cleans are orgasmic, especially with a compressor in front of it. Buy one.
Dickless.
Quote by skydemon666
I was just about to mension the Windsor, but you beat me to it. Ill intensivlly check it out. Thanks!

Sure, no problem.

Quote by jake911
I heard the windsor does not have decent cleans.

The Windsor has decent cleans, but you have to know how valves respond. A lot of people say that after a 10 minute demo with it.

Roll your guitar's volume back, and turn down the gain, and you'll have perfectly useable cleans.
Now it's 1984
I own the Windsor. It's a friggen animal. I just completed a tube swap which made the tone even richer than it already was. Check it out.
dont listen to the guitar tech that said not to use pedals. I cant think of a single amp that has enough gain by itself for thrash that is under 500$. Just get an OD for your overdriven channel, or get a distortion for your clean channel like everyone else said. Anywho, i give the windsor a thumbs up if you can try it out, and the valveking just try it first cause I've played one that sounded great and one that sounded like i plugged my guitar into a cats ass and it was screaming the notes, but i think someone just ****ed the amp up, cause they wouldn't sell an amp that bad.
I think Im gonna go with a Valveking, cause my guitar center doesnt have a windsor for me to try out. I played the valveking, and with a good pedal, it could be excatly the tone Im looking for. However, I've only played the 212. Does the 112 sound the same, and have the same features? Thanks
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER