you've got the wrong guitar.

In the Dir En Grey video, hes using a tele knockoff with a strat standard bridge.

That clean jangly sound your hearing is the tele single coil spanky sound.

Try out a tele on the clean channel of an amp. Maybe I'm right (for once).
Quote by jmpullen
you've got the wrong guitar.

In the Dir En Grey video, hes using a tele knockoff with a strat standard bridge.

That clean jangly sound your hearing is the tele single coil spanky sound.

Try out a tele on the clean channel of an amp. Maybe I'm right (for once).

So there's not even a light OD on there? I guess that sound will probably come from cranking the amp, amirite?

Any guitar/amp suggestions? I'm thinking a Fender of some kind and a Laney LC30II.

HOWEVER, the other guitarist in Dir En Grey uses THIS, which leads me to think that I could still get this sound with a humbucker. I'm probably wrong, though.
So I'd get the tone in the videos from a telecaster through my Randall RG50TC?

Any tele suggestions? Go easy on the wallet, I'm only a mere uni student!
@Aidy Damage
The other guitarist doesn't use that. He uses EMGs 81 and 85, neck and bridge.

The first one uses EMG single coils in his teles. Like I said before, check that site I linked.
If only I could get some of those in the UK... I'd be all over them.

Perhaps a strat/tele with EMG singlecoils?
That would probably be your best bet.

Might just want to try a Squire tele and put the EMGs in it. After a setup--it could be pretty decent.
Then by all means, haha.

Maybe you could also try getting a MIJ Fender? I think they're around...$600 US?
Quote by serizawa
Then by all means, haha.

Maybe you could also try getting a MIJ Fender? I think they're around...$600 US?

£359 (UK pounds) for a MIJ tele! Seems sexy, although the body is basswood as opposed to Alder. Surely this would take away some of the jangliness?
A bit, but I know they still make Teles with Alder in Japan. At least I think...

Try: kurosawagakki.com

Also, you might have to get it routed to fit the neck pickup. So I think you might be better off getting a MIM. Won't feel too guilty about scuffing that up a bit.
Last edited by serizawa at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by serizawa
A bit, but I know they still make Teles with Alder in Japan. At least I think...

Try: kurosawagakki.com

Also, you might have to get it routed to fit the neck pickup. So I think you might be better off getting a MIM. Won't feel too guilty about scuffing that up a bit.

All hidden under the pickguard, anyway!

Although, you never know- I may try a tele in a shop and fall in love with the tone that it has with its original pickups. However, having the EMGs would lend a certain authenticity to the sound...
Definately sounding attractive!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a MIM or lite ash tele and buying the EMG SA set.

NINJA EDIT: Surely the SAs are strat pickups? Surely then I'd get the sound easier from a strat with those pickups?
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Feb 12, 2008,
I've got an SA in the neck of one of my guitars and I can't say it sounds too stratty. It's a pretty distinct sound.
Actually I'd say get a Telecaster Plus, check out some live Radiohead performances of like My Iron Lung, it gives a good idea on what it can do. Last time I checked a couple days ago there were 2 up (a Telecaster Plus Deluxe too which is the same thing as a normal plus but with a trem) for around 600-800 USD.
Try turning your guitar volume down a lot and turning up the volume of your amp. That always gives a more jangly metallic sound
Also to note you might want to check out some other amps, I don't have any experience with the one you have so I don't know if it could cover both bases. If you can manage it a used high end Vox could help find the tone you're looking for, maybe even a Fender amp like a Champ (if you're not too crazy about spending a lot on a new amp) or Princeton (high end amp but I've seen shops sell it ridiculously cheap).
id try a Fender.. either a Strat or a tele
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I'm definately going to give a few teles a try today. However, I doubt the shop will let me crank an AC30, which really sucks.

EDIT: I've JUST managed to get very close to the tone I want with my C1 through the cranked clean channel on my amp, but I'm thinking an SG would do the job a lot nicer. SG's on the list now, too, seeing as I've heard they're pretty bright-sounding.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Feb 13, 2008,
Try something with P-90's. Single coil sound, but ballsier than... a testicle covered in testicles.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
I tried a few guitars today, and here's the results:

Fender Highway 1 tele- No.
Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway w/ p90s- No.
Gibson SG Standard- Yes, but I'd cry if I scratched it.
PRS Custom 22- Same as above.

Overall, I liked the PRS best, but I'd be paranoid to play it. To be totally honest, it didn't feel any better than my Schecter, either.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Feb 13, 2008,