Largely because of all the excessive threads about it by people seemingly unwilling to use the site's search feature.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
most people that 'hate' it are just jumping on the bandwagon, but honestly there are FAR better amps in the same price class
because people have ears
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
They sound like midi. their tone is terrible. If you want something good, go for a tube amp. Or, not line six.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I dont really hate them that much, mine gave me more ways to tweak a song just rite then my current amp, but my current amp sounds better so...
I have a spider III. It's my first and (currently) only amp. I just bought cause it seemed like a good buy (been playing for 9 months).

Seeing as I have nothing to compare it to, what exactly is so bad about it? Is it just inferior to other amps in that price range? Which ones?
Nope. None at all.
they don't have the best sound and once you start getting into the bigger models of it you can get a much better amp for your money
i have the spider III 30 watt version it's not as bad as somepeople say it is but it isn't the best but i bought it when i didn't have much money and wanted some effects also isn't bad for $200
Quote by HexaDakota
I have a spider III. It's my first and (currently) only amp. I just bought cause it seemed like a good buy (been playing for 9 months).

Seeing as I have nothing to compare it to, what exactly is so bad about it? Is it just inferior to other amps in that price range? Which ones?

first things that come to mind are the Vox AD series, Roland Cubes and.. well.. running a pod through a cheap pa
Quote by mzhang13
I actually don't see how it's so bad...

Go plug your guitar into a tube amp and you'll see why.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by mzhang13
I actually don't see how it's so bad...

n00B
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
its really not that bad of an amp. But for the price of one you can get something 1 million times better.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
ya i agree with this guy ^ mine is awesome... u jsut need to know how to play with the sounds to get the best tone cuz the one on mine was only awesome after i played with it for like an hour.

+it gets uber loud!!!
Why does anyone care who hates a particular piece of gear? I guess its human nature to seek approval from one's peers, but in this case you are concerned about the opinions of a bunch of internet ghosts.
What really matters is:
1. Do you like it?
2. If you are performing for kicks or for money does your audience like it?
If you like Line 6 there are many other players who agree. I'm not one of them, but who the heck cares? When you are ready for a different amp or guitar you will know it.
Quote by slatsmania
Largely because of all the excessive threads about it by people seemingly unwilling to use the site's search feature.

people won't have to make so many threads if jackasses like you would give a straight answer and stop being a smartass
Quote by uldhppi
Why does anyone care who hates a particular piece of gear? I guess its human nature to seek approval from one's peers, but in this case you are concerned about the opinions of a bunch of internet ghosts.
What really matters is:
1. Do you like it?
If you like Line 6 there are many other players who agree. I'm not one of them, but who the heck cares? When you are ready for a different amp or guitar you will know it.

Couldn't have said it better
Quote by uldhppi
What really matters is:
1. Do you like it?

it just bugs me that so many people hate these amps. I never got a straight answer until know btw I love mine
Quote by Sakattack75
people won't have to make so many threads if jackasses like you would give a straight answer and stop being a smartass

Shut up. Slats has MUCH more experience than you and I agree- We get LOADS of threads in here asking about them and they ALL have explainations why you should go for something else. I've never seen you here before, where's your contribution?
Do a search, you lazy kid.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by RJA5410
ya i agree with this guy ^ mine is awesome... u jsut need to know how to play with the sounds to get the best tone cuz the one on mine was only awesome after i played with it for like an hour.

+it gets uber loud!!!

you can get "tone" outta them?
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by RJA5410

+it gets uber loud!!!

Just because it's loud doesn't mean it's good.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Sakattack75

Straight answer: Your amp is an overpriced, digital, fizzy piece of sh!t.

Could've saved yourself a lot of time with the search feature. Had you tried it sooner, you probably could've saved yourself some money and aggravation, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by axeslinger01
you can get "tone" outta them?

nothing beats the mesa boogie i used in chesbro last month. that thing had more tone than i can find through every other amp in my town.
I think one reason why people cannot hear the tonal difference is that their ears can no longer hear the tone. I can always find some iPod listeners that was using earphones but I can still hear them on the other side of the room – imagine how loud they are listening at!

Our ears are getting damaged, and if it's damaged, I don't think it would be easy to hear the subtle tonal difference. Because I have hard of hearing myself when I was young, I can hear a the tonal difference between different attacks, but not when I record it (unless I really fcous on listening)
Poor quality, badly priced, horrid tone. Pretty much the same thing everyone else has said. The best thing I can say about it is the insane setting would make a decent 35 dollar pedal if it's gain was halved.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Sakattack75

He wouldn't need to point out the facts if you used the search function.
Play a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix. Better amps for the same price by far.
I WILL RESTORE ORDER AND BRING A FAIR CONCLUSION TO THIS THREAD!

*Ahem.*
I, like many, made an admittedly bad decision, and I bought a Spider II 75 watter for my first amp. It sounded good for a couple months, but I quickly realized that it was a bad amp. It did serve me well, however. I used it at a bunch of band practices, and it was also versatile. It sounds horrible, yes, but it taught me a lesson about amps that I won't soon forget.

When you first have the amp, you're gonna think it sounds amazing. Astonishing. Out of this world. Why would anybody need a tube amp when you have your Spider? Sadly, after playing for awhile and using different amps and developing an ear for tone, you'll realize that it's a very digital and stale amp, which is about the time you'll want to buy your first "real" amp.

In short, it's a bad amp, but it works as a practice amp. Be prepared to sell it in a couple months.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.