Sup bass?

I've been a regular guitarist for a long time and recently got an invitation to play bass in a friend of mine's band, and I do already have a bass (it's not amazing but it handles nicely - Squier Affinity J-bass), but I have zero bass amps.

I'm looking for something reasonably sized, probably between 60 and 100 watts, preferably a combo just because I'm lazy, and the larger the speaker the better. I've been looking around a bit and come up with a few ideas, my budget is $300ish, so:

The GK Brat Pack half-stack; lots of power, respectable name, decent features

The Ampeg BA115 Combo; it's Ampeg, 100 watts, looks like a great amp

The GK Backline 112; less powerful than the brat pack, same features, less expensive

I'm open to new suggestions as well as comments on what I've listed here, I'm really fairly new to this whole amplified bass thing.

PS; I'm going to be playing prog-metal, mathcore, metalcore, and maybe some jazz here and there though not as a rule. I dunno how much this affects amp choices, but there you have it. They always ask for that sort of stuff up in Electric Guitar, where I basically live
GK Backlines are not that desirable. I personally think the Ampeg combos are not nearly worth it and are just riding the coattails of the higher end gear. At that price range check out the Ashdown MAG300-C115. Really, I would recommend the head and a different cab but that's out of your range and you want a combo. As it is the MAG is a little out of your range, but definitely worth the price.
The Ampeg BA115 Combo; it's Ampeg, 100 watts, looks like a great amp

Just because it's made by Ampeg doesn't mean its great. It's in that price range for a reason.

EDIT: by the way what kind of music are you going to play this could help narrow things down a bit.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Last edited by ryenzio1 at Feb 12, 2008,
Oh god, /b/tards.

But yeah +1 to Jazz Rock Feel's suggestion of the Ashdown!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Oh god, /b/tards.

But yeah +1 to Jazz Rock Feel's suggestion of the Ashdown!

I don't have $500 to spend. I make $6/hour and work part time 8 hours a week, I'm a fulltime student. These things happen. I'm looking for an appliance to make my bass louder, not a permanent musical investment. Casual practice and light gigging is all.
Quote by aleister
I don't have $500 to spend. I make $6/hour and work part time 8 hours a week, I'm a fulltime student. These things happen. I'm looking for an appliance to make my bass louder, not a permanent musical investment. Casual practice and light gigging is all.

Look on Craigslist or in some pawn shops for used amps then. You can get some pretty good deals, especially if you're just using it to fool around with.
Yeah man. I'd go used. and remember. Behringer is never worth it. never!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Charlatan_001
Look on Craigslist or in some pawn shops for used amps then. You can get some pretty good deals, especially if you're just using it to fool around with.

I also happen to live in Indiana, where no one plays bass. Suppose I just walk into my local GC and start playing stuff until someone tries to sell me something?