So, I just got my Carvin Legacy 212 combo today. It is absolutely beautiful, not a scratch on it (it was used). The reverb isn't working, but the seller, the amp tech, and I are 99.9 percent sure it's just the tube. Anyway, I warm it up, and turn it on. The volume was at about 0.5, and everyone's already screaming at me "Turn it down!" so I respond, "It doesn't GO down! It NEEDS to go UP!" as I understand how the tubes need to be saturated, but they won't let it go up. So, here's the question. Is there a way to set it up so it will sound good quiet, or should I just go for a...whataretheycalled? The things that let you blast the amp but quietly? You set the volume on that thing, and the amp can get saturated? BTW, it's at 50watts, 16ohms.

High watt tube owners, respond please! I want to love my amp
Attenuator. Weber is recommended most often because it doesn't seem to suck tone like many other brands. I am just passing this along, I don't use them, so wait for other posts.
Buy an attenuator!
That's the word you're looking for.
I don't know much about attenuators, so someone could probably give you a better answer, but THD Hotplates seem to be pretty popular.

Also, be forewarned that (if I remember correctly) attenuation shortens tube life.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
^No. Turning up your amp in any way will shorten tube life. Using an attenuator just makes that feasible.

I also hear good things about Webers.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Even attenuated amps will be pretty loud for bedroom use if you want power tube distortion. You (1) will have to live with the preamp distortion, realizing that most people will never turn their tube amps up loud enough to get power tube distortion, or (2) realize that you probably bought the wrong amp or, if you gig, should've gotten a smaller amp for bedroom use.
Hi, I'm Peter
Worst comes to worst, if you're GASing for that power tube distortion, buy a Blackheart Tiny Ant!

1 watt tube.

Probably not really worth it right now since you just got a new amp though.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
Worst comes to worst, if you're GASing for that power tube distortion, buy a Blackheart Tiny Ant!

1 watt tube.

Probably not really worth it right now since you just got a new amp though.

That will still be pretty loud.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Ok, attenuator sounds good. Of course it will shorten tube life, I'm not retarded. A new amp is absolutely not an option, not to mention I've been dreaming of this forever, and JUST got it today. So, dirk, you say attenuation will still be loud(even with a 50watt)? Because yes, that power amp distortion NEEDS to flow.
Quote by CallmeTravis
Ok, attenuator sounds good. Of course it will shorten tube life, I'm not retarded. A new amp is absolutely not an option, not to mention I've been dreaming of this forever, and JUST got it today. So, dirk, you say attenuation will still be loud(even with a 50watt)? Because yes, that power amp distortion NEEDS to flow.

You could always run it into a Weber Mass, then run the line out signal into a solid state power amp, then into your cab, or return input. That way, you could have absolute control over the volume.

Just a thought.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
You could always run it into a Weber Mass, then run the line out signal into a solid state power amp, then into your cab, or return input. That way, you could have absolute control over the volume.

Just a thought.

But what would that do to the tone?
This is a couple weeks late, but instead of buying an expensive attenuator, you could run any pedal with a level knob (DS-1, CS-3, etc etc) in the fx loop and voila: master volume. Volume pedal in the fx loop does the same thing, but I reckon it would be a little harder to control than a knob.

No power tube saturation, but you can still crank the preamp tubes and keep it below conversation volume.
ah. thats crazy.

my parents don't care how loud i have my amp (dsl50).

that is why i love my parents.

just wiat till everyone is out of the house?

or cover your whole room in carpet, then soundproof all of it

and cover the gaps in your door.

that should do.

that would actually be really cool.