Hello there..
I've been playing acoustic guitar for almost 2 years now pretty good, mainly on rithms and finger picking songs. I decided to pick an electric guitar and learn soloing and improvising which is my next goal. So far i know the basic scales and can do decent on improvisating. Also i have very good speed and can do ho/po, slides, and other main stuff pretty decent.

So far so good, but the thing is i get massacred when certain solo has lot of bends/pre bends . Te thing is that bends are my main and big problem, for exm: I can play fade to black intro perfectly or hotel california (acoustic) solo but solos such as hotel california (electric) or stairway to heaven are very hard for me and they sound sloppy and bad.

I cant find the way to do bends correctly. I can do 1 maybe 2, but when there are 20 in a solo constantly i mess up all the time.. i just cant find the way. What can i do to learn better and do it right, i tried to slow it down, but trying to do bends at slow speed dosent help me very much.

thanks and sorry for avg english.
well first off, getting an electric guitar instead of an acoustic with definatley improve the sound of your soloing and it should be easier to bend the strings on the electric. second, if your problem is bending, try using one of the scales you know and just go up and down bending as many notes as you are confortable with and just start out really slow. eventually you should start to feel more comfortable with bending notes. just add more bending in the scales as you get more comfortable THEN go back to your solos and put the bends in
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!
well bends for me in solo's arent really a problem ive been playing for bout 1 1/2 years and ive only played electric, my first guitar i had was really fat and therefore i had to put more power into my bends my new guitar its more skinny and i use lighter gauge strings since i was used to putting alot of power into it they sounded sloppy for bout a month so basicaly what i m saying is that since you are used to acoustic take some time and get used to your electric guitar and you will start find it alot easier also dont put to much power in your bends untill you kno u can handle it
Yeah one of my main problem is still not getting use to the electric guitar. When i was playing acoustic i learned everything except for bends wich im a very begginer right now doing them. I also found out (a friend told me) that on my guitar which is an ibanez with the floating bridge/floyd rose thing, bends are much harder to get on the tone and keep them.

By the way, are there any easy song/solo which focuses on bends mainly but easy and slow?
I have an exercise that I used to do for practicing bends...

It's basically scale runs, but instead of fingering each note in the scale, I would finger the 1st note on a string only and then bend them up to the appropriate notes in the scale on that string, then move to the next string. Then shifting the scale and playing it descending but with prebends on the initial notes back down to the fingered note on each string, etc.

So for example, you could play X note in X scale bending 1/2 step, then continue bending 1 step up, etc....(or bend 1 step up, then bending it another half step)

I found this a good way to develop muscle memory and control over the bends and prebends.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Really thanks man, i think this exercise will do wonder in next weeks.

Still looking for a song that can help me with bends that isn't hard or fast.
What is your technique for bends? Is your thumb centered behind the middle finger when doing your bends and are bending with more than one finger?
Quote by sheppard30
Really thanks man, i think this exercise will do wonder in next weeks.

Still looking for a song that can help me with bends that isn't hard or fast.

The first part of the "No More Tears" Solo starts off slow, but has quite a few cool bends in it.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator