I've been running cross country at my school for three years now, and track for two, and I'm probably our second best distance runner. But I really hate track because of how un-fun it is and the huge time commitment that it requires for something that I don't care about at all. So this season, I decided that I'm not going to run track, but just work out at a gym to stay in shape for CC next year. But now, I'm receiving all this pressure and talks from my coaches, other runners, and parents, and all of them except my parents seem to be pissed at me for not running. Telling me that I'm being selfish and lazy and stuff because I'm not running for our team, and "life is full of things that you have to do even though you don't want to". The more I think about it, I think they're being selfish for trying to control my life for their sport, but I don't know. It's pissing me off alot, what do you guys think?
Do what you want to do. If you don't want to, then don't do it. It's your choice.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
You're not being lazy. You just don't want to run track. Tell your coaches and other runners to **** off and run their own lives.

Kudos to your parents for supporting you too.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
kill the teachers and everyone whos controlling your life
 [color="Navy"]_____         _____ _          _ _____   _     [/COLOR] 
[color="Blue"]|  _  |_ _ ___|   __|_|___    _| |  |  |_| |___ [/COLOR] 
[color="RoyalBlue"]|     | | |_ -|__   | | -_|  | . |  |  | . | -_|[/COLOR]
[color="Cyan"]|__|__|___|___|_____|_|___|  |___|_____|___|___|[/COLOR]

that is the sex
well if you havn't got the motivation to do track, then you will not succeed in it. so my advice is drop it because it will become a waste of time. if you are not getting any extrovert motivation you will not feel that motivated intrinsically. stick to what you enjoy and focus on that.

i just wrote some essay on psychology in sports. soz.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
Thanks, guys, this is the type of stuff I've been thinking, I'm glad to see that people agree with me. Yeah, I'm glad my parents are being cool about it too, I know that they want me to run track, but they're not making me or acting all disappointed or whatever.
Just because you have a talent, it doesn't mean you're obliged to use it. I can see where they're coming from, but it's your choice, and you're in the right.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Brain245
I've been running cross country at my school for three years now, and track for two, and I'm probably our second best distance runner. But I really hate track because of how un-fun it is and the huge time commitment that it requires for something that I don't care about at all. So this season, I decided that I'm not going to run track, but just work out at a gym to stay in shape for CC next year. But now, I'm receiving all this pressure and talks from my coaches, other runners, and parents, and all of them except my parents seem to be pissed at me for not running. Telling me that I'm being selfish and lazy and stuff because I'm not running for our team, and "life is full of things that you have to do even though you don't want to". The more I think about it, I think they're being selfish for trying to control my life for their sport, but I don't know. It's pissing me off alot, what do you guys think?

I didn't read your actual post, but yes you are a selfish asshole.
If you don't want to do it no one should be able to stop you. The rule of "theres thing in life you have to do even if you don't want to" applies to work and school not running track.
Same way with me except its baseball and my family doesn't support me. I've played baseball every year since I was 5 and have been told by college coaches that I could go on to college with my talent. But, I just don't like it anymore. I half-assed the school tryouts and obviously didnt make it. Im basically out casted from my family now.
This is nowhere NEAR one of those things you "have to do" in life for the good of others, it's just your coaches being selfish and wanting you on the team to win for them. If you don't want to run, don't.
its your life, u can do watever the hell you want when your young, seeing as its only a matter of time ur bitter/ living through kids like your coaches and kids parents
Quote by The_Paranoia
Same way with me except its baseball and my family doesn't support me. I've played baseball every year since I was 5 and have been told by college coaches that I could go on to college with my talent. But, I just don't like it anymore. I half-assed the school tryouts and obviously didnt make it. Im basically out casted from my family now.

Oh dude, that is horrible, my situation is no where near that bad. I'm sorry.
Their the selfish ones. If you don't want to do it, then you shouldn't have to do it. Just tell them that you hate being there and they'll f*ck of.
I've pulled my hamstrings (right first then left) twice during this indoor track season.
If you ask me, it's not worth it.
I haven't run a single meet this season because injury.

But do what you want.
If you don't wanna do track, don't.
do cross country, but wear a shirt that says "**** CROSS COUNTRY" and get last place on purpose every time.
I'd run...
Remember, the harder you try, without noticing, you'll be rewarded.good.
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
To be honest, and speaking from someone who was pretty good at running myself, if you really want to focus on cross-country, track is kind of like the off season conditioning. You have to admit, you won't push yourself as hard independently as you would if you were running with others on a team. I know exactly what you are talking about with the time it takes for track meets to run. I ran the 200, 400, 800, and mile (sometimes the 2 mile, depending on the meet) and having to wait till the very last race to run is God awful, especially if the meets run over 12 hours. I completely understand but it is part of being a dedicated runner. My advice, stick with track because it will keep your muscles in shape as well as keep your endurance on track, if not increasing it

*Edit*

I'm completely speaking from a runner's stand-point. If you don't find it enjoyable, then i recommend weighing the options. "Do you enjoy cross-country enough that you would sacrifice your enjoyment by running track?" That is what it comes down to. Are you that determined to look at the bigger picture and think of track as a way to keep in shape for cross country? If you don't, then of course, I think you should take some time off so you don't blow yourself out on running but if you are a TRUE runner, you will take into consideration that the time and energy spent on track will only better yourself in cross-country, especially if you try to train independently.
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
Last edited by Hexagram at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Brain245

Seriously? Tell them to fuck off, and get a life.

If you don't think it's fun then I don't see why you should continue doing it, because imo it's not excactly life essential. Some people have made it into their life though and don't see why anyone wouldn't want to do it, like your coaches and the other runners and their parents seemed to have.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Do what you want. I mean, having a goal is good, and sportsmanship is good, but being pressured into an activity because others want you to... not good.

I swear, the pit gets asked this same question every day, and the answer is always "do what you want to do and live your own life." You'd think someone would have caught on by now...
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Well, I would say do whatever you personally would like to do. However, I will say that if I even attempted to quit track my coaches would hunt me down and force me to rejoin at gunpoint, so even if I didn't like track I wouldn't have much of a decision.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by Kensai
Seriously? Tell them to fuck off, and get a life.

If you don't think it's fun then I don't see why you should continue doing it, because imo it's not excactly life essential. Some people have made it into their life though and don't see why anyone wouldn't want to do it, like your coaches and the other runners and their parents seemed to have.

Nah, my parents are cool about it, they just gave me a couple talks like "are you sure this is what you wanna do?" and told me it might affect my cc season.
Dude, it's your life. Ignore those assholes and do what you want. Or tell them that you'll run for them if they buy you a Custom Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall Full Stack.
Quote by Brain245
Nah, my parents are cool about it, they just gave me a couple talks like "are you sure this is what you wanna do?" and told me it might affect my cc season.

Yeah, I meant the other parents involved.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████