I have an Ibanez RG1570 and after a year of playing with the stock pickups i have decided that now is about the time to switch over to some new better pickups.
I am keen to place some emg pickups in it and was thinking of installing and 85 in the neck, a 81 in the bridge and a SA in the middle position. The only problem is that emg pickups are active and the pickups im using at the moment are passive. Firstly, is it possible to put these emg's in my guitar and secondly, is it an easy process or should i have it done by a professional.
if it would be too much effort to put these in, what would be a better suggestion to get for my guitar? any help much appreciated.
cheers.
tom
Yes, it's possible. No, it's not hard - it's objectively easier than installing passive pickups. If you're a stranger to the soldering gun, you still might want to get someone with experience help you install them.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
You can put them in, the 9v battey would go where the pots are located, or you can route out a part of the guitar for it. If you've never installed active pickups or any pickups at all you prob want professional help, some places if you bu the pickup from there they install for free. If you end up not getting EMG's, Seymour Duncans are very good. They have a wide range and can produce any sound. I have a Jb and a Invader in bridges positions of strats and i love me, great for metal to punk to clean.
You can also try Dimarzio's, I like the PAF Pro in neck and Evo's in bridge for the leads..Dimarzio's can give you that sort of crunchy sound as well as tones like Vai and Satch...Their passive pick ups though, so far, I notice EMG cranks out a lot of actives....Have you tried the EMG81 and 85's, if not, go and try out a guitar which has one, like the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser...They use 81/85's i think...By the way,gtr_101, can you play heavy stuff like Dragonforce or Satch with thoses pick ups?
Save your money and just change them yourself, go to radioshack and get a soldering iron (pretty cheap) and just spend a couple hours or days getting down the process of soldering. There are a lot of videos online of how to solder. I changed the pickups on my Fender and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. Good Luck.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
Id suggest just getting some hot dimarzios unless you want an full rewire on your hands along with the hassles of finding room for the battery/s depending if you look at the 18v emg mod. aternatlvly get professional help.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Admittedly, rewiring it completely with EMG would be a tad easier and a tad less messy than replacing the stockies with DMs, seeing how EMGs come in prewired kits where you just have to make a few joints and you're good to go.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I took out the stock V7 / V8 combo and I put Dimarzios in my Ibanez and only had to mess with wires on the switch. Find a good wiring diagram and it should be easy.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN