I went to a local GC (not too great) and i played a few guitars. I really like the sound of the Les Paul, but i love the action of a Strat or Tele. The Les Paul seemed like it was alot harder to fret. If I bought the Les Paul, could i ever get it to have the action that the Fenders have??
Hello
Last edited by MXBoy11 at Feb 13, 2008,
Yeah, absolutely you could. It's all in the setup.

More likely than not, the Strat you played was just set up better.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by MXBoy11
I went to a local GC (not too great) and i played a few guitars. I really like the sound of the Les Paul, but i love the action of a Strat or Tele. The Les Paul seemed like it was alot harder to fret. If I bought the Les Paul, could i ever get it to have the action that the Fenders have??

Was the problem with the LP just that the strings were too high off the fetboard? If so, that can be fixed just by de-tuning it and lowering the tune- o matic; it takes maybe two minutes. However, I think that you might've been having trouble with adjusting to the neck. What guitar are you playing right now? Anyway, if you do end up buying the LP, odds are that you'll get used to the neck, unless you have quite small hands.
Yea. It mightve been the strings were thicker on the LP than the tele. But obviously you can 1) change the string gauge u use or 2) take it in and have them set up the action for you or you can do it yourself if your not guitarded.

Personally i would rather have a Les Paul over a Fender any day. But then again I'm big on Gibson. Literally. They give me a hard on.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

supposedly the longer scale on fenders give the strings a looser feel, but this is more so in theory
id say try out a few more fenders and a few more pauls
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Was the problem with the LP just that the strings were too high off the fetboard? If so, that can be fixed just by de-tuning it and lowering the tune- o matic; it takes maybe two minutes. However, I think that you might've been having trouble with adjusting to the neck. What guitar are you playing right now? Anyway, if you do end up buying the LP, odds are that you'll get used to the neck, unless you have quite small hands.

Unfortunately I do have fairly small hands i guess, but they should get bigger over time. I am playing an Epiphone SG Special Right now.

FTR - I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul, cause i know that their necks are different.
Hello
It could depend on what neck the LP had too. I played a few really expensive ones at guitar center that had these huge necs, i could barely play it
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
No, you can't (unless you want to change necks.) I'm not sure why but there are just not that many set neck guitars that can rival the action of a good Strat.
I am really hung up on the look of the LP. I love the look of them. And unfortunately, I couldnt hear the difference between the LP and the HH Telecaster because GC was very loud and I didnt want to crank one of the amps because I wasnt looking to buy ATM.
Hello
I've never played an LP that I liked the feel of, I like the feel of strats and teles much better.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by init24
supposedly the longer scale on fenders give the strings a looser feel, but this is more so in theory
id say try out a few more fenders and a few more pauls

Other way around bud. Fenders feel tighter than gibsons. Not just a theory, try it out. Most people who have both compensate by going one gauge higher on the gibsons.
Lp
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Per the same gauge string a Strat should feel tighter than an LP because of the scale length difference. A longer scale length means the strings have to be under more tension to get up to tune. Most Strats are strung with 9s from the factory though which will feel very comparable if not slinkier than the 10s that I think are on most LPs on the wall. Also, Strats tend to have a smaller radius fretboard that could feel a bit more comfortable to chord on. In general I think LPs feel a bit slinkier and are easier to get lower action on...
Yes you can get the action on the Gibson. Fenders (Good ones) have great action in general. It depends on what you like, and that sounds like a LP. So go play a few and see which one suits your taste. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My les pauls action is great my epi lp's action is just as good too, a set up should fix it or you should be able to fix it yourself. The les paul doesn't have as good higher fret access though but it sounds sooo much better than a strat.
Isn't the strat neck thinner than of the Les Paul? Especially Gibsons. It can make a different, too.
i dunno about thickness as i only has a MIM strat, imagine american strats are thinner

LP necks are fast, just look at buckethead
Quote by Random3
im assuming your talking about a gibson les paul, not an epiphone...

I wish, but I am talking about an Epi
Hello
I you want to play some shred like Yngwie Malmsteen, Becker, Friedman and stuff get the Strat, if u want to play Heavy Metal/Thrash, get a Jackson V. I really dont like LPs.
well i wouldn't take either of them i would grab a sg
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
well i wouldn't take either of them i would grab a sg

I dont want another SG. Even though mine is only an SG Special, I actually like it alot. A pickup swap, and it would be a great guitar!
Hello
Quote by strat07
I you want to play some shred like Yngwie Malmsteen, Becker, Friedman and stuff get the Strat, if u want to play Heavy Metal/Thrash, get a Jackson V. I really dont like LPs.

That's only if you want the stereo-typical neo-classical guitar.

Look at Al Di Meola. That dude RIPS, on an LP. Just for starters.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by MXBoy11

Am I the only one who it has occured to that perhaps what he liked about the Fender guitars was the fretboard? Strats have smaller radius (54 has like 7.25" irrc) fretboard than LPs/SGs, that are said to be more comfortable for small hands.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Am I the only one who it has occured to that perhaps what he liked about the Fender guitars was the fretboard? Strats have smaller radius (54 has like 7.25" irrc) fretboard than LPs/SGs, that are said to be more comfortable for small hands.

Yeah, the Fenders just feel really comfortable to me.
Hello