me and a friend of mine are in a debate about the quality and over all sound of the twin vs the super sonic the twin has the great cleans and u can always make it dirty like the super sonic but the super sonic really doesn't offer any other special features becides the bassman modeling what would u pick
Last edited by Chris Menge at Feb 12, 2008,
I bet you're friends awesome, I hear he's really attractive, and just about the coolest guy in the world.

*Cough*

(I am the afformentioned friend, if you haven't guessed.)

I like the Super-Sonic, because it's versatile and has quite a good built in distortion. It's unique, too.

And it's blonde! Not really a valid point or a reason to buy it. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
... Hmm, that left me kind of confused. But I'm going to assume that you want an amplifier with great cleans. If you want great cleans, go with the Twin. The Twin is a great amplifier if you want cleans. It's shimmering, lush and most of all, it's loud! The overdrive isn't too shabby either. The Super-Sonic is more for higher gain things. You could get better for what you're paying if you're going the high gain route. the Super-Sonic has the option to switch between Bassman and Deluxe modes on the clean channel, but I'd still take the Twin.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
... Hmm, that left me kind of confused. But I'm going to assume that you want an amplifier with great cleans. If you want great cleans, go with the Twin. The Twin is a great amplifier if you want cleans. It's shimmering, lush and most of all, it's loud! The overdrive isn't too shabby either. The Super-Sonic is more for higher gain things. You could get better for what you're paying if you're going the high gain route. the Super-Sonic has the option to switch between Bassman and Deluxe modes on the clean channel, but I'd still take the Twin.

He's just talking about in general. I don't want a shimmering tone, which is why I would say the Super-Sonic.

I also said it's like comparing apples to oranges, but he didn't listen
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
He's just talking about in general. I don't want a shimmering tone, which is why I would say the Super-Sonic.

They are different beasts, that's for sure.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by rafarquhar

True. The Supersonic isn't like any other Fender. It compares more closely to a Mesa Express or F50, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Personally, if we're sticking strictly to cleans, I'd take the Twin. If you need an amplifier that does everything, go with the Super-Sonic.

I'd recommend the Peavey JSX though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The Twin has a ton of versatility though because of how well it takes pedals.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
The Twin has a ton of versatility though because of how well it takes pedals.

That's true to an extent. Have you tried plugging metal distortion pedals into a Twin? My friend did and it sounded like ear rape.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'd prefer to have a Twin and run and overdrive or two through it then have a Supersonic.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Chris Menge
ever try a big muff pi it sounds like an eargasm

If you think the Pi is an eargasm, then I guess you haven't tried the Robert Keeley Fuzz Head or the Analog Man Sun Face!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'd probably take the Twin, but the Supersonic's clean models are really nice. Both of them sound good. I wasn't a fan of the gain channel at all. It may be good for you metal heads, though. I just couldnt seem to make it give me a good blues OD.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I'd probably take the Twin, but the Supersonic's clean models are really nice. Both of them sound good. I wasn't a fan of the gain channel at all. It may be good for you metal heads, though. I just couldnt seem to make it give me a good blues OD.

It's actually not to great for us metalheads. The gain is too loose for my tastes and it's got too much of it.

The blues OD is all in the clean channel my friend. Crank it and get your pull!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^I would have had i not been in a music store. But i need good tones at practice volume, too, lol.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I would have had i not been in a music store. But i need good tones at practice volume, too, lol.

I hear you man. Cranking the thing all the time wouldn't be practical at all.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Oh its clean channels were rather pleasing.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Oh its clean channels were rather pleasing.

I concur! I love the Bassman mode with a bit of dirt on it. It's like I'm getting Cat Scratch Fever all over again!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What's the other mode? Like a vibrolux? It was nice, too. I would like to test them head to head with the real thing to see how close they come.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
What's the other mode? Like a vibrolux? It was nice, too. I would like to test them head to head with the real thing to see how close they come.

That was it! Here I was thinking that it was based on a Deluxe Reverb! Testing them against the real thing would be pretty radical. I wouldn't mind doing that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
For me, its the good old twin hands down. I have a very complex pedal rig, and didn't want an amp that would screw up my tone. Ssolution? I went and bought 2 '65 Twin reissues, and its the best choice I've ever made. They clean up well, with a little drive they break up nice, and are just cool all around. And don't think I'm biased. I played through both at the store. Same guitar, same cable, same pick (like it matters), same riff. Now I personally hate modeling technology, and I didn't let that affect me. But the twin was way better. Not much of a high gain player, though I do crank it to 11 every once in a while. Also, I dislike amp distortion created with gain stages and all that stuff. I find that with the right effects and tweakin, you can make anything sound like anything else. End of discussion.