Hey UG, i picked up mah geetar about 3 months ago, just a simple acoustic from a charity shop, got myself a tuner/ pitch pipe/ chord positioning all in one jobbies.

havnt really practiced cords, obviously i learnt smoke on the water and the first few seconds of stairway to heaven.

are there any songs for a learner to try, something simple, fun to play or possibly any self teach books that youd reccomend?

Thanks in advance

Jon.
Anything with applied theory on diagrams AKA fretboard-like diagrams with numbers on them, if you get a book with that AND scale written before the 'gram you're nicely started, if the book contains LOADS of 'em you're in business, but if your thing is playing aside a campfire forget what I said, you need to learn songs you like, learning songs you like will be actually easier than learning a song that would normally be easier compared to the first one (you get the idea). It always depend on where you want to get with the music.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
"Frere Jaques"

or anything with like 3 chords.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by werty22
Learn open chords. Then learn some simple 3-chord songs.

Exactly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.