Since I have nobody else to turn to, I come to the pit of evil & funny internet words they call "Ultimate-Guitar

Soooo.... I was planning on a new bass this summer, when i get a part time job & i found one that I really dig, Vortex's signature warlock bass, And how some people may question the pointy shapes of B.C. rich guitars and how "uncomfortable" they must be I've come to rely on them for many many reasons (Although I sometimes get occasional stabbage)

ANYWAYS down to the question, this bass I want has bolt neck construction, & I play a B.C. rich that has neck-thru construction, And although I get good results out my current BC bass I can't help but ask if the only difference between bolt & thru was the sustain, 'Cause if the tone on bolt ons isn't as great as neck thrus I don't want to be throwing 600-800$ down the drain...

In a shorter form: Is the only difference between the 2 construction types the sustain?
The tone on the two is DIFFERENT. Neither better nor worse. And the sustain thing is pretty much not a deal anymore, as a quality BO is almost as good as a NT. The tone should be the big difference.

But I must say look at some non-BC Rich basses.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The tone on the two is DIFFERENT. Neither better nor worse. And the sustain thing is pretty much not a deal anymore, as a quality BO is almost as good as a NT. The tone should be the big difference.

But I must say look at some non-BC Rich basses.

You just taught me 4 things in the short amount of text <3

And FYI I'm rather into the ESP EC-404 (les paul type shape, but cooler then a gibson) & the Dean caddilac bass too (les paul with a pointy on the side), I'm just a ***** for B.C. Rich.
In my experienced, NTs have a much 'softer', mellower attack than BOs, which tend to be quite snappy. I was never big on this "sustain" business as I'm quite content playing quickly. I never ever need to hold a note for 2 minutes.

Keep in mind that all NT instruments cost a fair bit more than their bolt-on counterparts - and you might not find the tonal difference worth it, assuming you like the sound of NT instruments better.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, on my yamaha, which is a BO I occasionally get that annoying buzz when playing something, & on my widow which is a NT its always clean and sounds perfect, that was my biggest concern.... I don't care for sustain much either.
the buzzing is more than likely due to the action being out of whack, or the neck starting to bow
Quote by Zar938
the buzzing is more than likely due to the action being out of whack, or the neck starting to bow

Out of whack as in out of tune? because the neck is definitely 100% in shape.

EDIT: Nvm i didn't see the word action, We're done here then.
Last edited by Ðemøñ at Feb 12, 2008,