Hey all, I'm kinda new to playing guitar and am looking for some advice as to what would be a good choice for new pick ups for my Epiphone Les Paul.

I guess I should first say what kind of music I'm trying to emulate or play? I am playing a lot of Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Deftones, Tool and APC. I really like the way Billy Howardell sounds when he plays and I read that he uses Tom Anderson h3+. Any info on these? Or would these be a bad choice for a beginner? Also, wich spot would those go into for the best sounds? Again, sorry for my noobie questions. Thanks.
instead of getting different pickups, get an effects pedal or two. might cost a little bit more, but will be better for you in the long run. putting in different pickups could potentially mess up the finish on the guitar if not put in right and can just destroy resale value, so for now, just go with the pedals or possibly an amp
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
instead of getting different pickups, get an effects pedal or two. might cost a little bit more, but will be better for you in the long run. putting in different pickups could potentially mess up the finish on the guitar if not put in right and can just destroy resale value, so for now, just go with the pedals or possibly an amp

orrrrrrr not. A new amp will be the best choice for the short and long run. That is if you have a bad amp. What amp do you have?
Oh, I guess I can maybe say I'm not that new? I've actually been playing for about 4 years. But I like to stay pretty humble when it comes to saying that I do play guitar, being that I know there are a lot of guitar players that are much better then me.

I use a Line 6 pod 2.0 as well as a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Combo amp. I do use these together a lot as well as just plugging in headphones to the pod. But would like to step up my sound and tone. That's why I was curious about moving into a different set of pick ups. And I would have them installed, not do it myself.
Well the amp isn't all that great. A good beginners amp but nothing else. Running that pod through an all tube amp will be much better. Or better yet, put the pod in the effects loop of your possible new amp and use the amps distortion/clean and use the POD's effects. That would sounds pretty good IMO. Much better than getting new pickups in an already pretty decent stock guitar.

How much money do you have? Could you sell your valvestate and add to the fund?
So, hold up on the pick ups and put the money towards a new amp? I could do that, just not sure what I would be looking for amp wise. Wether or not a combo or a stack would be best. My only hesitation is, I don't want to spend x amount of dollars for home use again, only to decide that maybe I would like to play at a larger scale down the road...but then don't wanna go overboard buying something so expensive that I'll never appreciate it's full use. If that makes sense at all?

Also, I too am pretty disappointed in the current amp I have but still spent $500 on it. Don't really wanna do that again = \
Quote by se7enx
So, hold up on the pick ups and put the money towards a new amp? I could do that, just not sure what I would be looking for amp wise. Wether or not a combo or a stack would be best. My only hesitation is, I don't want to spend x amount of dollars for home use again, only to decide that maybe I would like to play at a larger scale down the road...but then don't wanna go overboard buying something so expensive that I'll never appreciate it's full use. If that makes sense at all?

Also, I too am pretty disappointed in the current amp I have but still spent $500 on it. Don't really wanna do that again = \

Yeah, them guys at Marshall are sneaky at marketing based on name alone. It looks like you are playing some heavier music so I can't make my usual recommendations. YOu should probably sell your amp and look for a used Mesa F-30, B-52 AT 112, Randall RG50TC. Those few amps will probably be your best bet, with the F-30 being my personal favorite out of the three.

It can only be found used because it is discontinued, but they are damn durable and have great tone. If you can find one for $500, I would jump on it.
So mesa boogie, they're probably one of the best choices for me for a brand new amp and speakers because of the music I play or no?
Well the one I recommended is discontinued, so you can't get them brand new anymore. I recommended it because of its great tone, reliability and affordability.

That said, the other amps I mentioned are good if you can't buy used and want to spend less than $600. If you can spend more and buy used, you options will open up a lot.

Edit: I'm going to bed so bump this thread sometime tomorrow and I can help more or send a PM, although I never seem to get them. Hopefully someone else in here can chime in and help you out.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Feb 12, 2008,
Hey guys how's it going. So, I went to the guitar shop today and I didnt really know what I was looking for? More just answers to my question I suppose. I have my pod 2.0 is there anyways to use that to record music onto my computer? Or what would I need to feed my sound straight to my pc so I can save it and add to it later? Also, floorboards...is it even worth getting one since I use my pod 2.0? I just don't like to have to bend over every time to switch from clean to a preset since the buttons are pretty small.