...since January, I started playing July of last year and though I did alternate pick things like chromatic exercises, I'd economy pick them naturally. But I started working on strict alternate picking scales and stuff this year, it's second nature now, but I wanna speed up my downpicking for playing stuff like MoP and other Metallica songs. Do you guys/girls think if I did a half hour of downpicking 16th notes at a tempo I can handle cleanly (on the open low E, at 80 bpm) and strictly uppick 16ths at 56 bpm (I've done these each 5 min. straight, changing every 5 min. for 30 min. total, to build my endurance) that it'd interfere with my alternate picking development in a negative way?

After I did this little routine I thought up that night, I tried my hand at the "Bonded By Blood" main riff which is lots of galloping, which I always start my gallops with a downstroke, each individual gallop if you will, and it felt as if my picking attack was alot stronger, guess I warmed up real good, maybe that's it lol.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
i am so sick of the Metallica Master of Puppets Bullcrap. If there is anything more ridiculous than picking in downstrokes. Oh yeah cool they can pick it in all downstrokes, they MUSt be good. Master of puppets is actually a great exercise for alternate picking, its got plenty of odd up strokes to practice.

pickign all downstrokes is the dumbest thing ive ever heard, by friggin metallica fans. I dont care im not THAT big a metallica fan to want to recreate their retarded style of picking.
^^^ Don't pay attention to his views on downpicking. Downpicking, like any other form of picking, is a useful technique and an art all its own. Especially if you want to play metal, fast down-picked palm muting is a technique you have to master. Your practice routine sounds fine, just gradually speed up the metronome by a few bpm at a time. Good luck.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Manjinken
i am so sick of the Metallica Master of Puppets Bullcrap. If there is anything more ridiculous than picking in downstrokes. Oh yeah cool they can pick it in all downstrokes, they MUSt be good. Master of puppets is actually a great exercise for alternate picking, its got plenty of odd up strokes to practice.

pickign all downstrokes is the dumbest thing ive ever heard, by friggin metallica fans. I dont care im not THAT big a metallica fan to want to recreate their retarded style of picking.

You don't have a ****ing clue, do you.

Downpicking is a REQUIREMENT for playing that stuff. Do you have any idea about sounds or dynamics?
i am so sick of the Metallica Master of Puppets Bullcrap.

Nobody gives a fuck what you think about Metallica. Believe it or not, Metallica aren't the only band that use fast downpicking in riffs. If you don't actually have anything helpful to contribute and you want to just bitch about musical tastes, go somewhere else.

If you're already doing this practice and it seems to be working and helping, then by all means, go ahead. To me it'd be boring as hell, my method of practicing downpicking is just playing songs that use a lot of downpicking (The Black Dahlia Murder has a bunch), but everyone learns differently.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Manjinken

don't listen to him.

Anyways, I don't think your downpicking exercises will have much of an influence on your alternate picking, as long as you still do your alt-picking exercises. After all, when it becomes second nature, you won't forget it that easily. It's a little like riding a bicycle, if you get what I mean.