I've been messing around, trying to learn a lot of Hendrix's stuff, but I've pretty much always stayed in standard tuning, as I'm too lazy to tune the guitar down to Eb. Because of this, I have become very familiar with the sound of Little Wing in standard tuning, in particular.

So, here's the problem. I was trying to see if the tone is any different and/or better with it tuned to Eb standard, so I was playing Little Wing in that tuning, and it sounded completely wrong to me. I checked the strings over and over, and they all were in tune. I even checked at different frets to see how close they were to what they should be, and the intonation was pretty much spot on.

Even though all of the strings were properly tuned and I hadn't listened to the song in E standard tuning before it, I kept gravitating to different frets. For example, I kept on going up to the 8th fret instead of the 7th for some strange reason, and the whole time, it felt very off.

What does this mean ?!?!
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
means nothing. if anyone complains it doesnt sound right just say, "Im playing it in the key of X, moron"

many musicians constantly change the key of the song they play live. Like if a band has one or two songs in flat tuning, when playing live they will most likely play it in standard.

I had two guitars one i kept in C standard so i didnt have to detune so much. but if your strapped for cash, just play it in stardard. Or go pick up a 100 buck squire and keep it in Eb tuning or whatever other tunign you use.
i dont know much about hendrix, i guess your telling me all his stuf is in flat tuning, but ALOT of the time people's tabs are wrong tuning or wrong in general.

try practicing on a keyboard. theys USUALLY stay in tune, helping you develop better ear training.
Quote by seedmole
I've been messing around, trying to learn a lot of Hendrix's stuff, but I've pretty much always stayed in standard tuning, as I'm too lazy to tune the guitar down to Eb. Because of this, I have become very familiar with the sound of Little Wing in standard tuning, in particular.

So, here's the problem. I was trying to see if the tone is any different and/or better with it tuned to Eb standard, so I was playing Little Wing in that tuning, and it sounded completely wrong to me. I checked the strings over and over, and they all were in tune. I even checked at different frets to see how close they were to what they should be, and the intonation was pretty much spot on.

Even though all of the strings were properly tuned and I hadn't listened to the song in E standard tuning before it, I kept gravitating to different frets. For example, I kept on going up to the 8th fret instead of the 7th for some strange reason, and the whole time, it felt very off.

What does this mean ?!?!

It just means your used to how it sounds in standard tuning. Nothing more.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Manjinken
i dont know much about hendrix, i guess your telling me all his stuf is in flat tuning, but ALOT of the time people's tabs are wrong tuning or wrong in general.

try practicing on a keyboard. theys USUALLY stay in tune, helping you develop better ear training.

Well, Hendrix pretty much played exclusively tuned half a step down, and I am certain that Little Wing is tuned that way. I just can't figure why it was sounding so wrong (as in, the intervals themselves sounded bad to me) and why I kept making mistakes (as in, wrong frets and whatnot) because the guitar itself stayed in tune just fine.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Before you play, maybe just play some of the main chords of the song, so you get a feel for the key a half step down. That way, you won't be as tempted to play higher.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
^
That's good advice. Play some chords or something, just to get used to hearing that tuning instead of standard, and it might be okay.

But you got the answer; you're just used to hearing it a half step higher.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)