Hey guys. another noob here. I'm looking to start giggin with a couple of my buddies and was looking for a good tube amp in the price range of $500-$700. I play classic rock, metal and other heavy stuffs so im looking for a high gain amp. i dont have any pedals or anything so any recomendations for them would be great to
Thanks guys,
Keep on rocking in the free world
Vox AC15!!!

Edit: You would need some pedals for metal though
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Peavey Valveking. $500. High gain. All tube. Awesome for the price.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
There may be a Randall combo in your price range. But to effectively cover all your genres, you may look at something like a Traynor YVC50BLUE with an OD pedal. A ts808 or ts9 type, maybe?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I recommend the Randall or Traynor. The Valve King is "meh" imho. Out of all those, the Traynor would be just super.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
But does he really need 100 watts? That's a bit overkill.

well there was i think either a 65w or a 75w for a hundred bucks cheaper.. but still i have a 120watt tube head and a 480watt cabinet and when i play shows i am still playing with my volume at 8
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
That's some kinda crazy, man. I've gigged with a 15-watt tube amp before. I really think he can do ok with less. What kinda gigs are you playing? Wembley? Staples Center? That being said, I could be mistaken.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
50 watts is about as loud as you'd ever need for most gigs. It's usually overkill. If things start getting to big for that, chances are, there's a nice PA around.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by carniferous
That's some kinda crazy, man. I've gigged with a 15-watt tube amp before. I really think he can do ok with less. What kinda gigs are you playing? Wembley? Staples Center? That being said, I could be mistaken.

download festival... haha jk i play small venue shows in a metal band

really though it depends on how loud you are playing your tube amp is going to sound best when its volume is past 6. so if you want to achieve that at a lower volume get a low watt amp, otherwise if you want to be really f*ckin loud then get a bunch of watts
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
I listened to the valveking 112 the other day and it sounded muddy.

Could have been the amp but I really liked the sound of a Marshall DSL401 combo. cleans were pretty decent and with a pedal i think you could get some pretty heavy sounds out of it other wise its fine for hard rock/ac dc type sound.
Quote by MrChris
I listened to the valveking 112 the other day and it sounded muddy.

Could have been the amp but I really liked the sound of a Marshall DSL401 combo. cleans were pretty decent and with a pedal i think you could get some pretty heavy sounds out of it other wise its fine for hard rock/ac dc type sound.
Isn't the DSL401 like $1200 in the US?

That, and it sounds terrible for the price.... You get an MG speaker, Sovtek valves, and an FX loop that can only be bypassed by plugging a jack lead from the send to the return. And the tone ain't so great either.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
+1 on the traynors TNfootballfan62 mentioned
theyre amazing amps and theyre made in canada so the prices will be lowest ther
Thanks for alll the advice guys i apreciate it. i think im going with the traynor. it looks like a great amp. ive also been loking at some Boss pedals. they seem like a good brand for pedals. what do y'all think?
Thanks a bunch
Quote by fastfingerz889
Thanks for alll the advice guys i apreciate it. i think im going with the traynor. it looks like a great amp. ive also been loking at some Boss pedals. they seem like a good brand for pedals. what do y'all think?
Thanks a bunch

I would avoid them through a good tube amp. You could do worse, but their bypass leaves something to be wanted, and sucks tone.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Peavey Valveking. $500. High gain. All tube. Awesome for the price.

Yes!!
Quote by MrCarrot

That, and it sounds terrible for the price.... You get an MG speaker, Sovtek valves, and an FX loop that can only be bypassed by plugging a jack lead from the send to the return. And the tone ain't so great either.

+12352346457

for the 6~ish hours that i had one in my posession (over 28 days before i returned the damn thing) I only got a couple good tones
As i recall, i got a DESCENT velvet revolver tone, and the only other good tones i got were out of the clean channel.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by MrCarrot

I got a DSL 401 for $475 used - ebay. You must not have messed with it much. The amp sounds great. I don't particulary like the clean channel for vintage sounding stuff, but the overdrive on this amp is beastly- with great tone.

Quote by kool98769
+12352346457

for the 6~ish hours that i had one in my posession (over 28 days before i returned the damn thing) I only got a couple good tones
As i recall, i got a DESCENT velvet revolver tone, and the only other good tones i got were out of the clean channel.

Seems quite the opposite experience that I had with my dsl. Like I said before, I dislike the clean channel, but the distortion is incredible. If you couldn't get any good sounds out of it, you have terrible ears.
^Or maybe rather than terrible ears, they have a different opinion from you.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Or maybe rather than terrible ears, they have a different opinion from you.

freaking whatever. way to ruin my well thought out post.
Last edited by reilly91 at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by reilly91
I got a DSL 401 for $475 used - ebay. You must not have messed with it much. The amp sounds great. I don't particulary like the clean channel for vintage sounding stuff, but the overdrive on this amp is beastly- with great tone.

Seems quite the opposite experience that I had with my dsl. Like I said before, I dislike the clean channel, but the distortion is incredible. If you couldn't get any good sounds out of it, you have terrible ears.

actually, i think i just set my standards too high.
And buying a marshall, i was expecting to be able to get the classic rock type stuff. It did it descently, but not as well as i thought it would...and i could live with that. But when i cranked it, the clean channel hate really undefined bass, and i felt like the distortion channel was too bright for the amount of gain it had. I mean, usually with an amp with that much gain, its a tad more darker. I also felt the mids were a bit muddy, but then again, it has a piss poor speaker.

EDIT:
I didnt really explain the standards part.
For a 1200 dollar amp, i didnt feel that it compared to other amps at that price range (granted, i didnt buy it new) But, you definitely cant beat it for 500 bucks, if it works right.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^^Sorry i knocked you down off your high horse. And that edit is DRASTICALLY different from your orginal post.

^Here's one way to beat it for $500: Used Traynor YVC50BLUE.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^^Sorry i knocked you down off your high horse. And that edit is DRASTICALLY different from your orginal post.

lol I know, I figured what's the point
I take back what i said about VK. Went to a different store. played around with it some more. got some pretty decent sound out of it. buying one next time i get paid.
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Happy to hear about your gear, as well
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by fastfingerz889
Thanks a bunch

Fine choice on the amp, lame choice on the pedals.

What effects are you looking for? Different companies are good for different things (Boss isn't particularly good at anything). Get a little more specific, and we can recommend some specific pedals.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well i play a lot of metal and classic/hard rock so im thinking some overdrive and distorion pedals. i would also like a nice chorus one
Thanks all
For OD I like the Ibanez Tubescreamer, and the Fulltone OCD gets a lot of love. Looking for both OD and distortion, you might like the Jekyll & Hyde from Visual Sound. Two great sounding pedals in one, the Jekyll side is a TS808 clone, while the Hyde side is a more aggressive distortion.

I like the EHX Small Stone as a chorus pedal, but again Visual Sound makes the H2O which is a nice delay & chorus combo.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you're looking at chorus, also check out the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus. It's nice. If you drive around west TN you can probably find mine that blew away to who knows where.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
There may be a Randall combo in your price range. But to effectively cover all your genres, you may look at something like a Traynor YVC50BLUE with an OD pedal. A ts808 or ts9 type, maybe?

YES YES YES 1,000 TIMES YES!!!

I've got one with a TS9 (TS808 is better) but ya, with the boost channel, a distortion pedal, and a humbucker you can hit any metal. This amp is GODLY and has that ability to hit the nice British classic rock (i.e. every variety of Zeppelin, Beck, The Who) tones.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
^

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86