alright ive got a job lined up thats gonna start next week and i want a new amp. after a lot of research/video clips/sound clips blah blah i found a couple amps i really liked. 2 of them are the mesa dual recto and the mesa stiletto. i know they ar every different, but i need to know which one would be better for my style. i like to play a lot of classic rock/vintage style stuff, and i like to play a lot of modern metal/core/death/blah whatever you call it. some sounds i like are acdc, van halen, boston, all that remains, job for a cowboy, and between the buried and me. i know the stiletto will easily cover the lower gain needs, and the recto wil cover the higher gain needs. my question is: which of them is lacking the least in the other area? i guess thats how i would phrase it. is the stileto better for heavy stuff than the recto is for classic stuff? or vice versa? se what i mean? if not ill try to explain more lol. thanks for the help everyone
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The stiletto has all the gain a normal recto has, it just has a slightly different color, and much better circuitry. Stilettos have great cleans, and are a great all around amp.

The dual recto's were good before they went to a 3channel design, now they're ok. I think you'd probably prefer a Mark IV or Roadster/Roadking over either amp, but the price does reflect the quality.

I do recommend you save up a bit more and reevaluate what you can buy (used!!!).
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
go with the dual rec and never look back.....

of coarse, the triple rec is only like, 100 bucks more for more power.......

why the hell not go for that?
John Petrucci Fanclub (Member #2), PM chase09 to join
The Stiletto's are one of my favorite mesa amps, especially the Ace. Has plenty of gain to it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Griff4444

Because it is way harder to saturate, and 100 watts is ear rape enough. Do you really think I ever run all the power tubes in my Road King at the same time?

No, because that's overkill...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Griff4444

triple rec us basically useless to have all the headroom and only be able to crank it if you're playing huge venues, that's why you shouldn't go for that. i cannot help you about the Dual/stiletto choice though, as i've never played a Stiletto. i liked my Dual though.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Whenever I go to the music store near here, I always plug into a couple different amps. One is the Stiletto. Great amp, lots of gain available.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
even though it has plenty of gain, can it still stay tight and "chuggy" lol and not be a mess of noise and feedback?

and i know the recto is more versatile than people think, but can it get nice classic-like crunch sounds?

oh and ive thought about the roadking also. its like my dream to own one...i just dont think i could justify it haha. i dont think i REALLY need all those options. i mean come on, 6l6 and el34 in the same amp? its like 4 different amps in one haha. BUT...im still considering it, especially if i find a good deal on one used.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Because it is way harder to saturate, and 100 watts is ear rape enough. Do you really think I ever run all the power tubes in my Road King at the same time?

No, because that's overkill...

I run all the tubes on channel 1, fat, with tube rectification to get the most volume to keep up with the volume of channel 4 (4 6L6's or 4+2) which mesa built with the EQ boosted. I get a thicker tone with more tubes burning at once, but not as much saturation. It's a win lose situation...well, not really, I either play the Mark IV for leads, or run em both at the same time and get something between the 2....works well.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by InanezGuitars44
even though it has plenty of gain, can it still stay tight and "chuggy" lol and not be a mess of noise and feedback?

and i know the recto is more versatile than people think, but can it get nice classic-like crunch sounds?

oh and ive thought about the roadking also. its like my dream to own one...i just dont think i could justify it haha. i dont think i REALLY need all those options. i mean come on, 6l6 and el34 in the same amp? its like 4 different amps in one haha. BUT...im still considering it, especially if i find a good deal on one used.

If you think the roadking is a bit over the top, go with the roadster. You get about 80% the same tone, but without the progressive linkage, and pricetag.

Most mesa's aren't toooo terribly tight to begin with, which would explain why you see 99% of their users running an OD, Signal booster, EQ, or similar pedal in front of it. The Mark series is probably their tightest amp, but it has a ton of smooth midrange, and a ton of gain.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I run all the tubes on channel 1, fat, with tube rectification to get the most volume to keep up with the volume of channel 4 (4 6L6's or 4+2) which mesa built with the EQ boosted. I get a thicker tone with more tubes burning at once, but not as much saturation. It's a win lose situation...well, not really, I either play the Mark IV for leads, or run em both at the same time and get something between the 2....works well.

holy crap dude.....im speechless after looking at your profile and reading your rig....i dont even know what to say. all i could manage to udder was.........holy crap. hahaha. but seriously, a mark IV, roadking, and fender twin? plus all those guitars...holy crap

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you think the roadking is a bit over the top, go with the roadster. You get about 80% the same tone, but without the progressive linkage, and pricetag.

Most mesa's aren't toooo terribly tight to begin with, which would explain why you see 99% of their users running an OD, Signal booster, EQ, or similar pedal in front of it. The Mark series is probably their tightest amp, but it has a ton of smooth midrange, and a ton of gain.

yeah i know they have a reputation to be a bit loose lol, but i meant like it could still have a good metal rhythm tone. i know some amps/pedals/whatever can get high gain, but once they get there they get farty bass, muddy overall tone, fuzzy, etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
yeah i know they have a reputation to be a bit loose lol, but i meant like it could still have a good metal rhythm tone. i know some amps/pedals/whatever can get high gain, but once they get there they get farty bass, muddy overall tone, fuzzy, etc.

I'd really look into the Mark IV if you want a tight gain, without mud, and cuts through the mix like crazy.

It's just as versatile as the roadking if not a little more versatile. The downside would be you don't have all the versatility at once, and the roadking has a lot clearer of leads on channel 3.

Running an OD in front of any medium to high gain amp doesn't really add to the gain, but adds to the articulation, which is why most people use them.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd really look into the Mark IV if you want a tight gain, without mud, and cuts through the mix like crazy.

It's just as versatile as the roadking if not a little more versatile. The downside would be you don't have all the versatility at once, and the roadking has a lot clearer of leads on channel 3.

Running an OD in front of any medium to high gain amp doesn't really add to the gain, but adds to the articulation, which is why most people use them.

i always hear so much about the mark IV lol. ive never really liked any clips of it that much. could be different in real life. and dont worry, im definitely trying before i buy. these amps are not toys haha. i just watched a demo of the roadster and wow. its like everything i want with just enough complicated fun without all the deer in headlights look-inducing stuff hahaha. ill still check out all these. thanks for the help guys. everyone has been really helpful so far. better than i usually get with these kinda threads haha. maybe mesa is just so good, everyone wnats to share the love :-P haha

oh, and bout the OD thing, yeah i knew that. i was planning on trying that with the amps. i never really got the concept of it until i actually did it. it really does make a difference

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
holy crap dude.....im speechless after looking at your profile and reading your rig....i dont even know what to say. all i could manage to udder was.........holy crap. hahaha. but seriously, a mark IV, roadking, and fender twin? plus all those guitars...holy crap

You should check out my gear.

But yes, an OD on a mid to high gain amp. used correctly, will add a slight bit of compression, and define your technique a bit more, IE, tapping nuance is heard more, same with pull off and hammerons.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

You should check out my gear. QUOTE]

Holy Crap!!!

I just fell off my chair and hit my head on the way down!!!!!!
Yeah, I get that alot. However, I don't own the JSX anymore, and a few other things.

15 years of ebay, local yard sales, and the salvation army thrift shop, not to mention online forums.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
Yeah, I get that alot. However, I don't own the JSX anymore, and a few other things.

15 years of ebay, local yard sales, and the salvation army thrift shop, not to mention online forums.

wow. nice. i cant wait til i have enough money for an awesome amp. i feel all giddy inside picturing a mesa or something sitting in my room hahahaha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣