I have been looking for a way to branch out and find something new to do with my bass lately, and I decided I want to learn tapping. The first thing that came to mind is the solo from Metropolis part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper, by Dream Theater. It seems difficult but I think with practice I can nail it. I'll start off by playing it at 25% speed and work my way up. Does anyone have any pointers? It seems pretty straightforward, except for one thing; the notes that are lower on the fretboard aren't marked for tapping in Guitar Pro... so how would I go about playing them? Would I pluck them with my right hand as usual, but relocated over the fretboard near where I'm going to tap?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been a huge help with all of my other recent questions and I know you'll be helpful here too.
Bassists don't tap. Stick to your slapping and popping, greedy bastard.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
Quote by spectre_14

Go back to the guitar forum.

*reported*

TS, Check out the FAQ at the top of the bass forum page- there's a section in there that links to an excellent tapping lesson.
Quote by spectre_14

warned. don't do this... clearly. don't.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
flapz

There's a lot of info out there but one thing you can do on your own to stretch out a bit is go back to a riff that you're familiar with on bass. Now, with that riff in mind, start substituting some of the notes that you would normally finger and pick, with tapped notes. At first, make them the same notes. If you're familiar with the pentatonic scale, that's a good one to work with.
hey, you can put your middle finger (right hand) on top of your index finger, sort of like crossing your fingers, to give you more force for a clearer tapped note,
Thanks for the help guys... I'll check out that FAQ as well.
Quote by soulmastuh7
i am so happy i finnaly have a account yyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyyy

reported for spam
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Go back to the guitar forum.

Ba-ZING, that gets me every time, Delirium!

If you want to look TOTALLY cool, use your right hand for low frets and left hand for high frets. That's right, the crossed arms. I've got this one riff I'm working on that utilizes the crossed arms, and I use the right hand for the roots (since of course that hand is not accustomed to fretting). And if I do say so myself, it's pretty freaking sweet.

Well also, aside from looking cool, it gives you some possibilities that are just out of the question otherwise. Rooting fret 3, tapping 10 and 12, then sliding the root to 2 or 5... you get the picture.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I'm not really a big tapper, but if you want help on the Metropolis solo, you could go here
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
For your right hand you get more sound using your middle finger, but it doesn't feel as natural.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by fleajr_1412
I'm not really a big tapper, but if you want help on the Metropolis solo, you could go here

Nice, I don't have time to watch the video now but I'll definitely take a look at it later.
Try a couple of tapping warm ups. You can tap the spider riff to master of puppets on the e string. Good warm up i find.

That video is very useful mind.
I just watched the video, and it cleared up some things.

Also, I decided yesterday that I'm going to practice on the little bass fill in Dance of Eternity first. It's much easier and shorter and it'll probably help more than just starting out with that complicated one from Metropolis.
Just thought I'd share that after about a 45 minutes, I got the cool bass fill from Dance of Eternity down I'm going to move onto the solo from Metropolis after a little more practice.
Quote by flapz
Just thought I'd share that after about a 45 minutes, I got the cool bass fill from Dance of Eternity down I'm going to move onto the solo from Metropolis after a little more practice.

Are you slapping the open E at the start of that fill?
Actually I wasn't, but after I saw your reply I went back and saw that you have to slap it. I'm done practicing for tonight so I'll get on that tomorrow.