Page 1 of 2
So i just played live for the first time (saturday the 9th) ever in front of a crowd of people at my University's battle of the bands classic rock night a battle of the bands happens once a month usually with a few prizes, gift cards to the bookstore, mall or electronics store, and free pitcher of beer.

it was the most epic thing ever. I went with a few friends who decided we should just go for the hell of it, I was totally against them on this as i have only owned my bass for a year and only really been play recently for the past 6 months, so i was hesitant that i was going to ruin everything, but ended up dragging me and my beginner gear down the the campus bar, because "It doesn't sound right with out the bass mother f***er, and no one cares how bad you play"

So we picked the few songs we all knew and played together before ( My Generation - The Who, Money-pink floyd), each group had 10 minutes and if the crowd liked you enough could get an encore for 5 more minutes.

Once it was our set after another band performed a 10 minute version of framptons Do you feel like we do (it was basically a solo for the guitarist to do what he felt like, ended up loosing people once he was in minute 5 of his 8 minute solo). The previous bass player was a great guy, told me i could use his gear so i could be heard over my friends let me use his 4x10 cabnet and a fretless bass(witch was awesome i didnt get its name), i of course bought him a pitcher for doing this.

We started playing and after the first 20 seconds of sheer fear a strange rush filled my body and i started to get into playing, i relaxed and didnt worry about any minor mistakes and just let the music take over, people were cheering and singing along, i attempted a small bass solo of my own durring My Generation that went over surprisingly well. Money was a blast to play i had a blast and it was over before i could tell what was happening, everyone was having a good time playing. Somehow we got an encore and played Sunshine of your Love - Cream, and i added a few little fills where it felt right nothing out of key mostly a change up in the normal notes.

We didnt win the giftcards but we came third out of eight and got a round, and we didnt care, i had a blast, the drummer was trilled and wanted to go play more, and my guitarist/singer friend already signed us up for Blues night next month. Im hooked and cant wait till next month the stage calls to me like the ocean calls a sailor. we just need to pick two songs practice over reading week. I cant wait.
All I can say is congrats! You have experienced the best feeling a musician can ever feel. Even after 20 plus years of playing, I still get an amazing emotional high from playing live in front of an audience. May this be first of many!

Congrats again!
Awesome! You have got it, man!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks, Its really one of those things you have to try to understand, i never knew the thrill before.
Quote by anarkee
All I can say is congrats! You have experienced the best feeling a musician can ever feel. Even after 20 plus years of playing, I still get an amazing emotional high from playing live in front of an audience. May this be first of many!

Congrats again!

I thought the best feeling a musician could have was hating being famous
It's funny, I've been on-stage consistantly throughout my life, and I always thought it was the biggest rush. When I started gigging, not to say it wasn't a rush, but between singing, playing, pedals, lyrics, and eyes-closing, I don't remember much of my time on stage. All I remember is that I'm exhausted afterwards and need to lug the gear back to the car...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It's funny, I've been on-stage consistantly throughout my life, and I always thought it was the biggest rush. When I started gigging, not to say it wasn't a rush, but between singing, playing, pedals, lyrics, and eyes-closing, I don't remember much of my time on stage. All I remember is that I'm exhausted afterwards and need to lug the gear back to the car...

One of my good friends is like you Fitz--he compares playing live to riding a big wave. You work towards the ride and then you ride the wave in and its over too quickly. And in the process of balancing on the board, and working the mechanics, you aren't really conscious of the moment, just the rush. Interestingly enough, he's also a frontman like yourself.
Quote by anarkee
One of my good friends is like you Fitz--he compares playing live to riding a big wave. You work towards the ride and then you ride the wave in and its over too quickly. And in the process of balancing on the board, and working the mechanics, you aren't really conscious of the moment, just the rush. Interestingly enough, he's also a frontman like yourself.

That's a very good way of putting it. I always wonder why I remember so little, until I see photos of my with my eyes closed! That could explain it...

Which reminds me of a funny story - I kinda chewed out a friend for being on the phone for our entire set (how the hell he'd hear the phone is beyond me)... as it turned out, he was on the phone once for 10 seconds. I must have glanced at him a few times when he was on the phone and thought it was spread throughout the night. Weird...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
One of the main reasons why I'm angry that I'm not in a band anymore is that I miss playing live. Only ever played a few gigs w/ my old bands, but it was great.

This will sound self-indulgent, but it's just a great feeling to go up on stage and play songs that you've been working so hard on, and seeing people appreciate it.
I played with the guys I played with when I first started out on bass this past weekend.

It was incredible.

It had been at least four years since all of us played together and in that time, a few of us (myself included) had grown into true musicians, and just being on stage, leading the kids in jumping around and in worship music was just such an amazing thing to experience again that I was sad when we walked off the stage the last time. The lot of us will most likely never play together again, seeing as how we each have individual projects and the like. Granted, I will most likely play on a stage in front of a crowd in the future, but these are the guys I learned music from, the guys who tolerated me when I was terrible, and the guys who now can just start jamming a song and play through it without a fault.

Still, playing live, no matter what the circumstances, is one of the greatest experiences for a musician, so congratulations on that, Bassman.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
congrats, buddy!
playing a show, is better/almost better, than sex.
rock-on!

Then you aren't doing it right foo'

Yeah, I've never really gigged before, but I've got this feeling when I've done musicals and plays. The difference is, you've got an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours to show what you've got. Plus the rehearsals beforehand also build this up.

Aaaaanyway, it's an amazing feeling, and you'll really start to miss it soon!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by death101
I thought the best feeling a musician could have was hating being famous

posted by death101

EDIT: and congrats. I remember my first time playing. It was so awesome! High School talent shows are cool because we did Santeria last year. Oh it's so cliched for a reggae punk band .
Congrats!

I just wish someone bought me a damn pitcher last night...I let three other bands use my bass and my guitar amp, and nobody bought me any beer...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Congratulations! Playing live rocks and I know what you mean my first gig was this summer but they're pretty constant now and they're so fun! Also Fitz I know what you mean but with less pedals........ I haul everything sing and play bass.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Im with Nutter on this. Ive never really gigged either, but I was in the school band every year since 6th grade (and whatever that would be everywhere else) including marching band starting in 9th and there was no bigger rush to me then than being on that field after our football team screwed up the 1st half (later the 2nd as well) and nailing the show then hearing the crowd go berzerk... God damn I was one hell of a band nerd wasnt I....
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Im with Nutter on this. Ive never really gigged either, but I was in the school band every year since 6th grade (and whatever that would be everywhere else) including marching band starting in 9th and there was no bigger rush to me then than being on that field after our football team screwed up the 1st half (later the 2nd as well) and nailing the show then hearing the crowd go berzerk... God damn I was one hell of a band nerd wasnt I....

Yes.

Yes you were.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thank you for the vote of self esteem Nutter...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Thank you for the vote of self esteem Nutter...

Don't lie to yourself man!

That's a bad road to go down. I love ya really
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Congratulations man! Makes me more excited for my first show, which will be... eventually. I stage manage musicals and plays at my school, and it's a great feeling, even if you're not on stage. And it also feels good to get appreciation for your hard work--something tech crew members and bassists don't get as often as they should!
I have to say that the first time playing in front of a "real" crowd is definately fun. Even the first time I playe with my band at our drummer's grandpa's house in front of about 30-40 people was really fun. Playing live is a real dive. 100+ people is crazy. It's like nothing else.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
I remember my first "gig" was playing for my high school's pep rally - in front of 1500 or so people. Pretty unnerving.
Live....I'd love to do it!!!!!!! You've lived a musician's greatest dream!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
One thing I feel the need to add. For everyone who has posted experiences with band/orchestra/musicals... Playing with a rock band with 3-7 people is a completely different experience. Even playing in a small group for non-rock musicis completely different. I've played in about every size group you can imagine and each group is equally exciting in completely different ways. My personal favorite group to play in is either rock band of about 5 or a string quartet/quintet.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
my firstlive show didnt turn out as great as yours did

played a private party for my friend's birthday.. they all like rap..2 people listened..and we gave it everything we got..it was miserable.......lol
the playing part is awesome

the part where you have to set everything up by yourself, and you end up making tons of phone calls just to get a damn mic stand... well, it's a huge pain in the ass
Quote by slap-a-bass
my firstlive show didnt turn out as great as yours did

played a private party for my friend's birthday.. they all like rap..2 people listened..and we gave it everything we got..it was miserable.......lol

Ouch, thats too bad i hope it didnt put you off trying to play again, when it works its the greatest feeling in the world. I think if that happened i would have been mortified and never go near a stage again.
Mannn.... congrats

i cant wait till i play live for first time....
I hope that that feeling takes over me lol
I remember my first gig, was at Epic skate park in Mosely

and just found out I may be playing Bar Academy Birmingham on March 22nd, as I'm now bassist for another band

my guitarist from my first band is p*ssed at me for it though, lol

but woo, Bar Academy!! = ]
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
all i have to say is congrats and pics?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I was actually talking just yesterday to my friend about how, of all things in life, playing a live show is the only one that really wakes me up and makes me feel alive. Kind of... depressing now that I think about it. Maybe I should do heroin like Scott Weiland.

My first time playing a show was my high school talent show/battle of the bands kinda thing called Showboat. The auditorium was packed and we hadn't been able to find a decent singer, so I ended up playing bass and singing. Trouble is, I'm a baritone... and we played Crazy Train. It didn't sound so bad actually, except they screwed our sound royally. In fact... I think it's still on YouTube... yeah here it is check this old school mess out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j24AHKQZvM4

Notice the AMAZING sound work.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
The thing is don't stop, don't become a rehearsal room band, you only get good by gigging.
What I'm now going to say is true
Bought my first Bass Saturday, gigged the following Friday and during the next 12 months played over two hundred gigs. believe me in that 12 months we became good and I mean good.

Play, Play, Play as often as you can.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Congratulations. But I have to add that you'll have your good gigs and your bad gigs, but try to enjoy them all the same! For example, you have a gig when everyone is up headbanging or dancing, whatever, then the next one, you're left with 2 stumbling drunkards in front of the stage. You've just gotta make the most out of any gig.

Good luck for the future ones, I'm sure there'll be more to come!
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Congratulations. But I have to add that you'll have your good gigs and your bad gigs, but try to enjoy them all the same! For example, you have a gig when everyone is up headbanging or dancing, whatever, then the next one, you're left with 2 stumbling drunkards in front of the stage. You've just gotta make the most out of any gig.

Good luck for the future ones, I'm sure there'll be more to come!

Dont get dishearted by bad gigs, learn the lessons from them then get over them!

My latest gig was a bit of a disaster, poor turnuot (only about 30 of our fans) but the room was full of other bands fans, so there was maybe 100-120 people watching. We were really late getting on stage 'cause my drummer was relying on another drummer to lend him his snare stand, hihat stand and a kick drum pedal but that drummer pulled out! So we were late getting on stage then during our set the power to the sockets on stage went!

In the end we only played 4 songs but in the last song we got everyone singing along in this "crowd participation part" and they wanted an encore

Lessons we learned - drummer needs to bring his own gear rather than borrow someone elses, how not to be in a crisis when something like a technical failure happens.

But we also took some good things away from it with us - we can woo a crowd of not our fans, we put on a good show etc.

Now we're in a big battle of the bands and are practising our socks off for that as well as various gigs across the country.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Not 100% behind this battle of the bands thing, only ever entered one many many years ago; getting on with gigging a full nights work is where you become your own band, you develope your own identity and style.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Not 100% behind this battle of the bands thing, only ever entered one many many years ago; getting on with gigging a full nights work is where you become your own band, you develope your own identity and style.

I agree, but battles of the band seem to be the only way a starting band can play original songs to an audience. They're a necessary evil.

EEEEEVILLLLLLLLL....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evil.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by John Swift

The one in Leicester we've entered is really good and recieved lots of praise from promoters, the venue, the bands etc.

We dont have to pay a dime to enter, we make money on it (the money from the door is split between the bands), big audiences, lots of local press interest, decent judges.

If only all BOTB were like this.

Quote by thefitz
I agree, but battles of the band seem to be the only way a starting band can play original songs to an audience. They're a necessary evil.

Urrr, what does your band in the way of promotions? My band played to 130 people for our first gig, 120 for the next, 250 for the third. Poor audiences often means bad promoting.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Urrr, what does your band in the way of promotions? My band played to 130 people for our first gig, 120 for the next, 250 for the third. Poor audiences often means bad promoting.

Urrm... I sell tickets to people?

I never once complained about having a low audience. That's really never been a problem. Getting advanced ticket sales in to ensure a good time slot while having a vast majority of our fans showing up at the door (while the people who bought the advanced tickets can't really show up because the set time is too late) and magically the bands with the most people in their audience winning always has been. Battles seem to be a cash-grab that are a necessary evil if you want to play as a band with original material.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Page 1 of 2