how would i go about changing my right handed guitar to left?

yes i do wanna learn how to play left as well as right, but would that seriously affect my right handed guitar? and how would i remove the nut???
[url="http://www.myspace.com/luxterna91]...And Now The Descent
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
It wouldn't affect it much I don't think, you might have to change the arrangement of the trem springs if it has a trem. You will have to adjust the intonation as well, for sure.

As for the nut, you can probably just heat it up a little and the glue will come loose, though if they applied the clear coat after the nut was installed you'll have to cut around the edges with a razor blade.

Nice avatar by the way, Damnation=awesomeness incarnate.
Quote by which ones pink
It wouldn't affect it much I don't think, you might have to change the arrangement of the trem springs if it has a trem. You will have to adjust the intonation as well, for sure.

As for the nut, you can probably just heat it up a little and the glue will come loose, though if they applied the clear coat after the nut was installed you'll have to cut around the edges with a razor blade.

Nice avatar by the way, Damnation=awesomeness incarnate.

yes, damnation is the height of greatness

what do you mean heat up the nut, would a hair dryer work?
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
comfort might be a big issue with the knobs being in the way and the contours all switched up
and just in case you wanted to know, to put the nut back on simply use super glue (not alot) and use a clap or just hold the nut in place for a bit and let it dry oh and good luck
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Last edited by RatmN'Roses at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by RatmN'Roses
comfort might be a big issue with the knobs being in the way and the contours all switched up

thats what i was thinking, but i'll have to get used to it, i mean hendrix did
Quote by clincher09
oh and just in case you needed to know (or not) to put the nut back on simply use superglue(not alot) and hold it in place for a bit and let it dry
hope that helped
Send me off to bed forevermore.
i can't imagine raising your rhythm in your fretting handing, and finger strength in your picking hand could hurt you. Some things might get confusing, like tab, or you might try to fret a chord an opposite way or something but I think it just comes down to getting use to it...

but anywayz from what I heard to remove a nut you just need to tap it out, from what I understand its held in place by a little glue, but mostly string tension. But reversing the strings, and adjusting the nut should work fine. Just on some guitars where your input cable is makes a difference. Like on my sg its kinda right where your elbow would go if I strung it left handed
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
You'll have to get a new nut, you can't just flip the old one around or it will mess up the intonation of your whole fretboard.. To get the old one out you should be able to just tap it out gently with a screwdriver or something.. Also DO NOT glue it in with super glue.. a tiny drop of regular PVA glue works fine, super glue is unneccesary.

So yeah then you're gonna need to cut a new nut for left handed stringing unless you don't mind being out of tune all the time..

You'll also have o adjust the action, and intonation, the tuners will work backwards, the knobs will be in the road, the jack will be in a funny place..

Why not just buy a $100 left handed Squier and save yourself tonnes of hassle, it's gonna be hard enough learning to play left-handed, why make it more difficult by using a right handed guitar.

Also if you're just doing it to be Hendrixy.. He could play a normal right handed guitar, strung righty, just flipped over.. With the bass strings on the bottom.. Try and learn that way if you want a challenge.. Then you can just flip your guitar on stage and play solos left handed!
anybody famous ever use left handed guitars strung for rightys???, I play right handed, and I think strats look so much cooler flipped over, I think Im gonn buy a left handed and restring it righty.

and just think about combinations with other guitars if they came left handed, not that any of these necessarily don't.

Dean Cadillac, Gibson Explorers.

of course im not sure how the weights of those would feel flipped, but I could probably get used to it if the tones were pretty smooth.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
There have been a few who played with the strings upside down. Dick dale was one of the surfer music guys from the 60s who did it. It has a different tone to it as down strokes become up strokes. So trying to do some fast all downstroke metallica chungs would be pretty hard to pull off.