Page 1 of 41
Carmel
7,826 IQ
Welcome to the new feedback thread!

In the spirit of 2008 dawning upon us we have revamped the forum a bit.

The veterans and the observant new comers will notice that the Critique Guide moved up to the announcements and that we are celebrating a new feedback thread to help us make this forum a more welcoming and homey place for everyone.

Sit back, relax and start tossing ideas about how to improve the forum!

If you don't have any new ideas, or perhaps you like things just as they are, you are still welcome to give positive feedback, point out helpful features and members and even suck up to us mods.
I personally take cash.

Let the brainstorming begin!

For the The S&L "First Piece" Project click HERE!

This is not a pipe
Bleed Away
th.
2,671 IQ
Wouldn't it be funny if the S+L forum, just like the music world, had like Labels or Teams and they sponser each writer with everything they write. So say if i've written a piece in order for me to release that i would have to give it to my Label or team or whatever in order for it to be posted. And if they thing it's good enough then it's released. Also a sticky thread for each Label or Team can be made to advertise unreleased works that they would like to be read, by posting like a stanza worth of sample or something.

Post back if you guys would like to know more.
Mulbery
Last edited by Bleed Away at Feb 13, 2008,
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)
9,587 IQ
I can't tell if you are serious or not...

But honestly, to me, that idea seems like its building a hierarchy that doesn't need to exist. Things work well... and implementing that type of thing would take away from new users joining in, me thinks. It would be come like record companies now... if you are good, they'll pick you up... but until then you have to fight tooth and nail to make any progress in the world of S&L, which discourages a friendly atmoshpeher and makes it a competiton to get into the best "label"
Bleed Away
th.
2,671 IQ
You've a good point, maybe it might work if we had another sub-forum for this
Mulbery
circular.parade
1,420 IQ
Quote by Bleed Away
You've a good point, maybe it might work if we had another sub-forum for this

Not going to happen.

However, this idea is interesting. Just difficult to implement to S+L. Maybe an interesting twist for the contest forums though. Right now I don't see this happening, but there's no harm in discussing it to see if we can get something out of this.
grevhead221
234 IQ
I think its fine just the way it is. The only problem that i have is that we arent allowed to post in our own threads after 3 posts. I understand why, but i feel like it takes away a bit. Like ive wanted to respond to my crits, but it won't let me cause im not answering a direct question. I think it would be better if it could be made so that if we do post in our own threads, it wont bump the piece, i mean its easy enough to get other people to crit your piece already. Just crit their piece and ask them to crit yours. Its not hard at all. I just think that we should be able to post more than three times in our own threads without answering a question. Just a thought.
Carmel
7,826 IQ
Quote by ZanasCross
First.

Like the new avatar Carmel.

That's all the feedback I've got for now.

Zach
This is not a pipe
ZanasCross
9,587 IQ

Not going to happen.

However, this idea is interesting. Just difficult to implement to S+L. Maybe an interesting twist for the contest forums though. Right now I don't see this happening, but there's no harm in discussing it to see if we can get something out of this.

That could be very cool in Contests. Before each season, have the 3 mods pick, "teams" of writers... like 5-7 in each team. Then let the season go. You could collaborate with your team before posting in a comp etc... and you'd let the free lance guys make a name for themselves as it goes etc.

Only problem is then you'd have to worry about people only voting for team members instead of on best piece etc...

EDIT: Carmel
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...
10,564 IQ
Quote by grevhead221
I think its fine just the way it is. The only problem that i have is that we arent allowed to post in our own threads after 3 posts. I understand why, but i feel like it takes away a bit. Like ive wanted to respond to my crits, but it won't let me cause im not answering a direct question. I think it would be better if it could be made so that if we do post in our own threads, it wont bump the piece, i mean its easy enough to get other people to crit your piece already. Just crit their piece and ask them to crit yours. Its not hard at all. I just think that we should be able to post more than three times in our own threads without answering a question. Just a thought.

Well the rule is rarely enforced to such a strict degree. Usually it is more a case of a thread being closed because a writer double posts.

I mean if your post is near the top (or on the first page) it's not going to get closed if you do, it's just a precaution for people bumping from beyond the end of page one.
Also if you crit and it is easily spotted you do, I wouldn't close the thread if you replied after one.

The 3 mods here might enforce some rules that are different to all other forums, but we're not so strict as to close a thread in a situation like you described, and if it was an issue you'd get a verbal warning first anyway. So you know, you can relax a bit more.

Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
bassbeat77
aka Steve2
6,385 IQ
Quote by ZanasCross
That could be very cool in Contests. Before each season, have the 3 mods pick, "teams" of writers... like 5-7 in each team. Then let the season go. You could collaborate with your team before posting in a comp etc... and you'd let the free lance guys make a name for themselves as it goes etc.

Only problem is then you'd have to worry about people only voting for team members instead of on best piece etc...

I think I suggested something similar a while back. It had the idea of teams anyways. There were a few reasons why it wouldn't have worked though, and I didn't feel like thinking of a way around them. First of all having pre-selected teams would limit the number of people participating in the Contest forum. Yeah we could always do it so newer writers can get drafted, but there would be less willing to participate I think. Mainly because teams would create a more competative atmosphere which may be more intimidating to newer writers.

There were other reasons that I can't remember. I do still think it would be fun to at least give it a try. I think teams would be good for the S+L community, especially if we had enough comps that were team oriented. Were it to happen, I think it might be better to have like 4 - 8 teams with team captains and have those captains do a private draft to make the teams.

Yeah, well I don't know.

Just sayin.

fakeedit: I used to have that pic in your avatar Carmel, but it was just a still image
I like yours better.
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
the team idea is actually an amusing idea maybe for a run in the contest forum...

Mod's be captains and pick teams maybe? Random teams?

I dunno, maybe it's worth a run if the details can be worked out. If it doesn't work, no real big harm done.

eh, all the input i have right now.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by ZanasCross
First.

Like the new avatar Carmel.

That's all the feedback I've got for now.
Zack you're an ass-kisser.
Okay, the new Av is kinda nice. I liked the previous one, though.
I'd grown accustomed to the changing colours in the iris.

"We fear change" -- Garth Algar
Quote by carmel_l
Welcome to the new feedback thread!

In the spirit of 2008 dawning upon us we have revamped the forum a bit. ...

Dawning? It's nearly Valentine's Day. 2008 is well underway.

Speaking of Valentine's Day,
I'm sure your boyfriend won't mind be giving you some flowers.

(Invalid img)

I'll leave now, so you can get the lovely hugs and kisses from him.

(Zack, if you're gonna kiss ass, learn from the master. I always find a liberal dose of super glue works wonders.)

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Deadmen
Resident Dip****
807 IQ
Neon lights and drugs for every small child!

Add a way to see how many crits a person has given.

Like, seprate from postcount, idk.
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
don't know if that's possible or necessary.

And peoples style of critiquing and others definitions may vary.

Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
ZanasCross
9,587 IQ
Quote by bassbeat77
I think I suggested something similar a while back. It had the idea of teams anyways. There were a few reasons why it wouldn't have worked though, and I didn't feel like thinking of a way around them. First of all having pre-selected teams would limit the number of people participating in the Contest forum. Yeah we could always do it so newer writers can get drafted, but there would be less willing to participate I think. Mainly because teams would create a more competative atmosphere which may be more intimidating to newer writers.

There were other reasons that I can't remember. I do still think it would be fun to at least give it a try. I think teams would be good for the S+L community, especially if we had enough comps that were team oriented. Were it to happen, I think it might be better to have like 4 - 8 teams with team captains and have those captains do a private draft to make the teams.

I see your point. I also thing though, that it would be more like the type of thing where in order to get drafted you have to make a name for yourself in the comps too. Like, not as in, "being intimidating to new users" because we wouldn't frown on free-lance guys. Hell, this could be completely separate from the forum too. Something we all do on our own. Something to keep the consistent users in Comps working. Could keep score separately for each team... on another site or forum or via MSN or a group on UG. Make it a "secret" kinda deal just as another fun thing for the regulars. Honestly, how many people become regulars that use the Comps anyways? Since I started a few months ago, Bleed_Away (Fred) and Hope's Downfall (ray) are the only two new ones I know of. BluesyBilly is starting too. It can't be more discouraging than the idea of "competitions" is anyways. I don't know, I think it could be a fun twist to everything.

Each team gets a point toward their tally for each time a member places in a comp. 2 points for a win.
Could have Team v Team, 1v1s... where the team picks one piece to throwout against another team for a point or whatever. Even have a "trophy" to pass around to the winning team to display in their sigs for the next season or whatever.

Just some ideas. I know we've discussed and shot down secret things before... but this really couldn't do any harm, and the idea of being "drafted" could encourage people to put more effort into their work in order to be included. Sort of a "professional league" idea. Who knows.

*waits for Mod to come in and step on my face, and tell my I'm wrong*
bassbeat77
aka Steve2
6,385 IQ
Quote by ZanasCross
I see your point. I also thing though, that it would be more like the type of thing where in order to get drafted you have to make a name for yourself in the comps too. Like, not as in, "being intimidating to new users" because we wouldn't frown on free-lance guys. Hell, this could be completely separate from the forum too. Something we all do on our own. Something to keep the consistent users in Comps working. Could keep score separately for each team... on another site or forum or via MSN or a group on UG. Make it a "secret" kinda deal just as another fun thing for the regulars. Honestly, how many people become regulars that use the Comps anyways? Since I started a few months ago, Bleed_Away (Fred) and Hope's Downfall (ray) are the only two new ones I know of. BluesyBilly is starting too. It can't be more discouraging than the idea of "competitions" is anyways. I don't know, I think it could be a fun twist to everything.

Each team gets a point toward their tally for each time a member places in a comp. 2 points for a win.
Could have Team v Team, 1v1s... where the team picks one piece to throwout against another team for a point or whatever. Even have a "trophy" to pass around to the winning team to display in their sigs for the next season or whatever.

Just some ideas. I know we've discussed and shot down secret things before... but this really couldn't do any harm, and the idea of being "drafted" could encourage people to put more effort into their work in order to be included. Sort of a "professional league" idea. Who knows.

I think it could probably work in the Contest forum without having to be secret. Anyone who doesn't want to take part doesn't have to and can just use the contest forum as is.

For points I was thinking we could just keep the same system and just add the team members points together to get the teams total.
hope's downfall
mellow drama queen
309 IQ
i'm not so sure the teams thing is a good idea. for anyone who isn't initially picked for a team or who comes to the forum mid-season, it would be extremely discouraging. even with saying that freelancers would be welcome, that kind of format would be very uninviting and intimidating.

there's undoubtedly going to be a sense of commune between teammates, and whether its true or not, there will be the assumption that people will only vote for people on their team. to a newcomer, this could make the contest forum, and s+l in general, seem very elitist and very unwelcoming.

i mean, as it is its already hard for newbies to make an impact in the forum. if they aren't spectacular or critiquing incessantly(in a good way) they get overlooked. add to that the fact that they would have to compete, completely unsupported, against well established team relationships, and it will be even more intimidating of an environment.

this is just my initial reaction, but i think it could really hurt the s+l community.
when birds flap their wings do the make believe they're really arms?
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by ZanasCross
Honestly, how many people become regulars that use the Comps anyways?
meh, I tried.
I did ok in one comp, but other ones I entered got cancelled.
I'm like bad luck or the kiss of death or something.
And my writing went sour.
Thank God I don't own a dog.
Poor puppy would have died just for fate to spite me.
Quote by ZanasCross
lol, that's how you know they like you.
On the other hand, when they get out the cattle prod ...
Quote by bassbeat77
I think it could probably work in the Contest forum without having to be secret. Anyone who doesn't want to take part doesn't have to and can just use the contest forum as is.
I think that part might actually enhance the use of the contest forum. As long as it doesn't leave too much of a "footprint", more activity in that forum might lead to more reads on the regular contests. And more votes on them. And more writers entering the regular contests.

But if there needs to be too many threads organizing things, and too many threads for the team contests, it might be counter productive to the regular contests.

With a little forethought, adding teams could probably be beneficial.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
#1 synth
Weeow!
7,350 IQ
I think Mathieu's doing an excellent job as our third mod, so, uh, yay Mathieu!

speaking of Anton, where the heck did pooch get to anyway (and does anyone know how Troy is doing?)
bassbeat77
aka Steve2
6,385 IQ
Quote by hope's downfall
i'm not so sure the teams thing is a good idea. for anyone who isn't initially picked for a team or who comes to the forum mid-season, it would be extremely discouraging. even with saying that freelancers would be welcome, that kind of format would be very uninviting and intimidating.

there's undoubtedly going to be a sense of commune between teammates, and whether its true or not, there will be the assumption that people will only vote for people on their team. to a newcomer, this could make the contest forum, and s+l in general, seem very elitist and very unwelcoming.

i mean, as it is its already hard for newbies to make an impact in the forum. if they aren't spectacular or critiquing incessantly(in a good way) they get overlooked. add to that the fact that they would have to compete, completely unsupported, against well established team relationships, and it will be even more intimidating of an environment.

this is just my initial reaction, but i think it could really hurt the s+l community.

The idea isn't that we have set teams full of only regulars. If someone shows up and wants to be involved with a team, then they'll be put on a team. Newbies can even be encouraged to join a team. But if they don't want to, then the contest forum will run normally for them and they won't really be affected. The only real difference to the contest forum would be that points are also recorded for teams (for those involved) and hopefully we'd get a few team comps going.

Meh... I'm tired and honestly don't know if this will work or not. That's why this is just being proposed as a trial run.

And agreed^ about Mat
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
red is all right.

And to hopes_downfall (name please?), i don't think anyone would be shunned. They could just ask to be included. It may even help people become better friends and improve comradery with newer writers. Maybe even if someone is good, it could play off the whole record thing and teams would try to "recruit/sign" writers??? dunno how that would go- opinions?
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
hope's downfall
mellow drama queen
309 IQ
i'm ray. hi

and as long as there's an honest effort at inclusion, then it might be a cool idea. couldn't hurt to try??
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
that's what I was thinking. If it is presented as a friendly, open, no-real-pressure-besides-competitive-drive thing, it could be a nice addition.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
circular.parade
1,420 IQ
All right this discussion is really interesting. However, I see a few problems.

First, user implication. Everyone's pretty enthusiastic, but I doubt the contest forum is big enough to have, say, three teams of 5-7 players. I just set up the movie comp. And despite pushing the due date several times for people who didn't get it in, to a total of nearly a week an a half, I only had 50% of the entries in (6 out of 12). I see similar stuff happening all the time, exception made of quickie comps and comps that have short length requirements. Point being : We would need to make sure, for that to happen, to have about 15-20 active regulars in the contest forum, which seems kind of overly optimistic for now.

Secondly, the voting. We've had serious issues about that some time back and some singular cases still pop up every once in a while. A lot of people in S&L have egos and--(bare with me) without it being a bad thing at all--, it sometimes influence the voting. Being in "teams" or "labels" would, imho, enforce that pride feeling and void the voting. Then again, if we could have more votes that come from outside the competitors, it would help. I've been brainstorming about ways to get other people on UG to vote seriously in the contest forum, but the main problem could be people coming in, cross-reading pieces, and voting without really trying to understand them. Anyways.

Third, for it to be implemented, it would have to be in an existing forum (contests probably). Also, this is to double-check, but a secondary site would not be encouraged by the UG team here. For several loyalty and ad reasons, I believe, it would raise issues. Also, we'd need to find a way for : 1. people who don't want to be in this whole label/team thing to still be able to compete every now and then (occasional contestants) 2. new contestants to be able to join in whenever (tryouts?) 3.This thing to work without completely altering the contest forum as it is now.

Thanks if you've made it this far
ZanasCross
9,587 IQ
Quote by circular.parade

Third, for it to be implemented, it would have to be in an existing forum (contests probably). Also, this is to double-check, but a secondary site would not be encouraged by the UG team here. For several loyalty and ad reasons, I believe, it would raise issues. Also, we'd need to find a way for : 1. people who don't want to be in this whole label/team thing to still be able to compete every now and then (occasional contestants) 2. new contestants to be able to join in whenever (tryouts?) 3.This thing to work without completely altering the contest forum as it is now.

Thanks if you've made it this far

I think we've already covered the first point you said. The idea is to make this an added "level" of competition for those who are here... so it wouldn't really involve ruling people out, and "free agent" writers could just participate in contests however they wanted... the only thing they couldn't do it team contests. I think one way to implement it would be to have certain comps that are "team allowed" in which team members can sign up and win points for their team and free lancers could just join and strut their stuff. Team members would just sign up with (*team name*) after their name or something. This allows new guys to compete against team members with no problems.

The voting thing is what I was worried about... I mean, how can we stop people from voting for their teams pieces? I say that you absolutely cannot vote for your teams piece... the team leader will know if you did and report it. Then it comes down to whoever got the most votes from the other team. Negative team points could be given for thjose who vote for a team piece. Problem is, this wouldn't work in 1v1s or finals of two pieces... so I'm stumped there.

As to the separate site, Think we could ditch that in favor of a UG group for tallying points etc. In a way it could be like the secret panel, in that people know it exist, but you have to be drafted into a team to get in. Each team could have a separate group for collaboration and general mayhem, then in the spirit of rivalry, the main group could be a place for smack talk and just "hanging out" with everyone involved. As long as the members don't get caught up in the teams, and still put effort into S&L main forum (which I don't see being a problem) everything should be cool.

I think "drafting" would be a neat idea. If someone comes in mid season and has some talent, each team could start talking to them... trying to get them to sign onto their team... so we would pick permanent teams at the beginning and then add on as we go unless things get too lopsided. Each team could do recruiting based on how they work as a team, their points and past championships, etc.. Then, at the start of the next season, everyone who wants in can make a commitment to a team or something. We could even work in player trades etc if gets to lopsided or whatever.

More later, I have to go now... but feel free to respond to what I've said.

EDIT: and yeah your point about numbers in the comps and voting is very valid Mat, I don't know how to work around that.

*Good Idea, Fred. You seem to have started a mudslide of creativity.
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...
10,564 IQ
The 2 problems I foresee:

We've tried groups in the past. It failed. However the pros suggested this time do counteract this to some degree. The proposed profiles for each group + the main profile page removes its existence from the contest forum, except for the elements of labeling certain people with a group during comp sign-ups and 'team' based comps.

However as mentioned the voting now comes into play, despite the trust and respect we all have for each other the contest forum is still taken slightly seriously, thus biased voting is inevitable imo. In a situation where 2 opposing teams face off in a final, they can't vote for their own, will not vote for the other team and as a result, no votes get cast. Or should there be a 3rd wild card entry in the final, not of the standard as the other 2, they would win since both teams would vote for them to avoid anything, or not vote at all.

I stated the obvious, but this is a serious drawback, find a way around this and it'd be worth trying.
hope's downfall
mellow drama queen
309 IQ
^^hmm, that's good in theory, but it would be slightly less effective on people like me. i.e. girls.
bassbeat77
aka Steve2
6,385 IQ
I haven't thought this idea over too much yet, but...

Maybe it's as simple as having captains that can be trusted enough to keep an eye on this problem. We can set the rule that you can't vote for your own team, and if a captain notices that someone on their team isn't voting in other contests then they can mention it to them. If it continues to be a problem then they can kick that person off of the team.

Either that or maybe having one or two people who don't plan on competing to act as referees for the whole thing and keep an eye on people's voting habits.

I think the first option would be more likely.

That's all I've come up with.
samoo
Full-time snail racer
179 IQ
(edit. i wrote this in a roundabout way the first time)

basically, why don't mods just edit the title of a poem, song, whatever when somebody reports the thread starter for not following the rules? the whole reporting and closing threads deal happens ridiculously frequently. why not give the new guys a chance rather than closing their thread immediately when they make the tiniest mistake? show some love.

my two cents.
Last edited by samoo at Feb 19, 2008,
circular.parade
1,420 IQ
Quote by samoo
(edit. i wrote this in a roundabout way the first time)

basically, why don't mods just edit the title of a poem, song, whatever when somebody reports the thread starter for not following the rules? the whole reporting and closing threads deal happens ridiculously frequently. why not give the new guys a chance rather than closing their thread immediately when they make the tiniest mistake? show some love.

my two cents.

^sometimes we do move the threads. Sometimes I do change the title when it's a minimal mistake. Whenever I see that the person made an effort.

Sometimes people don't even try though. Which is annoying. It's a forum, there are rules, and people that act "it's MY internet I can do what I want" wouldn't last too long around here anyways.

That's just me. However, seriously, the main point is that people who don't simply name their song correctly haven't read the rules. It's fair to think that they will also bump their threads, flame, etc. We've seen a lot of those and deal with them every day, believe me.
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...
10,564 IQ
Yeah, further to what Mat has said, I started to close the threads because it is a shock tactic, if we edit the titles and err on the side of niceness then perhaps the message wouldn't get through. Whereas if you close their threads they are more inclined to read the rules to stop it again, then they actually read all the rules instead of just saying, "yeah I get it" then obviously they don't. Hence why I also make a point of not stating what rule they broke when closing their threads, might seem harsh but it does work, very rarely do we have repeat offenders.

As for the team thing, I am willing to give it a go when Season VI starts. It seems the majority are for the idea. I personally am against it, I fear that the already low vote count will further be effected by the 'teams'.

The only problem with saying that team members cannot vote for their own team means that they would rather abstain from voting at all than vote for a rival team. I guess the only way around it would be to have a separate set of contests just for the teams, perhaps where the whole team helps write pieces etc...Regular comps still run on an individual basis and have no association with the teams what-so-ever.
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot
2,775 IQ
that's sort of what I was thinking. As a side points system for pride that you can participate in if you want.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
bassbeat77
aka Steve2
6,385 IQ
I won't be surprised if the whole thing doesn't work, but I figure it won't hurt to give it a try.
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...
10,564 IQ
Well ok then. How to elect team captains? How many teams? How many members per team? Who is gonna create the main group profile page? etc...

Also...before the next season starts I'd just like to throw out a couple of possible changes. I have written out all new threads to go in the contest forum (as seen below) which I am hoping will attract more people. We're still working on making the seasons more fun for everyone so here goes:

The Champions Belt
Since this is a top tier contest, it should be aimed at testing these writers, so I'd like to create a list of 'styles' such as; sonnets, shape, imagery, tableau vivant, etc....which the current belt holder chooses from, then instead of 1 writer challenging, 2 get to challenge, all 3 writers write a piece and they are put in a poll together.

What this accomplishes is more writers being involved in it, testing them more and hopefully a quicker turn over of champions thus more matches. The points might need a revamp too if the idea is liked.

The Newbie Comp
Nothing so dramatic with this. I'd like to add another reward for the 3 winners of this comp. That after every newbie comp ends a quicky comp is set up with the 3 winners in it. This quicky comp will have a maximum of 9 contestants, so only 6 regulars.

Possibly even asking if the winner of the newbie comp wants to run the quicky comp with the assistance of the contest veterans. The new threads that will go up covers everything they need to know with screen caps too.

The new thread is detailed as follows, and will appear as an announcement: -

• Types of Competitions
  • All the competitions + Points quotas
  • How to join a Regular Comp
  • How to participate in a 1v1
  • How to get involved in the Championship Belt

• Starting Competitions
  • The Idea Stage
  • Creating a sign-up thread
  • Setting up a poll
  • 2nd Rounds and the Final.

• Just a few extra things
  • Voting Rules
  • Submitting pieces
  • Posting in the Points thread

My aim with the Newbie comp addition is to lower the amount of users that join the comp, win and then never go back to the contests. If they know how to set up a poll they may be more inclined to stick around.