Page 3 of 40
Oh moddies... does we has solution? if so I'll make a thread.

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that for a while but I couldn't be fucked to dig up my first piece.. and then Zach ran off to the feedback thread with my idea.

Damn straight... I know how to cheat my way through school.
Well, how about we have a thread for sign up first. See how many people want in, so we can organise a display in ratio to how many pieces we have...

You can make a thread if you want, Zach. I'll sticky it.

I might let it sick for a week or maybe less, depending on how fast the signing up dies (or just everyone who wants will sign up really quickly).
This is not a pipe
when I get to a certain number of posts (ie, 70, 80, 90, or 100) in the lyric game thread may I have permission to start a new one? Or do you mods think its not big/important enough to garner a new one?

Either way,
I was just coming in to discuss this, (without reading your post). Yeah you caaaaaan, but I'd like to see if we can come up with something a little different this time, perhaps something a bit less wasteful? Nothing too complicated though. Any ideas?
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
My open mic rap thread sunk pretty quickly

It was more fun than the lyrics game though, and more personal.
So, because I havent written any pieces in like....almost a yearish would I requalify to being a newbie and thus being eligible to enter the newbie comp...or sophomore comp

Can You Fill In The Blanks?
Jamie, if we draw a blank it'll be worth another shot.

Nelson, naughty Nelson, no Nelson, I like the name Nelson, Nelson.

I was thinking a continuous thread where each week a new topic is set, nothing tough, just something to get the ideas flowing.
hmm, like a continuous cycle where every sunday night the topic would be changed and then the people would write a piece ots on the theme and post it just for fun (and they can only have one post per topic)?

Something along those lines?

Well, I have a question for you (and Carmel and anyone else who matters and cares); what do you want the purpose of the thread to be? Community? Material generation? Competition? Elitism? All of the above?

The answer will shape how we go about this revamp.
We could always draw from the pit (yeah, this is gonna be bad):

we could have everyone use the person above them and create some sort of story revolving around that person... but it has to still be in like 5-10 lines. the story would have to revolve around the topic of the week.

>_>
<_<

*runs away*
I kinda like it, but it's aimed at the regulars here that kinda know stuff about each other, and I can see it being an excuse to be insulting, rather than creative. More opinions on Zach's welcome though.
Maybe instead of it having to be about the previous poster, each person leaves an idea (ie. a quote, a setting) at the end of their own post that the next person has to incorporate into their piece, plus the topic of the week of course. Would that take care of the problems that Steve mentioned?
Edit: Deleted.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Last edited by freshtunes at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by #1 synth
hmm, like a continuous cycle where every sunday night the topic would be changed and then the people would write a piece ots on the theme and post it just for fun (and they can only have one post per topic)?

I vote this.
maybe best post each week could get a point in contest forum? This brings up problems though like how to choose the best and if only a few people do then it's too easy to get points.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Yeah I think the topic idea is pretty sound. I also agree with Dylan regarding the points, too many logistics.

So now question is, the finer details:

How long per piece?

How many pieces per topic - 1 is ok, but then again it's 1 post on monday, then you have to wait a week to post again, this thread is gonna be loose, so we need to keep it afloat.

How are the themes decided?

Best way to point out what the new theme? - I vote that the title of the thread is edited each week, maybe a fresh post in the thread too.

Any more questions post 'em.

I prefer the each-user-picks next post theme idea.

It feels more flexible, and more like a game and a laugh. Just amke sure to cap off extreme/too rude suggestions. Keep it clean and it would stretch writers as well as providing inspiration and fun.

I wouldn't over-complicate what is a very popular thread, that a lot of people who don't really post in S+L actually visit.
I am wary of the next user choosing it, but I think Jamie's reasons warrant giving it a go first, if the topics become bland or repetitive then we can think of an alternative.

How about 10 lines for each post? Maybe 2 posts per week?
Yeah. I dunno what would be a good amount, the thread will not be stickied, so it's gonna need some sort of bump everyday, should be enough with 2 posts per week no?
Well how it works now is cool, just that you can't post if you were the last post.

Plus, making a rule like that adds unneccessary mod work. All that's needed is to warn/ban obscene topics etc. which is standard anyway. The threads somethin' fun, somewher we can just go and chill and write. No-one would take's notice of the first post past a point, and I can't see the point in trying to enforce that rule.

It's not stickied now, and it works fine.

I'd say to outline an amount of lines (eight I think'd be good) and just a recognisable strucuture. Say, you post your eight lines then just say the next topic. That way, once it gets to the 200+ post mark people can just rea the latest page and know what to do, as they do with this (to a point).

I'd say it doesn't need a whole reformation and strict policy. Kinda takes the fun out of it imo Steve. Plus would you really say tha you, Mat and Carmel would really keep track of EVERYONE's posts in there, considering there is a good number of non-S+L regulars posting in it?

I'd say just keep it simple, keep it lax but, like usual, make sure no-one goes OTT.

My ha'penny, anyway.
twice a week seems a bit limiting. As it is, people who are never in S&L check in on a regular basis. The simplicity of it all and the general "write about anything" atmosphere is welcoming. I say we keep an "every ___ posts" rule... just maybe move it back to like 7 or something.
Yeah sounds good to me.

8 lines, no restrictions on posting.

I think a mod can make a post each sunday to signify the topic needs changing, the next poster can then choose and write a new stanza based on the topic they chose, yeah?
I think a mod can make a post each sunday to signify the topic needs changing, the next poster can then choose and write a new stanza based on the topic they chose, yeah?

so would it go

1st post - choose next posters topic
2nd post - eight lines; choose next posters topic topic
3rd post - eight lines; choose next posters topic

etc?
I like the idea of having everybody write about the same subject, then the mod announces a new subject after however many days.

But either way this is gonna be cool.
I think we should stick on a topic for at least 4-7 days. especially since 8 lines is the maximum. That way it could serve as a great source of inspiration / plagiarism for everyone.

If, when people post towards the end of the week they add a sugestion for the next topic to their post I am sure it'd be easy to decide what would go next. I don't think that is over complicating it that much, do you?
Nope.

I think we should let Dylan first post thogh because I think he'll get angsty again if he doesn't leave some sort of legacy in S+L.
Lol, if he gets in quick then perhaps. I will put up the new thread in a few hours.
I think that we should have the multi-poll idea that the Gradnd Champs has this season and use it for the bigger comps in the contests forum.

Thoughts?

I think it generates more votes, obviously, and it just adds a bit more interest.
Agreed.

Looking forward to the thread, Steve. Hurry Up.
eh... not to be a whiny bitch...

but could a passing mod please fix the title in my wotw archive poem thing... 'parallax' is missing the first a. it doesn't overly bother me... but the title is a key part in the piece.

thanks or if not, well... okay.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
^ thanks and i should be the one apologising for the inconvenience.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.