Page 4 of 40
Quote by Jammydude44
Nope.

I think we should let Dylan first post thogh because I think he'll get angsty again if he doesn't leave some sort of legacy in S+L.

****. I missed it.

and Jamie, am I that transparent?

Here guys, i've got this idea of a story game thread like the lyrics game thread we've got.
I posted it in the pit but i think people in the pit are not intellectual and serious enough to make something good out of it, so what do ye guys think of me starting it in here??
It could be really interesting to see where it goes and should be pretty good quality stuff too, considering most people in here write pretty well...

this is the link to the thread i posted in the pit...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851804
If you like the idea, any mod, or i could close it there and open one in here...
I like the fact it needs no mod intervention at all. I also don't see why we can't have 2 games running at once.

Talk about it amongst yourselves and I'll talk to my fellow mods about it.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
^yeah, it went down horribly bad in the Pit, but then again, its the PIT!
Over here it would be really interesting to see how a buch of writers could develop a plot into something really interesting!

So you guys okay on me deleting the one in the pit and starting it in here?
could we have a lyrics game discussion thread?

would be a good idea to have somewhere we could talk about the writings, i think

the thread is going well btw.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Here guys, i've got this idea of a story game thread like the lyrics game thread we've got.
I posted it in the pit but i think people in the pit are not intellectual and serious enough to make something good out of it, so what do ye guys think of me starting it in here??
It could be really interesting to see where it goes and should be pretty good quality stuff too, considering most people in here write pretty well...

this is the link to the thread i posted in the pit...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851804
If you like the idea, any mod, or i could close it there and open one in here...

I tried this once long ago... carmel did not approve.
Promises meant a lot back then.
Quote by samoo
could we have a lyrics game discussion thread?

would be a good idea to have somewhere we could talk about the writings, i think

the thread is going well btw.

I personally think a thread like that would fail.
Promises meant a lot back then.
Quote by ninja monkey
I personally think a thread like that would fail.

any reason?

if there wasn't enough discussion, it could be closed & forgotten.

it would take about two minutes to make - no big deal.

hell, i'll make it. if Steve agrees.
Let the story game thread be discussed a bit more. I haven't had a chance to talk to both mods about it yet.

As for the Lyric (game) discussion thread? You mean a thread to discuss established writers lyrics, i.e. from bands and stuff? Is that what you mean?
alrite, you could speak to the other mods bout it n see how it goes... but i feel its would be really interesting...
^ I looked at the thread you had in the Pit and saw a few problems. Some of it was due to the users, but ...

1 - Set a more inviting tone in your OP.

2 - Keep the rules simple and clear. What does between 2 and 4 lines mean? Sentences or actual lines in the output. This part takes 2 "lines" but has 4 sentences.

3 - Don't bother arguing with people by replies if they get it a bit wrong. Edit the OP as needed to make it clearer what you want the people to do.

4 - If you get the go-ahead to do this on S&L, be sure to ask a Mod to close your Pit thread.

5 - Indicate briefly in your OP that this was approved by the S&L staff so others won't be tempted to start their own "game" thead without clearing it first.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by The Hurt Within
As for the Lyric (game) discussion thread? You mean a thread to discuss established writers lyrics, i.e. from bands and stuff? Is that what you mean?

nah, a thread for purely lyrics game discussion only. to talk about each other's eight lines, pat each other on the back, laugh at each other when we post something really ****e.

of course there's a community thread. but there's a whole load of crap going on in there and anybody who mentions the lyrics game will be dismissed and it'll get back to Rod, Jane & Freddy, or whatever.
Yeah I'm not keen on that discussion thread. I think it's going to detract far too much from actual critiques, which is where time is better spent, even if it is to just say a few lines about a piece.

The Prose thread is still open for discussion between you all.
^ WHat if to spice things up, you write the story in a very poetic way... Its sorta like the way you write for the lyric thread but instead you're all continuing on a common plot developing a story...
Eh, it's too pit-like in it's idea. That, and, yeah, it would be a distraction from critiquing.

I like just having the one game up, it's nice and with the community thread I think it's enough. Remember, more floating and stikcied threads leads to less pieces on the front page leads to more bumping and less critiquing.

So I'm against this new-fangled thread.

EDIT: Steve/Carmel you need to make it clearer in the lyrics gamme III that each post must contain poetry/lyric.

Otherwise it's going to get spammy, as it has begun.
Last edited by Jammydude44 at May 7, 2008,
Updated the current Lyric Game thread. Cheers Jamie.
Quote by af_the_fragile
^ WHat if to spice things up, you write the story in a very poetic way... Its sorta like the way you write for the lyric thread but instead you're all continuing on a common plot developing a story...
I'm not keen on the idea in the first place and I doubt many of the S&L regulars will be either. But fuck us. It's not always about what everybody wants. Sometimes the minority needs something that fits them, too.

I'd rather not see the Lyric Game and this thread active at the same time. Maybe after next week we could lock the Lyric Game for a week and let the Story Game run for a week. If it works out, maybe even longer. Then unlock the Lyric game after this one has run it's course.

Just my $.02
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
okay, I wanna make the anthology again. but just an electronic copy. Like a cool word doc with cool formatting that we can just download and print out.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

I'll devulge more of what I'm thinking at a later date (i'm still figuring our how to not be elitest)
So why hasn't the lyrics game been updated yet??

EDIT: ooh, it has... sorry i never noticed it...!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at May 12, 2008,
Quote by #1 synth
further thoughts on online microsoft word book?

Eh, the only thing is we could just print out pieces we like anyday.

But I'm game.
Ok forgive the double post but -

SLAGS!

I think it would work better this time if you one - threatened spam wiith some tasty warnings
two - had fewer categories, only one or two non-S+L type ones
and three let people nom in PM so you can then keep results secret, and then have actual winners.
There were probably too many categories for a not so big group of people who regularly post.

Maybe like 10 spots would be good?
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Yeah, ten spots was what I was thinking.

I think it could all be done much better.

Th epivotal point being Pming nominations so not everyone is going for the same one...

Ediit: SLAG was the S+L Award something, a bunch of awards we were going to do until everyone was too spammy and half-arsed.

search.