I know this is long. If you don't want to read it just move on or read the abridged conclusion at the bottom, but I've been mulling it over for a very long time. I need advice from people that have played a lot of guitars and really know what they're talking about. I currently have 2 electrics: ESP h-302 and a Schecter c-1 hellraiser FR. I have a lot of issues with both, and i"m not sure of what to do, but I think I need a new guitar: One incredible "perfect" guitar to rule them all. If I have to, I'll build it myself (well assemble parts really), but hopefully it won't have to come to that. Read my thoughts on my current setup, then give me any suggestions on guitars and/ or parts you'd suggest.

The schecter:
First, the FR bridge... well it takes me about as long to replace strings on my guitar as it does to replace all the speakers in my car and goes out of tune constantly when I use the trem... not by all that much, but it's annoying. Had it professional set up and restrung at GREAT expense... again the FR bridge... and it still buzzes in some places. The action is still just barely too high for my taste on top of that, and finally, I guess theres something about the scale... it still feels (even with 9s) like I'm going to sprain a finger trying to make bends of more than a whole step. DAMNIT.
The neck EMG (the 85) is powerful and warm. Has excellent tone distorted and clean IMO. No noise whatsoever with both pickups. The bridge... It's pretty good, not great. It's a little weak (could be about 20% louder) and lacks the serious punch I expected. I can actually bring out harmonics easier on my Hb-102 duncan designed pickup in the esp.
Basically I like the pickups in this guitar (more the 85 than the 81). I also like the set neck and excellent sustain. I don't particularly like the width of the neck (would like it a bit thinner), and I am a little disappointed in its playability. As for the bridge, maybe I don't use it enough anyway and need to just forget about it lieu of easier maintenance.

The ESP:
It is light and comfortable, although this isn't a primary concern of mine. It has a neck through body that should give it great sustain, but the schecter is better. The neck here is of a slimmer width, which is nice. The pickups are ok. I like the coil tapping a lot, but the pickups themselves are nothing compared to the EMGs. They're alright clean, but pretty muddy and noisy when distorted. It has a tune-o-matic bridge which makes height adjustments very easy. Finally, it's orange, and doesn't look nearly as cool as the schecter. Overall it is relatively versatile... but its pickups hold it back, and I'd rather get something else than replace them simply for cosmetic reasons. This one is definitely going.

So to sum it up: In the schecter, I like the EMGs (not thrilled with the 81 though). I like the options the FR brings to the table, but it's not worth it. I enjoy the comsetics of the schecter too, I am dissapointed in it's playability. The neck is a little thick, and the string tension is too much (even with 9s). This particular one has trouble getting the action low enough as well. In the esp the neck is nicer, the sounds a little more versatile, and I don't have to mess with an FR bridge (easier maintenance & tuning). Other than that, the components feel cheaper. the pickups suck, and I really don't like the way it looks.

What I want:
PLAYABILITY. I figured with a schecter I couldn't go wrong, but I'm not satisfied. This is my biggest concern. I pretty much want the easiest guitar in the world to play lead on. Very low string tension, low action. I like a slimmer neck too, and good sustain. Next thing is pickups. I want something with similar qualities of the EMG 85 in the neck position. If it has coil tapping, that is definitely a plus because even though I prefer humbuckers, I play some stuff (hendrix, RHCP, SRV) that really calls for more of a strat sound. For the bridge, I want something equally noiseless but that can really scream for outrageously distorted solos. As for a bridge... I think i'm giving up on FR and trems altogether because I don't use them quite enough to warrant all the trouble they cause.

so.. what do you think? I wrote way too much? I know that. I mean about the guitar.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
In case anyone is interested, I play everything but country basically. Blues, hard rock, bordering on metal sometimes, reggae, ska, jazzy stuff, etc. As for my budget, basically assume no cap for now.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
the guitar you have right now is pretty nice. You could upgrade the pickups to top of the line EMGs and toss in a new, faster neck (warmoth.com) and you'd have a really nice guitar. Save yourself a wad of cash too.
You could also use an amp upgrade. I'd worry about that before a new guitar.

Keep in mind I only skimmed over the conclusion before posting this
I'll probably get crucified by the whole i-hate-ibanez-cos-im-so-unique clan, but if you've got the cash, get yourself a high end Ibanez.

Example: The better Jems has all the featuroos you want (extra single coil, good pickups, great neck, decent trem, good sustain even though its a bolt on), while the PGM has the same just with a fixed bridge.

And they purdy
Nah...
Well its all about budget really. I'd suggest a Tom Anderson Strat but it has an FR and it costs something like £3000. I think you'd be looking at higher-end Jacksons like the Jackson Kelly. I think the bridge is string-thru with a set neck for even etter sustain. I'm not sure about the pickups though.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by rush5757
the guitar you have right now is pretty nice. You could upgrade the pickups to top of the line EMGs and toss in a new, faster neck (warmoth.com) and you'd have a really nice guitar. Save yourself a wad of cash too.
You could also use an amp upgrade. I'd worry about that before a new guitar.

Keep in mind I only skimmed over the conclusion before posting this

well... the amp is actually not my priority. It's versatile. I can get tons of diff toneful sounds out of it and serious distortion when I please. If I want more, throw in a metal pedal in the mix. It gets plenty loud for my uses (practice in my room, jamming with a band every so often). It really is the guitar I'm focused on. I dunno if I want to go changing necks on a set neck...
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Grab a Jem.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
either go with a high end ibanez rg series or an s series. or get a shcecter c-1 classic, it is definitely the best guitar i have ever played for less than a grand. The playability is amazing. And it would go with your music styles much better than the hellraiser. The hellraiser is definitely for hardcore/metal and not much else.
or you could get a normal hellraiser w/o the fr. Thats is what I have and i have no tuning problems whatsoever.
Quote by tasty licks
well... the amp is actually not my priority. It's versatile. I can get tons of diff toneful sounds out of it and serious distortion when I please. If I want more, throw in a metal pedal in the mix. It gets plenty loud for my uses (practice in my room, jamming with a band every so often). It really is the guitar I'm focused on. I dunno if I want to go changing necks on a set neck...

Yeah, it's a very versatile amp, I'll give you that, I'm just surprised it can get loud enough (and still sound good) for jamming with a band.
but if it does, then congrats because you'll save yourself some money

And I don't know much about schecters, so I didn't know it's a set neck. That does make it more difficult. In that case I agree with the other guy, a higher end Ibanez wouldn't be a bad idea. I used to have an RG and it was great for metal to jazz. Find one with good pups, and it would be perfect. They have pretty fast necks and are very versatile. And it shouldn't be hard to find one without a FR (as far as i know).
the Jem and ibanez talk is something I anticipated. Jwm is awesome, but I was thinking about it, and with a jem I pay for a lot of things I don't need and could save on. It's not that I am not willing to pay, but the FR isn't necessary and it's cosmetic features are def over the top as far as my needs go. I could just slap evolutions in a much cheaper guitar and save about $1000.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Bro, check out the Ibanez SV5470 man, SynchronizedZR tremolo,which is NOT locking,instead it has locking tuners,which makes it a heck of a lot easier to tune compared to a FR...However, since it hasn't hit stores yet, I'm not sure how it sounds like, unless you can get your hands on a demo video featuring steve vai using it at NAMM2008...It has single coil tapping,which converst the HSH to SSS..Mahogany body...ooooooo yeahhhhhh.........A thin neck...for all your shredding needs...Cool natural blue or honey yellow finish...And 24 frets,for added range...Neck is bolt on though I think...But overall,a great guitar...Price? $1733.99 as advertised at NAMM2008..Sound good? Hell yes!!Gonna be picking one of these babies up in future man..If this guitar calls to you, it will be worth the wait I hope.....Still try some of the current S series guitars to get a feel of it..
I am going to agree on the Ibanez motion, what you are looking for seems to point right towards them. Thats one thing I didnt like a whole lot about the Schecter I played, the neck was a bit thick and it wasnt as fast as the Ibanez. The Jem would be a good choice, but as with any signature model (especially with Steve Vai) you are paying huge for the name. I would look into an RG Prestige, S, or even S prestige if I were you. I am pretty suprised you are having trouble with the OFR, but the ZR and Edge Pro trems on those shouldnt give you trouble.

The other thing you can do is like you said, just build one. I am planning on building or starting to build a guitar over the summer, probably closer to August. I am going to figure out exactly what I want out of the guitar and go for it. So far, I have always liked the Gibson Explorer and Flying V shapes, but dont like how they play so much plus they are a bit over my price range so I think I am going to buy a mohagany body blank and cut out one of those shapes. I would have to say my favorite neck has always been an Ibanez, so I am going to snag a Wizard II off of ebay. I like locking trems, but the only ones I would consider (so far) are the OFR, ZR, and Edge Pro. Since the ZR and Edge Pro seem to be $300+, I thik the OFR is what I'll go with. As far as pickups go, I think I'll end up with a H-S-H setup with Evolutions, Breeds, a combo of those two, or some EMG's in the bridge and neck positions and some Dimarzio middle one. As for color and stuff, I havent decided as it will depend upon the Ibanez I buy later this spring. The two options thus far are either a sexy dark blue body with white pickguard and gold harware or a flat black/dark grey with gunmetal hardware, but I sort of think it'll end up being the dark blue option. If you want to do something like that, I think its a good idea, just be ready for the work. I am sure if you put in the time and do it right you can tackle it though.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+