Page 1 of 3
Is it more correct to call them British or English?
I ask because I am writing a review on war poetry by lots of British/English poets, and I don't know which is more correct to say.

Cheers.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
well English is usually used if you're only refering to people from England,

but if you're also talking about people from Ireland/Scotland/Wales, British is usually used because its easier.

otherwise the fact that theres 5 counties on these little islands might confuse some people
*cough*Americans*cough*
im from england. i like being called english. cause britain is england, scotland, wales and irland.
Not sure exactly where in the UK they're from? Call them British.

Otherwise, we prefer English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish.
Oh righto thanks guys! I'll be using English then.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Quote by scarecr0w
Is it more correct to call them British or English?
I ask because I am writing a review on war poetry by lots of British/English poets, and I don't know which is more correct to say.

Cheers.

im from england, and personally i couldnt care less. either one would be suitable for what your writing i suppose.
Quote by cmchugh
Excuse me, but Britian does not refer to Ireland. People from Ireland are Irish. Not British!

+1

Britain is England, Scotland, Wales, and NORTHERN Ireland.

But either in my opinion, it doesn't really matter, although British is a better word for Americans to use because not a lot of them know much about Britain's geopraphy
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
People from Ireland are Irish. Not British!

just like people from wales are welsh, scotland scotish, england english.
but they are still british at the same time.
Quote by cmchugh
Excuse me, but Britian does not refer to Ireland. People from Ireland are Irish. Not British!

It depends if you're from Northern Ireland or Eire.
I don't like being called British. I'm not British. One of my parents is from England. Not any of the other countries. What, just because they are so near each other you assume we are all inbred to all of them?
I don't like being called British. I'm not British. One of my parents is from England. Not any of the other countries. What, just because they are so near each other you assume we are all inbred to all of them?

i agree,
i hate being called british.
im english and proud of it
Eire is not part of the United Kingdom/Great Britain, but northen ireland is. And yes we English like to be referred to as English, not British.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I don't like being called British. I'm not British.

You are British. The same way you are European, even though you're not Slovakian or anything.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
You are British. The same way you are European, even though you're not Slovakian or anything.

So you all go around saying "Good'day mate im from Oceania" ?
Quote by National_Anthem
It depends if you're from Northern Ireland or Eire.

actually, northern ireland is not part of britain. ever wondered why we're called 'the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland'? thats why. britain is england, scotland and wales.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Greentreejester
So you all go around saying "Good'day mate im from Oceania" ?

Yeah I see your point. But still, you are British, and I am Australasian.

"Good'day" ....
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
I prefer English. "British" is just something the Americans insist on using because they're too lazy to think about the other countries involved
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
This thread clearly shows just how personal and pedantic titles are to (almost) all of us.

Saying that I don't mind. I wouldn't like being called "European" so much, for some reason. Even though Europe is chock-a-block with amazing places and people.

I like British. When someone says "English" I find it hard to get away from an uncomfortable place. Yes I know this is cliché and largely bollocks, but I guess when you knew someone who had a swastika on his wrist and openly supported the BNP it's a bit weird.

Saying that I am as proud to be English as I am British. Isn't that the best way to be?
Quote by cmchugh

I'm British, because I live in the UK and have a British passport. I'm Irish because I live on the island of Ireland.

...but yes, (Great) Britain only refers to the mainland, Northern Ireland is part of the UK but not Britain.

TS, both are correct. Use English if they are all from England, use British if there is any from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland too.
Great Britain: The island of England, Scotland and Wales.
United Kingdom: Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

I don't care if I'm called English or British, just so long as people aren't confused which countries are British.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I'm Scottish and I don't give a toss either way.

It's when British is Welsh and Scottish whereas the English are something completely different that gets on my nerves...
Last edited by boreamor at Feb 13, 2008,
Yeah dont make the mistake of calling people from Eire British- we generally dont like that
Many bands have been booed for saying stuff like ''we love coming to the UK/Britain to play''
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
actually, northern ireland is not part of britain. ever wondered why we're called 'the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland'? thats why. britain is england, scotland and wales.

Good point. See, even us brits get confused. But if you're talking about the British Isles, doesn't it include the whole of Ireland?
Nah, i prefer getting called Scottish, if somebody asks me where im from i always say Scotland.
British doesn't feel right to me at all.
Quote by National_Anthem
Good point. See, even us brits get confused. But if you're talking about the British Isles, doesn't it include the whole of Ireland?

Yes.
English is correct. Britian is N.I., Scotland, Wales, AND England.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
I'm from Wales and prefer to be called Welsh rather than British.

But if someone is saying something about the UK as a whole they had damn well better not call it England!
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by tobysaurus
I'm from Wales and prefer to be called Welsh rather than British.

But if someone is saying something about the UK as a whole they had damn well better not call it England!

+1

That p*sses me off to the max.
Quote by Your_Dad
English is correct. Britian is N.I., Scotland, Wales, AND England.

This man is actually totally the correct. The whole "Americans calling everyone British" thing is almost as bad as the European thing...
Quote by Jackolas
This man is actually totally the correct. The whole "Americans calling everyone British" thing is almost as bad as the European thing...

Read the rest of the thread for the UK vs Great Britain discussion; N.I. is in the UK, but not Britain.
Quote by Jackolas

It's far worse when they call Scots, Welsh people, (Northern) Irish people. "English", though.
what do you call someone from england................ i could think of a few things aye!!!
look what I started. My main point was Ireland is not part of Britian. It doesn't matter if your from Ireland or The six counties of occupied Ulster.... its still not Britian. As stated alreay, you would be considered part of the "United Kingdom" not britian
Quote by AnzioFNK
what do you call someone from england................ i could think of a few things aye!!!

Sassanach, lol.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
I'm Scottish but I'd prefer it if everyone from the British isles was called British, instead of English, Scottish etc

well im Scottish too and if you called me British id be none too happy!
Page 1 of 3