I'm just playing with the thought of building a solidbody guitar without magnetic pickups, only a piezo-equipped bridge (I guess a Schaller TOM).
Now, I guess I would need a preamp of some sort to match the impedances and whatnot but I don't want to pay a fortune for it.

I would be happy if it only had a volume knob and it would make it so that I could just plug the piezo guitar into any regular guitar amp and play.

Could anybody give me a schematic of something like that? Has anybody installed the Schaller piezo TOM? What extra electronics do you use?
Okay, let me put it this way.
Has anybody used a piezo running straight to the amp?
Or:
If a piezo on its own is not a good idea, then will any 9v preamp make the sound better?
Quote by SKVguitars
Okay, let me put it this way.
Has anybody used a piezo running straight to the amp?
Or:
If a piezo on its own is not a good idea, then will any 9v preamp make the sound better?

If you wait a couple of hours, I'll do up a schematic for an onboard piezo pre-amp for you. I was planning on doing one for my acoustic.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
If you search for peizo you should come across a page about the kids that used smoke detectors as peizo's. I know there's two preamps in there.

And peizo's dont sound the best unless they have a 9v circut
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I think in they smoke detector/peizo thread they link to schematics and everything....
itd just sound better w/ a preamp.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
I've got one done, I'm just having a few people check over it for any errors. The only thing is mine uses a Baxandall tone stack, which suits acoustic guitars better than electric guitars. I'm sure it WOULD work on an electric, but I'm not sure how it would sound.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I don't need a tone stack really, I want to keep the thing really simple.
I found the schem from the smoke detector thread, and only one question remains: what value pot should I use to have a volume control after the preamp? I'm guessing 250k like single coils?
You could do something basic like a LM386-based 1/2 watt amp or something. And 100k is standard for a volume control.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!