I really want to be able to figure out songs by ear. But whats the best,quickest way to do this?
By trying to figure out songs by ear
Just start off with easier songs, and eventually you'll start moving onto harder stuff.
any suggestions on songs to start with? and dont say 7 nation army! thx
i used to start with really simple tunes,
then moved to simple songs
then just try harder ones
A lot of sabbath stuff if pretty easy to work out if you know the key just work it out from around minor pentatonic and you should be away. Try N.I.B.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
as said above, if you know the key signature of the song or even one that a band is known for (e.g. Iron Maiden) familiarise yourself with the notes of the scale then loads of maiden songs are easy to pick up by just trying to match pitch on an album to what you play out of your amp
Another good Sabbath song is Symptom of the Universe (one part might give you trouble, you'll know what I mean).
start wit nairvana stuff...if u cant do at least 1/10 give up ,cos u suk
My gear:
Ibanez jem555, rg320, rg170dx
Ashton gt100 amp
boss me50
I know it sounds really childish but start off by humming some nursery rhymes. Things such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star etc, then start noodling around on your guitar. Because you're humming it inside your head, you'll find it easier to find the right key & the right notes to play ...

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

*moved*
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by BodaciousBob
A lot of sabbath stuff if pretty easy to work out if you know the key just work it out from around minor pentatonic and you should be away. Try N.I.B.

+1 Learning the first 2 sabbath albums helped my playing a lot. Also some of the simpler zeppelin songs would be good. And if you want something more melodic try some stone roses.

also learn what every type of interval sounds like. the goal is to be able to identify every type of interval in any key, in any octave.
Last edited by Eirien at Feb 13, 2008,
simple acoustic songs are good too. try some old bob dylan. might not really like the songs but they're simple, regular chords. G-C-D stuff. starting out simple like that will teach you how to learn, if that makes sense...
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
Sooner or later you might want to get into chord functions aswell, that is, hearing which "role" a chord has in a key. A D chord has a different role in the key of D than it has in the key of G. When you start hearing those, you'll be able to just play songs out of the air without even listening to them. It's a great party trick.