Hi guys,
This is an odd problem, and even confused the tech support BOSS guys!

I recently bought a new BOSS CS-3 (compressor/sustainer). It works great on my overdrive/distortion channel, but switching to the clean channel i get quite a drop in volume.
When it's off the clean volume is fine and same with the overdrive, but if i turn it on the volume drops a bit, but not on the overdrive channel.

I contacted BOSS about it and they just said 'turn up the pedal's volume', which i had already tried.

This sort of helped the clean, but it increased the volume of the overdrive aswell.

I've tried levelling both channels, but it's causing me to really crank my clean channel.

I'm playing through a mesa dual recto in case you need to know.

Any ideas would be great!

This isn't just a simple case of adjusting the volumes of both channels so no need to mention that thanks!
what guitar / pickups are you using?

if you use really high gain pickups then this will happen, the compressors job is to flatten the waveform, making each note the same volume.
it happens with my les paul as i have high gain S.D's in it, but its ok on my strat with stick single coils.
they can be used jsut as a limiter aswell, depending on the settings.

i modded mine with the pedaldoc mod (look on ebay, about 10 quid) - makes it sound a lot better
I dunno, I use a CS-3 and it's pretty good, IMO. the EQ is nice, and give my amps the slight amount of push I need to tighten it up on the drive channels.

TS, Are you using the compressor in the loop or in front?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
That's how I use it, but I've used it in the loop as well, with some interesting effects at high volumes.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Cheers Carlson Online! That could well be the issue as i mainly use a Schecter Exotic and it has high output pickups! I'll try it with a few different guitars tonight and see what happens! I should probably cancel my order for duncan invaders! haha!

Thanks again!
i found that if you increase the attack nob to about 3 a clock, and set volume to about 1.30, it sounds battery decent
Quote by beckyjc
Sell and dont buy a crappy Boss compressor.

Sorry but theres a lot of truth in the anti-boss brigade.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by Carlson-online
i found that if you increase the attack nob to about 3 a clock, and set volume to about 1.30, it sounds battery decent

Noice!

I shall give that a go tonight and post with the results!

Thanks again!
Quote by beckyjc
Meh the boss compressor is terrible compared to the rest of the market. When I tried it it just added a load of noise...

Fair enough, I'm just sick of people hating Boss because of a few (or maybe a bit more than a few ) bad pedals.
*rants on about how Boss should reintroduce their discontinues pedals because they pwned*

Anyway, yeah
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
this happened to me and I fixed it really easy. First what you have to do is put the CS-3 on ebay or craigslist. Then buy an MXR Dynacomp or something EHX. Or Keeley. Or pretty much anything.