Hey

Okay, so here's my story. I got a new Ibanez for Xmas, so I decided to use my old Yamaha ERG121 for drop tunings. I have it in drop C right now, with top heavy 11s.

My problem is that when I bend a string the other strings detune. I think the problem is that the string tension is pulling the bridge up slightly (it's a non-locking vintage trem).

What do I need to do to tighten the bridge down to the guitar body? I'm guessing I need to tighten the big screws underneath the saddles but I want to check first incase I screw something up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Ok, you need to adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar, to keep the bridge parallel to the guitar. Also are the strings properly stretched in?
Well, they've been on for a couple of weeks and I've been playing it quite a lot so I think they'll be stretched in by now.

So, I need to take the big panel off the back and then tighten the spring screws? I've not really opened the back up for a while so I forget what it looks like.

Cheers for the help.
Those screws on the end of the bridge saddles adjust intonation, not string tension. Open up the back of the guitar and there should be a few springs in there. There should be two screws that the springs attach to, those are what you want to tighten. First look to see if the bridge is pulling up at all first, your strings might just be going out of tune if their new. You can stretch them to get them to stay in tune.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
Quote by Kindred_Future
Those screws on the end of the bridge saddles adjust intonation, not string tension. Open up the back of the guitar and there should be a few springs in there. There should be two screws that the springs attach to, those are what you want to tighten. First look to see if the bridge is pulling up at all first, your strings might just be going out of tune if their new. You can stretch them to get them to stay in tune.

Nah, the strings stay in tune. It's when I bend one string, the bridge pulls up and the other strings detune. When I stop bending the strings are in tune again.

I was talking about the three big screws underneath the saddles, not the screws at the end btw.

Anyway, I'm going to go and open up my guitar and tighten up the springs. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Done that, problem solved.
Last edited by weemansyndrome at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by Silky Smooth
How's the new Ibanez workin out?

It's great.

It's a fixed bridge, Floyd Roses confuse me.
Quote by weemansyndrome
It's great.

It's a fixed bridge, Floyd Roses confuse me.

Yeah they can be a pain in the ass

its nice to string up tune and play for a change haha
What you're describing is completely normal. It's called tremolo flutter, and you'll need to tighten the tremolo springs in the back cavity. However, with my Yamaha, I had to add another spring, so you may have to, as well.