okay i need a quick answer cuz i need to go to school soon.

what settings do I need to make my bass be heard distinctly but not overpower the guitar? In other words, how do i get a real cutting tone, kinda like john myung?
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Boost your mids.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
boost the mids and treble
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, mids definitely put the bass part in front. I was playin with a group and typically on the EQ I have high bass and high treble with mids at a slightly lower setting.

anyways, I turned up the mids all the way and starting playing (I also have a jazz and turned the front pickup down a bit) and someone started telling me that what I did was really cool this week and asked me to do it as a solo...yet it was the same thing I had been playing all along. The high mids let everyone hear it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Here's my obligatory EQ plug:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/16324/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/8689/

I've passed on years of EQ research and experience in those blogs. If you can get your head around the concepts, you can figure out what EQ sound you want in no-time.

The point of those blogs is that "the mids" don't exist and boosting 400Hz, 500Hz, 600Hz, 700hz, 800Hz, 900Hz, and 1000Hz (all "mids", ****ing bull****!) give completely, completely different tonal qualities, and boosting some frequencies without cutting others will give the exact OPPOSITE effect.

AND!!!

"The mids" you're talking about is in DIRECT conflict with the guitars, whereas ~@2000Hz isn't.

Come on, people!

EDIT: Your guitar player (with passive, ie. cut only EQ) has his "lows" at around 100Hz, and you can go much, much lower. His lows are in a totally different world from your lows.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 13, 2008,
Any suggestions on how to learn Hz rather than "mids" "highs" etc?
My amp operates on those, but I want to learn actual frequencies.
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Any suggestions on how to learn Hz rather than "mids" "highs" etc?
My amp operates on those, but I want to learn actual frequencies.

Just look up the manual for your amp, and find out what frequency each knob responds to.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.