I have a Rivera K Tre' 120w head. I need a cabinet for it. I only play at home so I was thinking of just getting a nice 2x12. I know I can get speakers to handle the wattage, but will I lose tone with a smaller cab? I only want to spend between $400 and $500 and have found I can get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 in that price range.

Any suggestions on a nice 2x12 or thoughts on why I should just go with the 4x12?

I play mostly rock, metal, and am getting more into some blues stuff, so I would like the cabinet to be versatile as well and be able to belt out the lows as well. If I go with a 4x12 it will either be a Marshall 1960 or a Mesa Rectifier.

Thanks for the help!

Eric
I kinda regret buying a 4x12 now as it's really hard to transport because of its size, I really don't mind the weight. If you're only going to play at home and have no intention of ever playing elsewhere, I'd get the 4x12, it will add a little more bass response and spread the sound out a bit more. If it was me, I'd go with the 2x12, it's not that much of a difference in the bass and you could get a very nice 2x12 for the price of a 4x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Getting a 2x12 won't really let you wind up the amp much more at all. I personally prefer 4x12s much more.

The problem that I see here is that you have a 120W tube amp to play at home. I don't even both bring my Mark IV home, as it just doesn't sound right unless I really wind it up.
A well ported 212 will hardly lose any bass response when compared to most closed-back 412's. Look at the Earcandy BuzzBomb and the Genz Benz G-Flex to start with.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM