I play alot of bends and find i hear annoying clicking sounds on b e and g strings occasionally,Lubricating with graphite and pulling strings in and out of nut helps. I have also had nut filed a bit in a shop but still problem occurs.. Its american series strat a £800 guitar i dont think this should happen.. Is it worth replacing nut with roller or graphtech one? Is this normal problem? Also would say a roller nut reduce sustain? Im all for replacing nut if itl help..also does it need professional instalation (graphtech/ roller) or could i do it? Cheers
when you say clicking.

is it the clicking noise of the string getting stuck in the cut of the nut?

it shouldn't be that tight.
swapping a nut isnt that hard, but id be upset if i had to do it on a new strat.
graphtech and roller nuts are nice.

and if you try lighter gauge strings, they might fit better.

but if only do that if i didnt mind going lighter. not just because of the clicking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, I have the same problem with my G string, it makes a ping noise when i tune it.
Hello
hmm no i like my 0.9s.. had 1.0s and clicking wasnt really different. Yeah it s deffinately the nut. Maybe have it filed down again? Also wot are pros and cons of roller or graphtech nuts? p.s i love you UG!
Mx boy, a ping noise is sometimes a tuner that slips. causing ur tuning to go out.

addthlad, if they are clicking with 9's that's already a really thin gauge.

if it was my guitar, i would get a toothpick, put light sandpaper around it, like a little wrap.
and i would pass the toothpick thru the cut of the nut a few times. IN AN UPWARD SLANT, UP TOWARDS FRETBOARD from the headstock side.

you want the nut cut to be higher on the fretboard side, so that it doesnt sit too close to the board. or you'll get buzz.

that is if i thought the cut was too narrow. and the string was getting grabbed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Take the stings off of your guitar and clean the nut with a tothpick and a tissue. Then oil it and the strings. I use fret fast.
jj : Do you mean the nut should be cut lower at head stock end and and higher at end nearest fretboard (just being sure!) ??
addthelad28
Be careful how much you file it down because you'll introduce buzzing. Have you tried different gauge strings to see if you still have the problem? It sounds like the string itself is filing itself down into the nut. When you play, you're forcing the string in a direction across the nut which widens the nut groove. You may ultimately have to go to a hard material for a nut like bone.
Quote by addthelad28
jj : Do you mean the nut should be cut lower at head stock end and and higher at end nearest fretboard (just being sure!) ??

yes. im saying, you are passing thru the cut, lightly, a few times, and when you do,

you need to make sure you follow the direction of the slant ALREADY there.

and that slant should be upward from the headstock side TO the fretboard side.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62