I just noticed the frets on my guitar have gotten really worn down, its not really surprising because ive had it for almost 5 years now, but im starting to get really worried about it, and was wondring how much it would cost. I was also wondering if it would cost extra or something because my neck has a gloss finish to it (I have a MIM 50s strat reissue)
lews,
The finish on the fingerboard shouldn't matter as usually if they replace a handful of frets, they typically use a razor or extremely sharp knife to break the finish between the fret and the fingerboard. I've seen prices range from $50 to $100 depending on replacing a few frets to complete re-fretting.
depends where you go. theres a shop in my area that charges about 200 bucks, but it might be different in different places. dont be worried about it though, the only reason you would need a refret is if your intonation has gotten really bad. if your playing is in tune dont bother.
Quote by Mibisabuela
depends where you go. theres a shop in my area that charges about 200 bucks, but it might be different in different places. dont be worried about it though, the only reason you would need a refret is if your intonation has gotten really bad. if your playing is in tune dont bother.

If its thats much, and with a bolt-on you're better off buying a whole new neck and putting it on yourself.
You don't need a refret, you need your frets resurfaced. Usually the frets can take a few resurfacings before they need to be replaced.

My guitar center had a list of prices of what the shop they use charges do do work on guitars (they don't do the work at guitarcenter). A whole neck refret started at like $400. This is on Long Island, NY where there really aren't any decent music/guitar shops, and certainly nobody with decent prices.

There's always the option of getting a new neck but that's up to personal preference. When the frets on my main guitar go and can no longer take resurfacings, I'm definitely getting it refretted because I love the feel of that particular neck so much.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I paid $150 for the last refret I had done.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM