I was wondering if it would safe or even beneficial to break brand new speakers in by leaving a guitar in front of them and letting them feedback for a few days. My amp is currently SS, so I wouldn't have to worry about frying tubes.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

What on earth are you on about?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can use a delay or loop pedal, and set an actual note or chord on repeat to break in speakers, but feedback is probably a bad idea.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It will cause the voice-coils to overheat and destroy your speaker.
yeah...not a good idea..you break in speakers by actually PLAYING
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
I'm just lazy and was wondering if there was a quicker way to break my speakers in. Ok, thanks for the input.
Quote by Vermintide

Quote by ac/dc_freak91
I'm just lazy and was wondering if there was a quicker way to break my speakers in. Ok, thanks for the input.

You're probably going to get a worse tone with broken in speakers on a solid state amp I would think. Chances are it's going to have a bit of a farty tone to if when the speakers are broken in.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
You're probably going to get a worse tone with broken in speakers on a solid state amp I would think.

Why would you think that?
Quote by ewisnor
Why would you think that?

Solid state amps lack warmth.

Tube amps have that warmth, match that tube tone with a flexing speaker and it just gets warmer.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I thought you only needed to break in speakers for a tube amp? Like these guys said I don't think that's such a good idea for a solid-state. Besides you're taking away hours off the life of the speakers you could have used actually playing it.

EVH does the feedback thing to "crash-test" his amps but that's just to see if it will hold up. If it would hold up feedbacking for a month than the rigors of touring would have not much affect in a way of thinking. In your case it's best to not bother.

EDIT: For future reference (ie. when you get a tube amp) if you're lazy and want to break in speakers than a less destructive way is to play something through it. Hook up your CD player/iPod or whatever and just use it like a stereo and listen to some music through it for awhile. Some say this isn't much better of a method and I still stand by the breaking it in the old fashioned way but it might work.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Last edited by CM_X5 at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Solid state amps lack warmth.

Tube amps have that warmth, match that tube tone with a flexing speaker and it just gets warmer.

So you're saying that if I use an SS amp I need to replace my speakers every couple of months after they've broken in because they won't sound good?
I respectfully disagree with those who say speaker break-in will make a ss amp sound worse. The only thing it will do other than widen the frequency response (a good thing) is necessitate some changes in EQ. The only potentially negative thing may occur after speaker break-in is the temptation to turn the amp up too loud and causing it to clip. If you watch your volume and compensate in the EQ I think you will have a better sounding amp.
I'm getting a tube amp soon, it's just that I have a SS at the moment.
Quote by Vermintide

I say hook them up to your stereo. That way you can sit there looking at your guitar and not playing it using your new speakers.
Quote by ewisnor
So you're saying that if I use an SS amp I need to replace my speakers every couple of months after they've broken in because they won't sound good?

No, what I'm saying is that a solid state amp will always have the same tone from the preamp it always has, and at the factory they setup for the new speaker in it at the moment. Breaking in the speaker would cause it to distort a little easier, and might add some extra smoothness to an already undefined amp tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
No, what I'm saying is that a solid state amp will always have the same tone from the preamp it always has, and at the factory they setup for the new speaker in it at the moment. Breaking in the speaker would cause it to distort a little easier, and might add some extra smoothness to an already undefined amp tone.

Sorry if my questions seem rhetorical or rude, but I don't think I understand the big picture. It sounds like you prefer a tube amp and don't know why anyone would want to use an SS amp. I realize that an SS power amp doesn't have the same natural dynamics that a tube would, but I've played an SS amp through old speakers before and it sounded great. You know, like you would expect a good SS amp to sound.

So if the manufacturer sets the preamp for the factory speaker while new, what do they do for a head? Would EQ'ing the preamp change the tone enough on broken in speakers to make them react like they did before they got broken in?
just to add, i think that in most cases, it also depends on the amp.

so example if you have a small practice SS amp, and try too hard to break it in, there's a really good chance, you'll be left with a buzzing, useless speaker.

given THAT scenario, perhaps breaking in that type of SS amp isnt really going to do anything for you.

so, maybe breaking in a good speaker no matter the amp, adds to the tonal qualities of that amp. and if the speakers were cheap to begin with, not much chance of fixing the bigger problem.

just my thought.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011