There is a film to be released this year called The Poughkeepsie Tapes. The trailer employs the methods of using amateurly shot footage to make it seem as if what we are watching is truly happening before our eyes and that these are actual true life events that did occur in the past.

This approach has been used successfully by many movie such as The Blair Witch Project, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the trailers only) and Cloverfield. I usually enjoy the feel of films like this so upon seeing the trailer I was excited about the movie so I went to the website.

http://www.documentaryfilmpartners.com/

What strikes me about this site, and the reason I am making this thread is that the site says, "Documentary Film Partners is a new, independent filmmaking collective looking to develop and produce hard-hitting documentary programming with unflinching dedication to the facts.

The Collective, as we call it, is made up of both student and veteran filmmaking professionals who strive to teach and learn from one another while producing a style of filmmaking rare in today’s festivals. This brand of collaboration is in the DNA of our company, and every film we develop and produce.

Our independent spirit drives us to tell..."

After seeing only the trailer I had, of course, figured that the film was fictional, but now according to this testimony it is not!

So my question is, does anybody know if these are actual murder tapes that will be shown in The Poughkeepsie Tapes?

And if they indeed are real life murder tapes, what do you think of them being exploited in this way?
ive heard of it... idk anything about it tho. but i dont see how they could get away with using actual murder tapes...
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

The tapes are real.

The movie will NOT show the real tapes.

This would make it a "snuff" film, or a film that shows an actual death.

I believe this is illegal, and that's why they cannot show an actual person being killed.
High as tits
doesn't it take place in Minnesota?

*EDIT* nevermind, NY
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Last edited by mikko_9119 at Feb 13, 2008,
The tapes are not real. A bit of googling shows that.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It's NOT real. The killer is real, I remember this happening as I live about 30 minutes from Poughkeepsie, but the videos ARE NOT. Like Suicidal Brick said, death is illegal to show.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
It's NOT real. The killer is real, I remember this happening as I live about 30 minutes from Poughkeepsie, but the videos ARE NOT. Like Suicidal Brick said, death is illegal to show.

They got a lot of inspiration for the antagonist from real serial killers, but the film is entirely a fabrication.

Quote by bmcmillin
Totally fake. The killer is actually played by the director's wife.

Look for yourselves.

The article says the protagonist is played by the directors wife, not the antagonist
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
They got a lot of inspiration for the antagonist from real serial killers, but the film is entirely a fabrication.

Well there WAS a killer in Poughkeepsie around 2001, so that much is real.
Dickless.
It's the Blair Witch Project all over again...
Founder and Gaz of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim club. PM me to join.

The Metal Militia
"Banging that head that doesn't bang!"

Quote by -Vogel-
All bow down for the mighty Holy Wars
it has been said that the only truth to this movie is the fact that it is about the real killer in poughkeepsie. the rest of the story is fake and is based off of NUMEROUS different serial killers. and this is fact. real event, fake killings
How the Hell do you pronounce Poughkeepsie?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
The real killer was some black guy who picked up prostitutes and killed them at his house then hid them in the attic. People said they could smell the dead bodies from the street outside.
Quote by raise_the_dead
How the Hell do you pronounce Poughkeepsie?

Po-Kip-See.

Sorry, I thought the tapes were real. I know that the killer was real, but I guess the tapes were never found?
High as tits
there are no tapes. the story is made up but the killer is real. in otherwords the killing in the movie have 0 to do with the actual killers killings.
Sounds like a bakery training video.

Poughkeepsie's sausage rolls, they're delicious.
I was stoned off my ass when I saw this preview at AVP: Requiem.

And I have to tell you, it scared the living hell out of me.

I loved it. Can't wait until this movie to come out, it looks incredible.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
i live 15 minutes away from Poughkeepsie so i cant wait to see it
Wake up
Your hiding in your nightmares
Your screaming behind closed eyes
What the hell are you waiting for