Page 1 of 2
Earlier I was in derby, and I have a savings account with a grand in it, me and my friends were at the guitar shop (a sound control) and I thought "I should buy a guitar" saw the Kramer Jersey star and couldn't resist, I had to have it, so I asked the guy if I could try it, me being 15, and he said "No" I was like "why not" he asked "are you thinking of buying it?" and I said "yeah, but I just want to try it so I know how it is" he said "You'll need a deposit on it" but in a snappy, "excuse" fashion. So we left to go to another guitar shop, cos like hell was i staying somewhere that didn't trust me cos I was young, I ended up only getting £200 out rather than the £550 it cost cos I just thought I'll get a Boss DD-3 from somewhere else and be done.

Anyways went back in later and had the same guy eying me up (as the other shop was closed) as if I was planning on stealing something, no idea how that'd work in a guitar shop, anyway then when I asked for the price of the Boss ME (thinking it'll be better than just the DD-3) found out it was in my pricerange, then the guy was all friendly with me, he found out my name from listening to conversations and was like "Rory! You buying this? Is this your girlfriend? What's her name? HAYLEY! He can't get you a present anymore"
I felt like kicking the ****er in the nads.

I hate being pinned as a beginner/a trouble make just cos I'm young. Hell I was in a very "Vai" style outfit, usually they only go against hooded people ¬_¬
i live in panama in central america and i always hear how people in guitar center are assholes but when i went to miami they let me play a 5000 dollar gibson black beauty
A very recognizable story. I think most people can identify themselves with you. I guess it has something to do with people being overly afraid of that 'increasing crime under youngsters' thing that's going around lately.

In a similar story, when I went out to buy my first guitar with my dad, the salesman was an ass first, too. Then he learned we were buying, so he helped us, gave us information. Like a salesman should do. Then when we'd checked out and payed and all, (we were in the middle of a conversation with the salesman, during check out) he was all 'K thx bye, lolol'.

I hated his guts. It's the only guitar-, or even music related store in about 30Km though.

Quote by Twatbucket
i live in panama in central america and i always hear how people in guitar center are assholes but when i went to miami they let me play a 5000 dollar gibson black beauty

Dude... I lived down in Panama for like 4 years. Good times.

I find customer service hit or miss at most of these stores in general. There is usually 1 or 2 people that are very good at what they do. Try and figure out who they are and go to them when you can. I don't think it has much to do with the store name as much as it has to do with people. Some people love what they do while others could obviously care less.
Pfft these guys should really not care so much about getting robbed, I bet they haven't had a theft of any more than a few picks, it isn't even a very expensive guitar comparitively, £500 compared to the PRS' they had in there.

Hell in my loacal guitar shop if you're not intending on buying they'll help you.
I think its all in the people that they employ. I have had great salespeople at small shops and vise versa. I feel for you people being limited in the outlets you have to try equipment. That sucks.
Yeah, I have my local, that stocks good stuff in the locked part and okay stuff in the public access part, and that's still very limited, the other shop that has barely any guitars, and derby/birmingham.

And the other worker was perfect, he helped me as much as he could, knocked £3 off too as I was a lil' short.
yeah, that'd suck. i didn't get it that much as i only start playing around 18 (almost 19), but i look pretty young for my age and for the first few years felt it a bit too.

Nothing as bad as what you went through, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Earlier I was in derby, and I have a savings account with a grand in it, me and my friends were at the guitar shop (a sound control) and I thought "I should buy a guitar" saw the Kramer Jersey star and couldn't resist, I had to have it, so I asked the guy if I could try it, me being 15, and he said "No" I was like "why not" he asked "are you thinking of buying it?" and I said "yeah, but I just want to try it so I know how it is" he said "You'll need a deposit on it" but in a snappy, "excuse" fashion. So we left to go to another guitar shop, cos like hell was i staying somewhere that didn't trust me cos I was young, I ended up only getting £200 out rather than the £550 it cost cos I just thought I'll get a Boss DD-3 from somewhere else and be done.

Anyways went back in later and had the same guy eying me up (as the other shop was closed) as if I was planning on stealing something, no idea how that'd work in a guitar shop, anyway then when I asked for the price of the Boss ME (thinking it'll be better than just the DD-3) found out it was in my pricerange, then the guy was all friendly with me, he found out my name from listening to conversations and was like "Rory! You buying this? Is this your girlfriend? What's her name? HAYLEY! He can't get you a present anymore"

I hate being pinned as a beginner/a trouble make just cos I'm young. Hell I was in a very "Vai" style outfit, usually they only go against hooded people ¬_¬

Staffordshire! Representin' blud Where abouts in Staffordshire do you live? ^^

And I can totally relate to all of that...I'm 16 and I'm always getting peered on in music stores, people making sure that I'm not gonna suddenly run off with a guitar off the wall ...I haven't had much of that in Sound Control though strangely enough, mainly just the smaller shops.

Another shop near me has completely lost my trade now, I couldn't go in at all without them asking me what I wanted, I mean wtf? aren't people allowed to browse anymore? The shop didn't even have anything expensive in it, but a side building that the shop had bought as an extension has a few high end amps. Trying to see them is like booking an appointment with the royal family, both me and my mate wanted to go in but only one person was allowed in at a time, and then he locked the door behind us, ...as if I'm gonna grab a Triple Rec head in a hurry and run with it =P. I just walked around the amps whilst he stood at the door like a freaking bouncer. He saw I was interested in the ENGLs and Mesas, so he was like "I can arrange for you to try it if you'd like"..I knew if I said yes he'd just stand there watching me try it out, so I thought screw it and just left.

How do they expect people to spend large sums of money on amps and guitars when they can't spend some time alone with it and play around with it? .../rant.
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Being a young guy in a luxery item type store that's going to happen to you. Think about all the pricks that come in there and waste their time. It isn't always right, but it isn't always wrong. Do your best to change the image of young, thuggish type losers and thats the best you can do. However when it comes time to buy the guitar don't let him get the sale. Teens have always been thought of as troublemakers in a whole. You are not. F them.
Least you didn't go to Foulds just up the road. They are mindbogglingly anal about people playing before they buy. After you put it back on the wall after they grudgingly let you play for fifteen seconds they polish all your fingermarks off it right before your eyes.

Arses.
Quote by Twatbucket

Yeah, I got to play a $5000 '78 Gibson SG Custom there.... they didn't have a problem, they just said "Be careful with her now" and it was all good. I'm 15 btw.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by danohat
Being a young guy in a luxery item type store that's going to happen to you. Think about all the pricks that come in there and waste their time. It isn't always right, but it isn't always wrong. Do your best to change the image of young, thuggish type losers and thats the best you can do. However when it comes time to buy the guitar don't let him get the sale. Teens have always been thought of as troublemakers in a whole. You are not. F them.

My image today is far from thuggish, hell I actually look pretty old, being a "well developed" 15 year old who hasn't shaved for 5 days I've got a lot of fuzz on the face, I was wearing my purple *cuogh*girls*cough* shirt and a friend's learpord print neckachief. . .was going for the Vai look ya'see
And as someone inexperianced with how to hold a guitar would say "That one with the stars on it" I think he should've trusted me. Damn it sucked! I was really angry, complaining about it all day to my friends they were about ready to throw me over a bridge!

And I've never had this problem anywhere else, to be honest his age possibly had a large factor in it because he was grey haired and looked. . umm probably not far of 60, anyway the other guy, the guy that served me my boss ME-50 was helpful and cool with me, and at other chain stores (fairdeal music in birmingham for example) the staff (the guys who've helped me have always been 19-30) are always helpful and cool with me.

Anyway Matt_Synister, I know what ya mean! I don't know how the hell you can run off with anything worth the time, maybe a couple of picks.
Oh and I'm from Burton, I'll throw ya' a PM
I like my local guitar store, I said I was interested in a pedal, the guy took me to the back, gave me the pedal, a new guitar off the wall, and plugged me in. Then he left me there alone for about 15 minutes. I could have snuck out the back with all of it.
sigh...
Quote by Punk_Ninja
My image today is far from thuggish, hell I actually look pretty old, being a "well developed" 15 year old who hasn't shaved for 5 days I've got a lot of fuzz on the face, I was wearing my purple *cuogh*girls*cough* shirt and a friend's learpord print neckachief. . .was going for the Vai look ya'see
And as someone inexperianced with how to hold a guitar would say "That one with the stars on it" I think he should've trusted me. Damn it sucked! I was really angry, complaining about it all day to my friends they were about ready to throw me over a bridge!

And I've never had this problem anywhere else, to be honest his age possibly had a large factor in it because he was grey haired and looked. . umm probably not far of 60, anyway the other guy, the guy that served me my boss ME-50 was helpful and cool with me, and at other chain stores (fairdeal music in birmingham for example) the staff (the guys who've helped me have always been 19-30) are always helpful and cool with me.

Anyway Matt_Synister, I know what ya mean! I don't know how the hell you can run off with anything worth the time, maybe a couple of picks.
Oh and I'm from Burton, I'll throw ya' a PM

They should have let you try it just because you were dressing in Vai fashion! Those bastards <_<.
Quote by Woelfe
Dude... I lived down in Panama for like 4 years. Good times.

I find customer service hit or miss at most of these stores in general. There is usually 1 or 2 people that are very good at what they do. Try and figure out who they are and go to them when you can. I don't think it has much to do with the store name as much as it has to do with people. Some people love what they do while others could obviously care less.

Haha you had to live in smelly Panama
Personally, I've noticed a big difference between European and American stores, especially the larger ones.

Granted, there are some great stores scattered across Europe with nice staff that will actually let you try something (semi-)expensive, but none really have that great "try whatever you like" attitude American stores like Guitar Center have.

I don't really get why some of those smaller stores act like that, either; with all the online stores which are usually cheaper, the main reason to buy at your local shop would be service and the opportunity to try different guitars side by side. If they start becomming picky bastards about trying out guitars, why the hell should you go there.

An example would be a small-ish store very near me; they're right next to the train station and about 5 mins cycling away from my university.

That means that most of the time, I'm incredibly close to a guitar store. Yet, I never go there, not even for strings.

Thanks to their unhelpful staff and bad pricing, it's actually worth it to travel to other, further away, stores.

This is not the case with every guitar store, but it's pretty damn annoying. Maybe this is just me, but if I want to purchase an instrument, I want some friendly staff, too.

There are only a few types of salesman I've encountered:

-the lazy sod: generally some random guy in his 20's or 30's that doesn't give a damn about the store. If you want to try something out, the lazy sod can come in handy, because they'll never say you can't try something, but a guy whose partially asleap and always reading a magazine isn't ideal for anything else, really.

-the used car salesman: usually found at places like Guitar Center. They'll let you try anything, but can be pretty damn pushy, too.

-the complete bastard: their natural habitat is the small guitar store. If you're under 25 and the instrument you want to play is over 500$, forget it.

-the guitarist: the absolute hardest to find. They're the guys that let you try the stuff you want and will actually engage in guitar related conversion with you.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I'm 15, and i work in a music store, and you would not belive the dickheads I work with. Most of them wont get off their ass to help anyone, and the ones that do are "the complete barstard" type, who patronize anyone under 20 (including me) and have grabbed instruments out of peoples hands from time to time.

theres only 4 people there who play an instrument, so we have to kind of prowl the sections (its a pretty big shop) that hav the instruments we know about. And at the end of the day, the idiots who do nothing walk out with their paycheques and smug grins, and the assholes yell at the rest of us for "not doing our job".

And even when I go there on my day off to browse or whatever (and they know I've been playing since i was 5) they still treat me like an idiot. I call this whole thing the "music shop moron syndrome".
when i was in canterbury a played a JEM 7V and broke a string and the guy just asked me to buy a new one. a small cost to play a guitar like that
Quote by andrewpledger
when i was in canterbury a played a JEM 7V and broke a string and the guy just asked me to buy a new one. a small cost to play a guitar like that

thats pretty lame. if you broke a string its because the strings were old.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
yep, i do NOT like sound control. i thought they were probably being biased against me so i put it to the test, this was about a year ago. i picked up a piece of **** les paul copy that was 250 quid and played it for a bit, then i did the same with a really, really nice feeling second hand lp copy for about 190. one of the assistants came over, asked if i had enough money for the 250 pound one, i said yeah and it was my first guitar and bla bla bla, and he basically said 'the one you're playing right now, the 190 quid one, is a piece of junk. get the 250 one, it's way way better'

walked out straight.
Lol , my friend once got a lp standerd to try , and he droped it , and it chipped and fell on his leg, he ended up sueing the store and got a couple of $$$$ out of it
Well i have pretty friendly music shops by me.. the staff in most of the places know me though hehe
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The music store that I go to, Long & McQuade is awesome. I go there mostly every weekend and I can play whatever guitar I want, and they don't mind it! I am only 14 years old, and I don't feel eye'd down on at all when I'm in Long & McQuade
At guitar world in cannington the one guy who has sold me my fender telecaster and set up my razorback for free is such a great guy aye.
You walk in and he is always playing a guitar if noone is there as soon as you step inside he puts it on wall and is immeadiately "Hey what can I help you with, what can I do for you" etc etc nicest guy I've met in a guitar store.
My floyd ****ed up on my razorback and he was gonna charge $10 to set the whole guitar up and then i went in next day picked it up and he was like "yeah mate just take it no charge on it"

So lucky for me I've had a good experience so far. I would just tell the salesperson that i just wanted to try the guitar before I bought it and if they don't like it and won't let me they can **** off for all i care ahaha.
Quote by Demonikk
Sig quotes can't be raised in captivity as you are trying to do, they must be taken from their natural environment, the vast plains of the pit for them to be truly beautiful

B# and E# exist. IN THEORY.
Prove me otherwise on your guitar.
Quote by sektor47
The music store that I go to, Long & McQuade is awesome. I go there mostly every weekend and I can play whatever guitar I want, and they don't mind it! I am only 14 years old, and I don't feel eye'd down on at all when I'm in Long & McQuade

You should do a Pepsi-commercial or something...

Quote by weretarantula
At guitar world in cannington the one guy who has sold me my fender telecaster and set up my razorback for free is such a great guy aye.
You walk in and he is always playing a guitar if noone is there as soon as you step inside he puts it on wall and is immeadiately "Hey what can I help you with, what can I do for you" etc etc nicest guy I've met in a guitar store.
My floyd ****ed up on my razorback and he was gonna charge $10 to set the whole guitar up and then i went in next day picked it up and he was like "yeah mate just take it no charge on it"

So lucky for me I've had a good experience so far. I would just tell the salesperson that i just wanted to try the guitar before I bought it and if they don't like it and won't let me they can **** off for all i care ahaha.

lol i know that store from when i used to live in perth. now live in london.

yeah they were good blokes too. I went in and they let me play a gibs explorer. funny thing is tho i actually like the sound of my ESP F400 better.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

hi, i feel for you and know exactly what you mean. every guitar store owner near me is a tosser like that. I often get patronized and followed around guitar strores and i am 23!!

The guitar world often appears full of elitist twats.
I'm 14, and my local Soundcontrol let me try out guitars. The staff are fairly nice, a bit pushy though. I prefer to go to Guitarguitar in Costorphine. The staff there are great and they have a huge selection. I broke the zip on a gig bag, I took it bag and they replaced it straight away, didn't even need a receipt or anything.

Mind you, I'm with my parents most of the time so they maybe trust me more if they're with me.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by Punk_Ninja
My image today is far from thuggish, hell I actually look pretty old, being a "well developed" 15 year old who hasn't shaved for 5 days I've got a lot of fuzz on the face, I was wearing my purple *cuogh*girls*cough* shirt and a friend's learpord print neckachief. . .

You actually wore a neckerchief? With a purple shirt????? LOL

No wonder the staff didn't take you seriously.... LMFAO!!!
The only sound control I've been in is the one at Tottenham Court road. They're actually pretty nice in there compared to the other idiots in London. None of the shops in London do it all. There's some with helpful staff but with a limited selection of gear, ones with lots of gear but with snotty 22 year olds metalheads, ones with fantastic up to date websites (electrohill's great for that), but none of them seem to do everything. As a result it's hard to build up relations with the smaller shops since you're forced to go from shop to shop to shop for the smallest differences.
Quote by Y00p
A very recognizable story. I think most people can identify themselves with you. I guess it has something to do with people being overly afraid of that 'increasing crime under youngsters' thing that's going around lately.

In a similar story, when I went out to buy my first guitar with my dad, the salesman was an ass first, too. Then he learned we were buying, so he helped us, gave us information. Like a salesman should do. Then when we'd checked out and payed and all, (we were in the middle of a conversation with the salesman, during check out) he was all 'K thx bye, lolol'.

I hated his guts. It's the only guitar-, or even music related store in about 30Km though.

I hope you didn't give the sale credit to that snot. I would have dealt with another salesperson to ring up the sale, it's like seeing a turd on the shop floor, grabbing the snot's neck, and wiping his face on the turd.

Savvy sellers know how to probe and determine after a few back and forth if a customer has an intent to buy, no matter the age. It also helps to immediately go to another salesperson to ask for the same expensive gear to show intent to buy.

Even though some salespeople are dense or not good at what they're supposed to do, it boils down to how you project yourself.

Quote by one vision
lol, in canada they dont care. i was 14 and lookin at gibsons and the guys like "if you wanna try it, feel free to take it and plug in."

True, although in every guitar I played, I tend to return to the high end Jacksons Our Local Musicstop (Owned by Long And McQuade) Will let you play the same instrument, amp or anypiece of equipent as loud as you want for what time you need to decide to bring it home, they're pretty good, except one salesmen always trying to push you the expensive gear, but other than that, once he shuts up you can enjoy it.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by Ippon
I hope you didn't give the sale credit to that snot. I would have dealt with another salesperson to ring up the sale, it's like seeing a turd on the shop floor, grabbing the snot's neck, and wiping his face on the turd.

He was, and still is, the employee working the guitar floor. It's a mom-n-pop-shop.
unlucky, in my local shop i go into talk to thestaff about new stuff and just ask to try out random guitars or effects, they are a cool with it, i played £1600 jackson soloist last week, was very nice
Quote by Tatersalad1080
do what jimbleton said

^ i did something good!!

Quote by tjhome28
This.

^ to something i said!

☭UG Socialist Party ☭
Quote by Jimbleton
unlucky, in my local shop i go into talk to thestaff about new stuff and just ask to try out random guitars or effects, they are a cool with it, i played £1600 jackson soloist last week, was very nice

Is that not like test driving a Ferrari or Porsche and then having to drive home in your Ford?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
There are only a few types of salesman I've encountered:

-the lazy sod: generally some random guy in his 20's or 30's that doesn't give a damn about the store. If you want to try something out, the lazy sod can come in handy, because they'll never say you can't try something, but a guy whose partially asleap and always reading a magazine isn't ideal for anything else, really.

-the used car salesman: usually found at places like Guitar Center. They'll let you try anything, but can be pretty damn pushy, too.

-the complete bastard: their natural habitat is the small guitar store. If you're under 25 and the instrument you want to play is over 500$, forget it.

-the guitarist: the absolute hardest to find. They're the guys that let you try the stuff you want and will actually engage in guitar related conversion with you.

agreed. i don't like it when people try to "sell" stuff to me. I just want to be handed the guitar, a quick word like "be careful" is fine, and then be left to it. I don't need to be told a pile of guff about how the model is collectable, etc. etc.

granted some people like that kind of personal service, but i just want to be left alone to make my mind up. if i don't want it, i'm not taking no matter how pushy the sales person is. heck, if they're too pushy it makes me more suspicious that they can't shift it and there's even less chance i'll buy.

also agreed about the fact that if a local shop has crap service, and most often is more expensive, you probably won't buy from them and might as well go to a superstore/online. If you're going to get crap service, you might as well get good prices...

Quote by Punk_Ninja

there's your problem. if you are interested in buying, you probably don't want to dress like an emo kid who's wasting an hour while his mum's finishing the shopping.

you don't need to dress like a stockbroker from the city, but a little sense can help...

of course, i disagree vehemently with discriminating based on what you wear, but it happens.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2