hey guys
i've recently come into a bit of cash, and i was looking to get a new bass, since i've had mine for 3 years now, a Yamaha RBX270, and it buzzes like crazy. I've compared the sound to my bass teacher's music man (not sure what, but he's had it for 10+ years, its sooo nice), I found my yamaha was pretty terrible.
He reckons for someone playing grade 5 deserves something better, so I though maybe I'd get a Fender samerican standard Jazz Bass (link to the one i want)
now this may sound shallow, but i want it to look nice, so i'm thinking maple fretboard and candy cola.

are there any other nice (maple fretboard, white pickguard) jazz basses around for the same sort of price?
I've tried a jazz bass, and I love them, unlike their counter-part, the P bass, which i despise

or any helpful suggestions? thanks guys, you've helped me with quite a few problems already

EDIT: start of page 2 for pics!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Last edited by Jonn0 at Feb 25, 2008,
The "jazz" bass sound at that price really only comes from Fenders. You could check out Lakland maybe?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i'm gonna say go for the jazz bass, they are great basses and it seems you know you want one so for it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
yeah, the laklands look good
but my god i sound pretentious, its probably the "fender" and "jazz bass" that drag me in
having a fender would make me feel like it wasn't a remake of another bass, so i'd be happy

s'why i couldn't get a squier, even if it is still technically fender
You know what? That's a huge reason people have for buying a bass. The brand name. That's the only thing that explains the Thunderbird.

You should also look into American Deluxe Fenders - they cost a few hundred more, but IMO are very worth it, considering their modern appointments and better cuts of wood. The colours might be a bit off-putting (Black + gold pickguard!?), but they make some nice colours.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I agree with Fitz, the American Deluxe range are excellent. (Black and gold happens to be a very sexy combination in my opinion).
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
yeah
mate
GO WITH A JAZZ
i bought one last christmas
and never looked back

it makes EVERY SONG sound amazing

go for it
well I just ordered it last night, candy cola finish with a maple fretboard, and i'm buzzing with anticipation, it should be here on tuesday

YAY!
wooooooo!
You better give us pics when it arrives!
Quote by skater dan0
you should play it for a while and then do a bass of the month review, im really curious as to how good these new american series are.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by ryenzio1
you should play it for a while and then do a bass of the month review, im really curious as to how good these new american series are.

yeah i will do

I went into my local bass store and tried out a squier custom (£300), thinking it was a fender and being really happy with the tone coming out of it. I then noticed the headstock that it didn't actually say fender. I asked the guy there how much better the fender was on show in the shop and he said it blew the squier out of the water, and mine would be EVEN better, so i'm even more excited
just to show what it will be an upgrade from,

my Yamaha RBX270
not going to sell it because I doubt its even worth £40, plus it has sentimental value
yay for new bass though!
well, for an update, I have yet to receive my bass, the case was damaged to GAK ordered a new one
they were polite about it so i'm not too bothered
it may come between sunday and tuesday now, providing nothing else happens *touches wood*

still excited!
I bought a MIA Fender Jazz today (The one you linked to)
Sunburst... hated it till I saw this... get one, now.
The S-1 switch adds lots of growl as well.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Jonn0
well, for an update, I have yet to receive my bass, the case was damaged to GAK ordered a new one
they were polite about it so i'm not too bothered
it may come between sunday and tuesday now, providing nothing else happens *touches wood*

still excited!

I know this is off topic but, how are GAK with customer service? Because I called them to find out the price on a Warwick stand, and the number wasn't recognized, and it's leading me to think that it's a fake site.
Quote by skater dan0
well its definately not a fake site, my friend got a jackson off there, and it came quickly
he didn't have any problems, so its good with customer service too
Quote by fleajr_1412
I know this is off topic but, how are GAK with customer service? Because I called them to find out the price on a Warwick stand, and the number wasn't recognized, and it's leading me to think that it's a fake site.

gak isn't a fake site, they have a massive store in brighton if i remember correctly it's just they take their time updating their site
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by fleajr_1412

I've never had to worry with customer service because the service in the first place was so good!

I ordered my Jazz bass from them. Saved £90 over Sound Control and the shipping was cheap.

It was delivered just a couple of days after i ordered and thats with standard shippin!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Email GAK and they'll match the price of any other online store...so find it as cheap as you can, email the link to GAK and get it cheap and fast.
WAHEY!
i got it in the post about an hour ago, being playing and just looking at it, its a beauty, and plays like a beast
pictures for all that asked

Wow. That really looks amazing. The colour looks great and well, so does everything else about it. Congratulations.