So I have a stack that sounds PERFECT as a hybrid. No solid state tone at all, pure tube sound, i'm not lying! Generally if you place it just before your power amp, and run all the effects and preamp through it, it sounds amazing. Now the question is, I want to put it in my amp, DIRECTLY after the effects loop. I want to have the tube hanging down and the knobs [output, drive, bass, mid, high] to be on the back of the amp[for easy access and easy installation]. What parts are needed[per say, do I really need to put more crap in it?] Although, it would seem easier just to convert the female 1/4" jacks to direct soldering. And now the ultimate question. Is putting a tube in a guitar for boost, safe?

Another idea I have is to put one power amp tube right after the SS power amps[and have it always run at 5]. Possible? Cool? Would also be neat if I could get a input[preamp] to output[power amp] and have one big box as a pedalboard and just run that through a PA. I know it sounds crazy, but these are the epic idea's I've had lately.

The board would have every good and useful effect known to me.

Installation: cut and triple the length of the tube pedal power chord. [forgot to mention I'm using a pedal] Unsolder wires from female 1/4" jacks and solder in and out to the amp board to where it forces everything to go through the pedal. Right after the effects send and return loop.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Last edited by Leat at Feb 13, 2008,
Huh? You can't put a tube right into a solid state. Lots of wiring involved, and electronic systems including tube heaters, transformers, a new power supply, and all sorts of wiring. Very complex, plus you would need new PCBs and all sorts of stuff. At least thats what I'm getting out of it, as you're being about as clear as mud.
lol wut?

but really, are you talking about where to put a tube in a hybrid amp? I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Leat
So I have a stack that sounds PERFECT as a hybrid. No solid state tone at all, pure tube sound, i'm not lying! Generally if you place it just before your power amp, and run all the effects and preamp through it, it sounds amazing. Now the question is, I want to put it in my amp, DIRECTLY after the effects loop. I want to have the tube hanging down and the knobs [output, drive, bass, mid, high] to be on the back of the amp[for easy access and easy installation]. What parts are needed[per say, do I really need to put more crap in it?] Although, it would seem easier just to convert the female 1/4" jacks to direct soldering. And now the ultimate question. Is putting a tube in a guitar for boost, safe?

Another idea I have is to put one power amp tube right after the SS power amps[and have it always run at 5]. Possible? Cool? Would also be neat if I could get a input[preamp] to output[power amp] and have one big box as a pedalboard and just run that through a PA. I know it sounds crazy, but these are the epic idea's I've had lately.

The board would have every good and useful effect known to me.

Installation: cut and triple the length of the tube pedal power chord. [forgot to mention I'm using a pedal] Unsolder wires from female 1/4" jacks and solder in and out to the amp board to where it forces everything to go through the pedal. Right after the effects send and return loop.

Wow... how many questions were in there and How many of them are even worth answering or even commenting on...
Quote by stradivari310
lol wut?

but really, are you talking about where to put a tube in a hybrid amp? I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at.

I run a tube pedal through the effects loop. I want to put it in the amp itself.

FX return:

----->>>------ or something regular[bad] schematic

FX return[pedal insert]:

--/pedal in and out\-->>>-----
Last edited by Leat at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by Leat
I run a tube pedal through the effects loop. I want to put it in the amp itself.

Not possible for the reasons I said why in my first post.
"don't fix what ain't broken." if it works like a treat leave it as it is. you might end up destroying your sound by adding it to the amp.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Considering I want to just interrupt the signal before the resistor/capacitor/etc. after the effects loop return. It should be possible.
This whole idea doesn't sound too solid. #1 it probably won't make anything sound any better, #2 like it was mentioned before, you will probably end up destroying the pedal and/or the amp.

Just taping (as I will call it) the innards of a tube pedal inside the amp won't make it a tube amp. The circuitry of the tube pedal isn't all passive components (duh because there is at least a tube and maybe transistors or opamps too for all you know) so you will need to always have a power source for the pedal components (9v battery if the pedal ran off of 9v DC) as you will not be able to magically power the tube from the amp itself.

If you have no experience whatsoever with tube audio amplifiers and higher level electronics skills, you wouldn't be able to pull anything off near redesigning the power section of an amp. Plus it wouldn't be cheap and you could probably build an amplifier for the amount of money you would need to throw in.

So there is literally no point in randomly ruining a nice pedal to install it inside your amp to get the same exact thing as having it in your effects loop aside from some proper buffers and whatnot.
^Keeping the original power chord, JUST CUTTING AND MAKING THE LENGTH LONGER so that it will match the length of my amp power chord. It is active and runs on AC. The Idea would be to create another fx loop right after the normal[but not really, just for the tube] and then leaving everything else alone. So you see...I got this.
what your trying to do is to put it bluntly, stupid,,, with far less trouble you could make your own amp also what you are saying doesnt really make muc sense about the power cord and ****
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
judging by your youtube videos, your tone sounds nothing like "pure tube sound" as you call it, while the metal tones might be passable (i honestly can't tell the difference between the quality of most high gain amps) the cleaner tones are incredibly sterile and lifeless, and even to the point of being harsh at times.

with all that said, with the money it would cost to try and retrofit your amp, you could sell it and that pedal and upgrade your amp. just a suggestion, because i don't know how you'd get proper voltage to the pedal and amp with one power chord, i think it's impossible.
^I swear people can be dumb. NO the pedal has it's OWN attatched power chord. Like an AC adapter, but attatched. And I would simply triple the length of THAT chord, so it would match the length of my AMPS power chord....just forget it guys. I know what I'm talking about and I can get it to work.