My band wants to record a demo. we're only in high school and we want to make it very cheap. we are thinking of buying the Behringer Eurorack UB502 and some Nady StarPower 1 microphones. Can the Eurorack be hooked up to the computer? How? Will it work to have everything mic'd and into the mixer and the mixer into the computer?
I'd book time in a studio. Probably wouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred bucks, maybe even less, and you'll get better results.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

but, we want to record rough sounding songs just to put on myspace or whatever to get shows. Would the eurorack into the computer work? Because, that would only cost about 60 dollars for the mixer and some mics.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
but, we want to record rough sounding songs just to put on myspace or whatever to get shows. Would the eurorack into the computer work? Because, that would only cost about 60 dollars for the mixer and some mics.

You don't need a mixer if you are recording on the computer. Just get an audio interface with sufficient inputs, the computer does the mixing.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
You don't need a mixer if you are recording on the computer. Just get an audio interface with sufficient inputs, the computer does the mixing.

True, but some people really want a hands-on feel of a mixer when recording. In any case, with a budget so pathetic, you really don't have any other choice. The Behringer mixer, though, in my experience, is quite good for the money...I've seen them used in professional (granted local) TV studios.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
True, but some people really want a hands-on feel of a mixer when recording. In any case, with a budget so pathetic, you really don't have any other choice. The Behringer mixer, though, in my experience, is quite good for the money...I've seen them used in professional (granted local) TV studios.

A Behringer BCF-2000 is the solution, then.

But if you really want a hands on feel, don't use your computer. Get an ADAT machine, or reel-to-reel tape machine and a mixer.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i want a mixer instead of an interface because it is cheaper and, can kinda be used as an interface just to get the music onto the computer even though it'll only be one track.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
i want a mixer instead of an interface because it is cheaper and, can kinda be used as an interface just to get the music onto the computer even though it'll only be one track.

It's not an interface at all. Your stock sound card is. I think this is a horrible idea, even a USB guitar-marketed interface would be a better option.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
A Behringer BCF-2000 is the solution, then.

But if you really want a hands on feel, don't use your computer. Get an ADAT machine, or reel-to-reel tape machine and a mixer.

True, but that would be way over budget.

Actually, I forgot to ask this at the beginning 4seam, but what exactly comprises your band? I'm guessing it's two of you...singers? And any guitarists? It's tough to make any recommendations before we know your budget (below $100 makes anything outside of a basic podcast impossible).
2 geetars, 1 drummer, 1 singer, lookin for a bassist.
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by 4seampowerchord
2 geetars, 1 drummer, 1 singer, lookin for a bassist.

Hmm...even if you record one at a time, that'll be very difficult to do anything. What's the largest budget you can come up with? It may be worth it to get jobs and pool the money if you want to record that much.

I'll post a possible setup that might work here...
our budget is probably $80. I know, very little. We could probably get more, but we don't even know if we'll end up being really good and playing a lot of local shows so we wanna start cheap.
Any demo produced with that little money will probably work against you. Use that money for additional strings and drum skins.
there has to be some setup with that budget so we can just get our songs recorded to get shows. I think i'm gonna get the behringer eurorack UB502, 5 mics, and a cable to hook it up to the computer. This will work for some rough recordings right? Also, i think i just found another option. We could buy an M-Audio Jam Lab for $30 that comes with gt player express. Then, we could create drums from the hydrogen program for free. Finally, our singer has a usb mic that we could plug into the computer and use audacity to record everything. Which way is better?
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Feb 15, 2008,
For $80 you could probably get a very cheap mic or two on ebay but thats just about it...
Recording gear isnt cheap at all...not even used.

All I can suggest is you keep an eye out on ebay for some good gear deals.

Get some type of interface with two mic inputs for two drum overheads...
use the same two mics for recording everything else.
You wont be able to get everything recorded in one shot with that budget or any setup around that budget.

I could suggest you look for a used Firewire mixer on ebay, the Alesis MultiMix 8 Firewire mixer is a nice unit and im sure you could find one on ebay for around $100 if you are lucky.

Then use Reaper to multi track all the inputs and record.
you should be able to get all your inputs on a separate track with this firewire mixer.

you only would need some mics...

Another product you could try is this USB mixer:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

Thing is they usually only send out a single stereo track down the SUB line so any mics you plug into the mixer will be combined so be sure to get your levels down before recording. It's not the best way to do it but it still works.
Get all your drum mics in first, then guitars, and bass, then vocals last.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 15, 2008,
i didn't mean that we would connect a mic to the jamlab. we actually have a usb microphone that we can hook up straight to the computer.
if you can figure out a way to send the drums to a set of headphones while you record the guitar or other parts of the song it should not be hard to sync everything up.

I guess a set of PC speakers plugged into the standard output of the sound card should work, just have to set the program to play the drum track while you record the other parts.
is there latency with the jamlab. because, if there is, i'd imagine it would be extremely hard to match them up.
I would imagine there would be with such a low end interface...
but I've never used that product in person so I cant say...

you may want to see if a guitar center has one on display that you can try before buying...most of the time they have a lot of gear you can try.

Just be sure you know what you need before going and buying because most of the sales people will try to get you to spend money on things you sometimes don't need.
there are some good sales reps that know what they are talking about though and may have some good helpful suggestions for you though.