Poll: What came first?
Poll Options
View poll results: What came first?
The performance of music
22 61%
Acting
8 22%
Both at the same time; i.e. one had to exist for the other to start.
6 17%
Voters: 36.
Ok, my friend and I, the other day, had a huge (and loud) debate about the following:

What came first in the world...The PERFORMANCE of music, or acting?

She said that it was acting, and I said that it was the performance of music.

She claims that acting came to be in the very biggining of time (for humans that is), when men were jumping round the fire shouting at each other; and then music performance formed from that.

I argue that music performance came first, as music has been around since time began. Not just humans make music, other animals do aswell, sometimes as a way of communication. Also, in the times of the cave-man (and such-like), to create music, you HAD to perform it. It wasn't written down, or recorded, the making of music was simply a person, or people, playing somthing they see as capable of making music, thus performing it to whoever may have been listening at the time.

So my question is...who is right? Her, or me?

Discuss.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Her because she's woman. If you ever want any action you learn to recognize. Deep down you know your right but you must respect nature and it's evil ways.
Quote by The Hottest Day
+1. I also award you 5 internets. Spend them wisely.
Well cavemen were known to be very good actors. Wearing camouflage paint would make them blend in to the wilderness. Technically they are "acting" like part of the wilderness.

...I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Quote by akaDan
Define music for me and I'll give you an answer.

I dare you.

Nice one

Whatever people percieve as music.

For (a rough) example...

Now we all have our own opinions of what is music. Back in the time of the cave-man, they also had different ideas of music; maybe hitting rocks with sticks for instance?

If you percieve something as music, then to you, it is music.

EDIT: I tried my best at least
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
singing is pretty old, im pretty sure tthat if cavemen did something it would be like hirring rocks together and yellibg music(death metal...)(jk)but if u pretended to act r smting im pretty sure theyd look at u like WTF?
so ima say musics
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by rockdude375
Nice one

For (a rough) example...

Now we all have our own opinions of what is music. Back in the time of the cave-man, they also had different ideas of music; maybe hitting rocks with sticks for instance?

I perceive utter silence as music and I'm sure that's been around for much longer than acting.
I'd say acting, if you're willing to accept lying as a form of acting.
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Quote by ownasaurus
Her because she's woman. If you ever want any action you learn to recognize. Deep down you know your right but you must respect nature and it's evil ways.

No, tracey is wrong because she is a woman.

Get your pictures and memes right
But could a caveman hold a beat? I would think that to perform for another person for there enjoyment wasent on their agender.

But I would say music.
You can't define what is music and what is acting, instruments apeard before scrips, but plays appeard before notation, so good luck.

On a side note: I suggest permaban to all the douches that said acting

Go to "Ultimate-script" or whatever you guys have.
Quote by rockdude375
Nice one

For (a rough) example...

You can use the same argument for acting.
Is pointing acting? Cause there we go...

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Here I'll answer your question with a question:

Which came first: organized language or banging sticks on stones?
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
Here I'll answer your question with a question:

Which came first: organized language or banging sticks on stones?

Bwaaahh? You don't need to talk to act. Ever heard of Charades?
Acting.

HYPOTHESIS:

In order for man to create music he needed some sort of leisure time, that is, time when he wasn't really worried about starving to death or getting eaten by horrifying prehistoric shit. But in his earliest days man had to hunt and constantly be on guard, so he quickly developed the skill of stealth, a form of acting like you aren't there. Hunters probably used hand signs and charades to point out prey after they figured out that yelling to the others would scare it off. Sex was another factor. Man had to reproduce often to preserve the species, so he had to "act" as macho and awesome as he could to impress the females, or else his genetic information would disappear forever when he inevitably got trampled by a Mastodon. Music, however, has no survivalist benefit. If anything it would only alert predators and screw mankind over. If a very early cavemen started banging on rocks and hollering in a rhythm the smarter cavemen would not hesitate to bust a cap in his retarded ass before he jeopardized the entire group.

Acting came first.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Bwaaahh? You don't need to talk to act. Ever heard of Charades?

Without language you'll never be able to guess what the hell they are pretending to be. Hey, hey, hey!!!

Quote by SkyValley
Acting.

HYPOTHESIS:

In order for man to create music he needed some sort of leisure time, that is, time when he wasn't really worried about starving to death or getting eaten by horrifying prehistoric shit. But in his earliest days man had to hunt and constantly be on guard, so he quickly developed the skill of stealth, a form of acting like you aren't there. Hunters probably used hand signs and charades to point out prey after they figured out that yelling to the others would scare it off. Sex was another factor. Man had to reproduce often to preserve the species, so he had to "act" as macho and awesome as he could to impress the females, or else his genetic information would disappear forever when he inevitably got trampled by a Mastodon. Music, however, has no survivalist benefit. If anything it would only alert predators and screw mankind over. If a very early cavemen started banging on rocks and hollering in a rhythm the smarter cavemen would not hesitate to bust a cap in his retarded ass before he jeopardized the entire group.

Acting came first.

Yea that's what I said. But not so eloquently.

Quote by hethamulburton
Without language you'll never be able to guess what the hell they are pretending to be. Hey, hey, hey!!!

They never fully developed the game until organized language came along.
Quote by SkyValley
Acting.

HYPOTHESIS:

Acting came first.

+1
Then again if the "Out of Africa" theory is correct then music might have came first. Black people got rhythm.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
Then again if the "Out of Africa" theory is correct then music might have came first. Black people got rhythm.

Still funny a full 60 seconds later.

Quote by SeveralSpecies

They never fully developed the game until organized language came along.

Indeed. They probably would've killed any person trying to replicate a squirrel and eaten them for din din.

Quote by hethamulburton

Still funny a full 60 seconds later.

Indeed. They probably would've killed any person trying to replicate a squirrel and eaten them for din din.

Holy crap it just hit me. Imagine how weird it would be if there wasn't any sort of language. You would just stare at each other with the most confused expression.
lol 'biggining'
Quote by bassmaniac101

You are amazing.

Quote by Arch1119
^^yay photoshop...you made me lol all over myself