I am looking at purchasing a MIM standard and I recently stumbled across the FSR standard (also MIM) for about 50$ more than the standard price. Other than the natural ash look (which I adore) are there any big reasons to go for this and not just save the 50$? Any help is appreciated. Here is a link to the guitar I am referring to:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517883
~Nick
Quote by ccrnnr9
I am looking at purchasing a MIM standard and I recently stumbled across the FSR standard (also MIM) for about 50$ more than the standard price. Other than the natural ash look (which I adore) are there any big reasons to go for this and not just save the 50$? Any help is appreciated. Here is a link to the guitar I am referring to:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517883
~Nick

I'm 99% sure that's exactly what I bought about a year and a half ago at GC. The pickups aren't regular MIM Standard Strat ceramics, they're actually tex-mex pups (at least on mine they are and its really hard to tell but the ones on the picture don't look beveled either). It sounds great, very clear and bright, but it also weights more than most Strats. The ash is heavy. The only things I've done to it are put a bone nut in (the factory one was cut very poorly) and put 10s on it. I love the thing, I'll never get rid of it. To me it felt a lot more solid than other MIM Standards that I trie but that's just my opinion.
Hmmm, sounds interesting. I think that is what I will end up pulling the trigger on but I have yet to decide. How do the texmex pups differ from the ones on the standard? Sorry for the newb questions.
Quote by ccrnnr9
Hmmm, sounds interesting. I think that is what I will end up pulling the trigger on but I have yet to decide. How do the texmex pups differ from the ones on the standard? Sorry for the newb questions.

They seem pretty ideal for blues and rock stuff. I'd say they're a little hot but very clear and have that bell-like edge to them when clean. The bridge is kind of shrill/twangy unless overdriven and it's also noticeably louder than the neck and mid ones.

The regular MIM pups are, I dunno, they're alright but I just don't think they sound great. If you play them side-by-side against some better single coils they're not as clear or articulate but they tend to sound okay with some distortion. Either you like them or you don't (they don't do anything for me) but I guess the same could be said for the tex-mex ones too. I've been thinking of throwing some sort of humbucker in the bridge because I don't love that pu but like the other two. Take that for what it's worth.
The guitar's Finish is the only difference, id say if your not totally in love witrh the color scheme just save the money
i have those pickups in my guitar, i'd go for it, i love em.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitarguy5
The guitar's Finish is the only difference, id say if your not totally in love witrh the color scheme just save the money

The finish isn't quite the only difference. The body is made of ash instead of alder. The pups are different too (I'm fairly sure they're tex-mex unless they changed something since I got mine).