This is sort of a dumb question but i dont know how to approach it..........
I have been playing electric guitar for a while and never bothered to learn the notes.
I know them, i just can't get to one right away, i have to count up the frets.
Does anyone have any tips on how to approch learning quickness at remembering the notes?
Thanks alot for any help!
learn the A minor Harmonic Scale, and make note of where the G# is and go one fret down...
fins a diagram of a fretboard with the notes on it on the internet and then just try and remember them, look at it everyday, eventually you will remember it
I know the notes
it just takes me a while
eadgbe
i have to start on one of those and count my way up through
i also know the notes on the staff, so thats not unfamiliar to me because i play the trumpet, i know what keys they are on that, i dont have to think about where they are and i want to be able to do that on the guitar i just dont know an effective way of learning them
draw a fretboard on paper and fill the notes. those arent the only notes its e f f# g g# a a# b c c# d d# and repeats again
here, do it like this....

There's only 12 notes on the guitar, they just keep repeating...it's only difficult if you don't take the time to break it down.

Here...

1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of intervals along the open string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note!

Trying to learn them all at once is incredibly daunting, but if you can break it down and at spend a little time working out the notes an gradually building on your previous knowledge you'll have it down in no time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
relation between strings....if you learn the E then the rest are easy....The A string is five higher and two up on the d is an octave, etc.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
paging the seagull...
--edit- oops, should have refreshed...
Last edited by black_box at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by Jimmmoripage
i know all that crap
im just really slow
i just need an excersize or two

Well learning the fretboard is unfortunately a slow process.

Learn your major scale patterns in the 12keys and memorize the notes. Easier said then done, but this way, you'll have an easy reference through finger memory where certain notes are AND as an added bonus, will have a GREAT head start in theory.

Things already mentioned that are worth repeating/emphasizing: Intervals, octaves, "reference points" <-- re-read Seagull's post.

These are all the "quick" ways. The ACTUAL way would be to learn ACTUAL sheet music in all 7 positions of the fretboard.

EDIT:
Quote by gregs1020
Anyone else thinking the major scale?
ooo, ooo me, i am i am!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
this may seem like strange advice but those Fretlight guitars.....help alot.

When I was a kid I bought a poster of a neck....that had all the notes listed......on 12 frets.....I guess after looking at it for years.....it just embedded in my brain now.