Does anybody get what I'm saying? My riff always end up nice and heavy, but they always have an almost AC/DCish vibe, if you know what i mean.
...no
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
try playing some palm muted 0s on the low E string(while in drop D) then play 0 3 5 6 5 3 0 on the E string. then 5 8 on the A. 6 7 6 on the D. 7 8 on the A. 0 then palm muted 0 on the low E again. you should see what i mean now if you listen to some rock and roll AND deathcore/ heavy stuff
yea i know what you mean...i just tuned by guitar down half a step and occasionally put it in drop d...that stops that punkish classic rockish kinda thing
its interesting, though, how it can be uber heavy but still have a sort of classsic feel to it. it reminds me of atreyu's "It Can't Happen Here." and critics LOVE unusual influence/technique
Quote by mr synyster g
its interesting, though, how it can be uber heavy but still have a sort of classsic feel to it. it reminds me of atreyu's "It Can't Happen Here." and critics LOVE unusual influence/technique

Yeah, but you need to tread that fine line between "oh that's a bit different, COOL!" and cheese.
For about a year of the time I've spent playing guitar, all I played was stuff by Tool, so everything I wrote totally ripped them off, and it was Tool-ish alright, but it sounded cheesy because I'd put just a couple of notes wrong.
The line between YEAHHHH \M/\M/ and the music you get in Distortion Pedal advertisement videos is really pretty thin.
If you're playing Metalcore, it'll turn a fair amount of your potential audience away if there's a few notes in a riff that aren't melt-your-face heavy.
I'm not saying don't keep that influence in there, of course not. I'm saying find a way you can bring out both sides of your playing, the metal and the rock'n'roll type stuff.
For example, Lamb Of God - More Time To Kill has quite a classic rock/bluesy sounding solo (cos Mark Morton is very much influenced by that sorta stuff) over a nice heavy riff and chorus, and it sounds awesome. Try and find a way that the influences will compliment each other nicely and not turn off either of the target audiences.

Genre combos work wonders, ever wonder why Enter Shikari are so successful? All the raver kids love them, and then people that are into harder stuff like them too (such as myself.) Get it right and your band will draw in tons more fans.
I agree with the guy above me. I have a friend who has a very strong music background, and he can disect my riffs and tell me why they sound brighter, or darker. When you're playing heavy like that, bright sounds old school or comes off as cheesy. Finding the right notes to hit can make it turn dark right away.

The song in my signature has a flat chord up high that puts some air of tension on the main riff. It wasn't in the original riff, however. My friend heard it and told me to take that one chord up a half step. As soon as I did, the whole riff sounded wicked!

So my advice is A: try different stuff til you get a heavier sound... I play drop tuned (Drop C) with 12's for strings.. or B: get a friend who knows music theory like you know English.

Please check out my latest song here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785209

Or look at the one in my signature to hear that high chord I'm talking about.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music