Alright, here is the rundown folks.

I'm currently enrolled in Autobody Collision Repair shop at college, meaning we get to fix cosmetics and structural pieces, then paint the cars. How is this related to bass? Well, I'm getting there!

I have a 70's Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass, which as we know, has maple-maple unfinished neck.

Turns out someone is going to be painting on monday, and the teacher is cool for me to bring the neck in and spray some polyurethane clear coat over it with what is left (considering I only need two thin coats, this will cover it).

Comments, suggestions? Will be removing the neck from the bass over the weekend, taping off the frets, and removing tuners.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
good idea. I didnt think it was unfinshed tho. just make sure you sand it smooth between coats, and you should be good.
no need to sand, they aren't thick coats like that you would lay on a car. One pass with the spray gun will lay it on smoothly enough, and clear can adhere to clear.
HESSIAN HAREM
i dont think u need to remove the frets...theyre a bitch to get back on
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
o tapeing...nvm
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
have you played a bass with a coated neck before? I say try it out before you guy changing your bass like that, some love it, some hate it.

I don't prefer it, but it doesn't bother me, although some people stay away from coated necks at all costs, and absolutely hate them (Jazzy!) so try it out first, before you coat it
Quote by qotsa1998
good idea. I didnt think it was unfinshed tho. just make sure you sand it smooth between coats, and you should be good.

+1, wait at least a week to dry, and after that, sand VERY LIGHTLY to about 600 grit should be fine, but 800 grit would be a little thinner.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
i love the satin neck on my VM jazz. its rather silky and tiny (being a jazz and all) making it a breeze to get around on quickly. I have trouble playing my school's 80's korean made jazz because it has a very sticky high gloss neck.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Yeah... I'm kind of baffled as to who would WANT a coated neck. I mean, I could understand if you were saying you were going to sand the lacquer off. I'd be totally with you there... but get a lacquer finish? Wait... polyurethane? Why?
Quote by pie_man_25
+1, wait at least a week to dry, and after that, sand VERY LIGHTLY to about 600 grit should be fine, but 800 grit would be a little thinner.

I would start with 800 dry, 1000 to finish. Just preference really.

Yes I have played finished necks, and I like the feel of polyurethane, so I figured why not after a buddy convinced me to try one out.
HESSIAN HAREM