Hey guys what's going on? I have a few basic questions for you. I tried searching for some stuff but I didn't find what I was looking for. I am currently using Audacity to record from my amp. I don't have a problem with that except I can't figure out how to edit very good with it. I was wondering what are some very SIMPLE editing softwares? And if there is a recording/editing software that would be awesome. I don't care if it's free or not. I just want to be able to crop and join my tracks EASILY!!! Thanks!!!!
Like crop and join my tracks and such. Maybe i just need to sit down and play with it more?

For example. Let's say im just jamming. I make up something pretty cool but it is "surrounded" by all of the other stuff i made up. I just want to isolate that part for a good foundation. Now lets say it's a simple chord progression. Maybe I just want to loop it over a couple times so i can solo over it while recording. That's what im looking for.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Like crop and join my tracks and such. Maybe i just need to sit down and play with it more?

For example. Let's say im just jamming. I make up something pretty cool but it is "surrounded" by all of the other stuff i made up. I just want to isolate that part for a good foundation. Now lets say it's a simple chord progression. Maybe I just want to loop it over a couple times so i can solo over it while recording. That's what im looking for.

Yep, that's all easily done in Audacity.
There's Sony's Acid (look into a home version) and Mackie's Traction...both are very easy to use if you are willing to pay a bit. But the best thing to do, assuming you don't need loops or very good plug-ins, is to learn Audacity or KRISTAL since they're free.
Ok, i dont want to go on...but.....if you are really serious about recording, and want a good quality sound, Mackie makes a good program called Trackion that does a kick-ass job. A lot of big names in music use it because its super simple. They have Tracktion 3 out now, even a demo to try it out (thats what im using). Heres what i did...

1) Download the Tracktion 3 demo

2) Install it, then plug in your mics

3) Launch T3 and begin the setup wizard.

They also have some cool movies about how to use it. Im sure you can read that there are no drop-down menus to search endlessly for the correct thing you are looking for; they place everything right on the screen for you. Its super simple to, well edit, in a nutshell.

I used the demo for about 2 weeks, and i already bought it. It arrived today and im going to install it now.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Hey guys what's going on? I have a few basic questions for you. I tried searching for some stuff but I didn't find what I was looking for. I am currently using Audacity to record from my amp. I don't have a problem with that except I can't figure out how to edit very good with it. I was wondering what are some very SIMPLE editing softwares? And if there is a recording/editing software that would be awesome. I don't care if it's free or not. I just want to be able to crop and join my tracks EASILY!!! Thanks!!!!

I use both Audacity and Cubase SE3 and for track editing, Audacity wins hands down in my book. Once you learn how to use it, that is.

Tony
Audacity - cheap and very easy to use
Reaper - tons of features, nice layout, free (if yuo can deal with the pop up message every time you use it.)
Cubase - Not free but a nice program
Cakewalk Sonar - once again, not free but the Sonar programs are more high end and will give a lot more features.

If you are just looking to mix audio, go with Audacity, its more of an editor anyways.
If you want a ton of FX and such, Reaper is the way to go but takes some time to learn.

Your skills at using the program as well as your hardware for audio input/output are your limits on how good the quality will be in your audio.

Audacity is the easiest and best for editing, it does take time to learn any program so just take some time and go though the help file.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 14, 2008,
i like mixcraft. it's really easy to use, that's why i like it. you can get a demo at the acoustica website.
Is there a sticky for recording software? If not I suggest we make one, I see this question asked fairly often.