Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Tried various tech forums with limited success, hopefully someone here could help me out (I'm completely useless when it comes to hardware related issues).

I have a problem where by my pc likes to turn itself off. To reboot it I have to take the power cable out, wait 10seconds and put it back in. I've narrowed it down to my graphics card (gf 8500gt) and when I run off the onboard gfx it stays on fine, however, that doesn't bode to well for gaming. So today I tried a friend's gf 7200 in order to find out whether or not it was just a faulty card but the same problem arose.
My CPU temp is 47-49degrees, that's normal right? I've had my pc on for hours using onboard graphics, just put in my graphics card there and it turned itself off after 15secs. Surely that's got nothing to do with over heating?
Could this be a PSU issue in that my PC doesn't have the power to run a gfx card?

My PC ran fine for 3months before this started happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers
My guess, your graphics card is broken. Sounds to me like the GPU is overheating and so turning your computer off before it exploderizes.

Take it back or get a new one.

Quote by guitarmannn
Get. A. Mac.

because macs don't have graphics cards?
In my post I said I've tried another graphics card, same problem.
open your pc and clean out all the dust, i had the exact same problem.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

its definetly the psu. it turns itself off either because it doesnt have the power to run the rest of the computer or it wants to save itself from damage.
The problem does NOT arise when my GPU is out, hence it's not a wiring issue.
Anyone else backs me up saying its the power supply dying?
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
Quote by SeannT
In my post I said I've tried another graphics card, same problem.

Ah sorry misunderstood.
Well then, it must be your PSU. Get a better one.
Quote by guitarmannn
Get. A. Mac.

Shut up. Macs aren't that great...

just like the Patriots.
<Han> I love Hitler
Whoever said it was the PSU (a few people) that's the issue

The PSU is basically the thing that plugs into the wall and supplies the power to everything else. Different PSUs have different wattage ratings. Obviously, your PSU needs to supply enough power to power all your components. Your graphics card uses a HELL lot of power, so you're gonna need a much bigger PSU.

you can order one off Newegg and any computer technician can install it for you. Just check with the techie first to make sure the PSU will fit in your case and is sufficient to power your system.
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
Quote by HaKattack

Macs really ARE that great.

TS, I had a similar problem (on my PC) but it was my RAM that was faulty so I can't be of much help...
Quote by HaKattack

just like the Patriots.

OMG you are so cool.
Quote by guitarmannn
OMG you are so cool.

You too, coming into a PC help thread and instead of doing some silly thing like HELPING him, telling him to get a new computer. Helpful AND original.
<Han> I love Hitler
You've been looking at pr0n, haven't you? tsk tsk tsk.

Seriously though, I don't know. Maybe it's overheating. Maybe there's just dust in it, like the other guy said. Sorry dude.
GO YANKEES!
Quote by HaKattack

just like the Patriots.

Quote by HaKattack
You too, coming into a PC help thread and instead of doing some silly thing like HELPING him, telling him to get a new computer. Helpful AND original.

Yeh, because you're real helpful
I had this problem once. I think the PSU was on it's last legs, or couldn't power the graphics card properly.

PSU = power supply. Got a new one and it's cool now. Had this pc about 7 years...
Hm...Sounds like the fan is burnt out. I'd recommend getting a new one and having someone install it.

Also, if you're sure you fan is turning okay, like not running faster or anything, just open the side of the CPU and make sure there are no dust obstructions blocking the fan from the CPU.
Quote by SeannT
Hey guys,

Tried various tech forums with limited success, hopefully someone here could help me out (I'm completely useless when it comes to hardware related issues).

I have a problem where by my pc likes to turn itself off. To reboot it I have to take the power cable out, wait 10seconds and put it back in. I've narrowed it down to my graphics card (gf 8500gt) and when I run off the onboard gfx it stays on fine, however, that doesn't bode to well for gaming. So today I tried a friend's gf 7200 in order to find out whether or not it was just a faulty card but the same problem arose.
My CPU temp is 47-49degrees, that's normal right? I've had my pc on for hours using onboard graphics, just put in my graphics card there and it turned itself off after 15secs. Surely that's got nothing to do with over heating?
Could this be a PSU issue in that my PC doesn't have the power to run a gfx card?

My PC ran fine for 3months before this started happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

wait, is that celsius or farenheit? if that's farenheit then yes that's normal. if that's celsius, then it's a good bit high.

other things could be a problem with the interface itself. take your compy to a decent repair shop and have them take a look at it.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by bequickorbedead
Yeh, because you're real helpful

I didn't say I was. I'm sick of seeing everyone posting "GET A MAC!! LOLOZZLZ" in threads when it's not helping at all.
<Han> I love Hitler
Especially since a mac won't fix your problems, it's useless out of the box so it can't really "break".
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by SeannT
I have a problem where by my pc likes to turn itself off. To reboot it I have to take the power cable out, wait 10seconds and put it back in.

I have the same problem.
Only once it is on it's fine, it's just booting up that's the problem.
And i need 10 mins instead of seconds.
Quote by HaKattack
I didn't say I was. I'm sick of seeing everyone posting "GET A MAC!! LOLOZZLZ" in threads when it's not helping at all.

I know you didn't say you where, but don't go telling other people to be more helpful when you are being as helpful as they are, if not less, because we all know getting a Mac is the best option.
Quote by HaKattack

I'm sick of you saying "GAWSH GUYS! YOU'RE REALLY HELPING HIM... N0T!!!"

Wow, I'm such a hypocrit.
GO YANKEES!
Quote by bequickorbedead
I know you didn't say you where, but don't go telling other people to be more helpful when you are being as helpful as they are, if not less, because we all know getting a Mac is the best option.

That's not fact, it's opinion. I happen to think Macs are useless pieces of ****, along with iPods, iPhones, and their accessories. Overpriced, overhyped, simplified bull****.

IMHO

EDIT: To TS, my computer was doing that. I cleaned the dust out of the fans and around the GPU and whatnot and then it ran fine.
Rig

^ I take it you haven't used any of them?

Quote by Yanks4Life92
I'm sick of you saying "GAWSH GUYS! YOU'RE REALLY HELPING HIM... N0T!!!"

Wow, I'm such a hypocrit.

That makes two of you, well three of us I suppose
Quote by bequickorbedead
^ I take it you haven't used any of them?

That makes two of you, well three of us I suppose

I don't think he has...he'll change......they will ALL change
Quote by Green RATM Day
I don't think he has...he'll change......they will ALL change

That's so true, it's ridiculous the amount of he people that I know that are like "OMG, Macs are so overpriced and crap, you can get a much better PC for the price" and end up getting a Mac a few months later...
Quote by bequickorbedead
we all know getting a Mac is the best option.

I actually didn't know that.
<Han> I love Hitler
I've used macs. Plenty of times. I used to have one. Two of my friends have macs. My PC can do more than they can, does it faster, and it is more versatile. You're the ones being ignorant twats.
Rig

Power supply.
2002 Epiphone Goth G400 SG
B.C. Rich Warlock custom
1986 Washburn RR2 Flying V
1991 Peavey Falcon II Stratocaster
Quote by HaKattack
I actually didn't know that.

You do now.

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
I've used macs. Plenty of times. I used to have one. Two of my friends have macs. My PC can do more than they can, does it faster, and it is more versatile. You're the ones being ignorant twats.

Bullshit.

Do more? Macs now have bootcamp so they can run XP/Vista, and can do anything a PC can plus more.

Faster? My mac can run XP faster using bootcamp than my PC can run it, even thugh they have identical specs.
Whatever you say. I've had nothing but trouble with them and I've never had any trouble with a PC. Just my personal experience. Like I said, you're the one being an ignorant twat. Oh no, someone has a different opinion than me and doesn't like something I do! ****ING DEAL WITH IT.
Rig

Page 1 of 2