Hey guys, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to gear and I've got a question. What is the point of having an effects pedal since so many amps nowadays have effects built in? Can you get a wider variety of effects with a pedal than the amp effects can provide? Do pedals provide better tone, etc? Thanks for the info.
You get a better sound when you buy effects pedals separately. The amp effects/multi-effects pedals tend to have a"jack of all trades, master of none" thing goin' on.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
A lot of the amps that have FX built in are solid state. Seeing as tube amps are in 99% of cases better, people need FX pedals to get the FX they want.

I probably worded that really spazzy but it's late.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by dudetheman
You get a better sound when you buy effects pedals separately. The amp effects/multi-effects pedals tend to have a"jack of all trades, master of none" thing goin' on.

Ya...that.

Even with a good tube amp distortion, people want to overdrive that to get some tones not achievable without the pedals. And try finding an amp with all the effects (chorus, reverb, distortion, flanger, phaser, wah , etc.) that someone would want.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by dudetheman

+1

That pretty much why...and not all amps come with everything, especially stuff like Wah and Whammy.
Ok guys, that helps out alot. Thanks for the input. Now, I thought I read somewhere that tube amps were older technology than solid state amps. If this is true, what makes tube amps better? An older amp technology being superior seems counterintuitive to what one might think. Thanks again.
Solid states are very harsh and digital sounding. Almost sterile. They don't have the warmth that tube amps have.

Tube amps go louder as well.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Pedals are just plain fun. They're great for making your own sound instead of the presets on a solid state amp's digital effects. Listen to Jack White, all he has are fuzzes and octave pedals and you can't recreate those with just an amp.
Check out the stickies on this forum -- you'll find lots of information comparing different types of amplifiers.
Quote by dudetheman

Not to mention you're just adding more crap to the circuit of the amp. Also it would jack up the price of the amp when not everyone would even want them anyway.
Quote by Dazed/Confused
Ya...that.

Even with a good tube amp distortion, people want to overdrive that to get some tones not achievable without the pedals. And try finding an amp with all the effects (chorus, reverb, distortion, flanger, phaser, wah , etc.) that someone would want.

vox valvetronix. the effects arent extremely high quality, but they are pretty good for onboard effects.
Whats the point of a toilet if we have outhouses?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer