so i need a new amp to play out with(about 100w). so far, iv been usin the other guitarists amp, but of course, the two guitars in one amp dont rly sound the greatest.
my price range is about 300 to 400, but if it is rly worth it, il go up to 500. my band plays mainly punk, but we also are also pretty influenced by some metal.
gain is not something im not too concerned about w/ amps, because i hav a distortion pedals.
some amps iv looked at so far are:

Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp

Crate FlexWave Series FW120 120W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp

iv almost completely taken out the marshall, based on nyumerous bad reviews
i also have a question about tube amps
im not too familiar w/ them, but based on what iv read, iv come to the conclusion that tube amps are genarly louder than sollid state amps, but i rly dont kno for a fact
if it is true, i would consider a 50w peavy valveking 112 combo, but if its not true and its worth it, i would save up for the 100w
u are also welcome to offer any other amps that you feel would work
thanks in advance
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

No MG. Ever. Trust me.

Fender Frontmans suck as well. The Flexwave is good, but you could get a much better tube amp for that price.

Try: Laney *insert here, not much of a laney guy but someone should help me out here*
Palomino V3212 (american if availiable)
Peavey Valveking
Traynors are good as well, or so I've been told.

All of these tube combos will be louder than those you posted, and sound so much better.

And you don't need 100 watts. 30 will be fine for any situation (aside from stadiums...)
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
For the money you can get way better amps than you have listed. The 50w valveking would be louder than you would ever want to play it. With an od you can easily do metal. I've heard that swapping the tubes and the speaker makes it a pretty great amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
fender hot rod deluxe. seriously get one, but you might have to buy one used because they're expensive.
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
tube amps are louder, and all around better, but...that comes with a price. Most tube amps are gonna be more than 500. just be sure to try out any amp youre interested in
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
save for the valveking. tubes are an excellent investment.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
all amps are loud, a mini amp size of a fist is at least as half as loud as a 75w one. Id say line 6 is the way to go, valve is good, but if you're playin in small clubs no1 will really hear the difference-its the player that makes the setup not the other way around. anyways, line 6 spider 3 has presets so you can get a marshall a peavy and mesa all in one box, and the 120w one is relativley small (roughly the size of a stack head if I remember correctly), and should be in the price range.
aight, thanks, i guess il go w/ the peavey
but just to be sure, the 50 w will be good enough? or should i save for the 100w?
Quote by STorpedo
all amps are loud, a mini amp size of a fist is at least as half as loud as a 75w one. Id say line 6 is the way to go, valve is good, but if you're playin in small clubs no1 will really hear the difference-its the player that makes the setup not the other way around. anyways, line 6 spider 3 has presets so you can get a marshall a peavy and mesa all in one box, and the 120w one is relativley small (roughly the size of a stack head if I remember correctly), and should be in the price range.

Wow, do not listen to this guy. Spider are practice amps. The 120w is a 120w practice amp. Poor quality, poor tone, poor price. Avoid.
Quote by cap'n curry
but just to be sure, the 50 w will be good enough? or should i save for the 100w?

Definitely more than enough. 30 watts is considered the threshold to get over a drum and not have your amp start distorting. Hell, if you're mic'd you could use one of the 9volt battery amps.
Quote by STorpedo

Please don't get a Spider III, you'll regret it later when you have a bunch of sounds "all in one box" but it sounds digital and awful.

And don't buy your amp based solely on loudness, that's what I did when I knew nothing and I'd kill for a tube amp now.
Valveking, I got mine like new/2 weeks old for 329.00 0n ebay w/footswitch and volume box. A tube change or speaker change is a great move. Some enjoy the amp without the change but I felt that it benefited from it. Also, Bad Monkey overdrive in conjunction with the gain channel is a great and cleans are very nice.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by cap'n curry

If you're dealing with tube,[most of the time] 50w will completely obliterate 100w SS.

And also sound about 50x better due to the natural power tube overdrive.

BUY A TUBE AMP, unless you have a PA and want the tone you're getting right now to just be louder...then all you have to do, is mic it up...and huzzah.

I managed to find my VK for $270 , you might get lucky too ...on ebay that is.

Quote by Lynchworm
Valveking, I got mine like new/2 weeks old for 329.00 0n ebay w/footswitch and volume box. A tube change or speaker change is a great move. Some enjoy the amp without the change but I felt that it benefited from it. Also, Bad Monkey overdrive in conjunction with the gain channel is a great and cleans are very nice.

How's that working out for you? I remember a while ago, we were talking about the Bm with the Fish and Chips...and I have the BM on the way to my house as we speak And I'm planning to get the EQ next week, as well.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by cap'n curry

The 50 watt will be all the volume you'll ever need.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
How's that working out for you? I remember a while ago, we were talking about the Bm with the Fish and Chips...and I have the BM on the way to my house as we speak And I'm planning to get the EQ next week, as well.

Pretty well, Right now I am running The EQ with the bad monkey set @
level @3 o'clock
gain @9 o'clock
low @11 o'clock
treble @2 o'clock

I add it to my Valveking distortion which is at around 5-6 o'clock and love it. It cleans up the muddiness on the distortion channel and boost channel and gives it more of an a lively tone.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Why do you need 100w?!?!?!? Where are you playing that you need that big of an amp? Get a smaller tube amp, 30 watts or so, and if you really want to lose your hearing, 50 watts will do it.